Which dog for my flower shop?

(46 Posts)
littleflowerlady Sun 28-Apr-13 08:53:15

I'm thinking about getting a dog...

I have a flower shop and would really like to take him/her to work. Ideal candidate would need to be calm and good with people/children. I have this vision that the dog would be able to roam freely in the shop. Not too much tail wagging either as I want my flowers to go out of the shop with their petals intact!

Anyone have any suggestions?

boomting Tue 14-May-13 14:50:34

Papillon - excellent temperaments and very friendly (ours disturbed a burglar and went to make friends with the burglar). Tails are quite waggy, but they are also very furry so won't have the damaging effect of an overexcited labrador, for instance. Plus, as they are so small you should be able to prevent damage by raising up any flowers a little.

LadyTurmoil Sat 04-May-13 23:00:27

I've been looking at nursing homes for my aunt sad. One had a chilled out greyhound in the lobby area which was lovely, another home had a black Labrador. I liked those homes the best of all the ones I visited!

digerd Sat 04-May-13 21:34:53

Lhasa Apso. Really chilled, non-aggressive, non-hyper, but stubborn.
Mine sleeps like a cat when not eating or going out for walkies.
Some are wary of strangers, others not, but all very well-behaved , friendly and quiet. They do need their glorious coats combing through often to avoid matting.

As a non-dog person I can think of very few things lovelier than going into a florist to be greeted by a lounging,slinky greyhound with a whip-like tail.They are without doubt THE most elegant dogs in creation.

Only issue would be the bottom burps- reputed to empty a room.
Not what your looking for in a Florist really...unless you discretely apply a cork...grin

MNBlackpoolandFylde Sat 04-May-13 08:06:07

There are several shops near me with dogs, one is a lab but fairly old. The others are all whippet/greyhound types who cannot be bothered to even lift their heads when you walk in. grin

Def whippet/grey/lurcher. And there are loads of older calm ones around. Solar powered couch potatoes is the perfect description.

They are also stunningly beautiful animals so in keeping. Local posh frock shop has whippet lounging in window always makes me smile.

Would need to be flower friendly though. Mine likes to bite heads off tulips! Don't know where you are but grwe and celia cross are fab rescues.

MissBetseyTrotwood Tue 30-Apr-13 21:23:18

Small greyhound/whippet.

People centric, lazy, most often quiet.

I would so come to your shop if it had a pointy in it. Only if there were room for my two though! wink

lougle Tue 30-Apr-13 14:12:38

My Staffy adores flowers. He raises his nose in the air and shuts his eyes as he sniffs grin. He wouldn't eat them either.

You would have a free of charge petal carpet though smile

CMOTDibbler Tue 30-Apr-13 14:04:53

Evesham lurcher rescue have just posted on FB that they have a whippet x Bedlington 9 month old girl in. She looks gorgeous

SunnyL Tue 30-Apr-13 10:51:04

Ditto Behindlock ditto. Shops with pointy dogs would be high on my list for repeat custom.

Yippee for possible grey or whippety thing. Did you know that apparently greyhounds are most in need of rehoming as a breed (due to fecking racing industry) so you would be doing a fab thing!

And as a pointy dog lover, if I knew of a flowershop (or any shop for that matter) in my area which had a pointy dog I would be shopping there for sure even if it was not my nearest.

littleflowerlady Tue 30-Apr-13 07:27:06

Thanks everyone. Loads of really useful advice on here.

I'll speak to the rescue centre and see what they say. There is space for a bed out the back and I could close the door if necessary. Sounds like greyhound/lurcher/whippet is probably the way to go!

MothershipG Tue 30-Apr-13 07:01:26

A friend of mine inherited her Mum's King Charles Spaniel and he goes to work in her partner's chi chi gift shop everyday, he is very chilled and well behaved. Then they got a JRT x chihuahua pup who is amazingly cute but completely insane and a disaster in the shop!

saintmerryweather Tue 30-Apr-13 06:27:57

Theres no guarantee that a cavapoo wont shed, my friends cavapoo sheds heavily. he is also high energy, always wants to play and wags his tail a lot. i think its the poodle in him. hes also intelligent and wants to be on the go doing stuff.

Not sure about cavapoo (sorry), my friend has one and he does shed, is pretty hyper and barks all the time....
He is utterly adorable though, but certainly a bit of a livewire grin

MrsWolowitz Mon 29-Apr-13 22:36:25

I know this will be controversial but cavapoo a are wonderful.

I have a cockerpoo but they are pretty loopy. Cavapoos are a bit smaller snd are very chilled and don't loose their hair so your customers wouldn't be getting hair all over their clothes.

Whippety greyhound, definately.
I have a rescue Whippet lurcher. He is a smidge taller than a whippet and a dog of very little brain.
He will spend all day every day snuggled up somewhere cosy, he is not overly waggy unless running about in the woods or playing fetch with dd. He is not really a real dog, more of a cushion with long legs!
He loves being fussed and loved but will wait for people to approach him, he is not a demanding, pushy, in-your-face type of dog.

In fact, he is so gentle he would be the perfect addition to a flower shop (but you can't have him, he is mine!! grin)

Quodlibet Mon 29-Apr-13 20:51:20

Now I am proper gone hearing about poor Sunny's sister's greyhound collecting all the things! <weepy hormonal pg lady>

milkybarsrus Mon 29-Apr-13 15:59:59

I have a shih tzu puppy, he is gorgeous, doesn't shed, small but not yappy, very friendly, small in height but a bit stocky, real cute factor as he has a teddy bear look about him. Puppies are hard work and need lots of training though, but their worth it!

Frettchen Mon 29-Apr-13 15:09:56

Meant to add - I know of two local village hardware shops with little old grumbly dogs in them. Also a garage with a parrot, and a garden centre which had a parrot and a couple of cats. It seems fairly common for local privately-owned shops, and I don't think they lose much custom. So long as dog's bed/crate is tucked out of the way so (s)he can get some peace it would be lovely!

Frettchen Mon 29-Apr-13 15:06:58

Definitely pop into a rescue and have a chat with the staff about your requirements. I would guess you'll be better off with an older dog.

I work in an office with my dog (mostly lab, with a enough of something else to take the edge off) and she sleeps for most of the day. She's 11 now, and has been coming to work for 3 or 4 years. It's only in the last half-year or so I've had her off lead in the office, because it wasn't appropriate for her to be wandering around. She has a lunchtime walk, as well as before and after work; as she's old, she's not so fussed about long romps through field and woodland.

SunnyL Mon 29-Apr-13 14:30:03

Definately a lurcher, whippet or greyhound. They don't tend to be particularly territorial so won't bark when someone comes in the shop. They are also solar powered couch potatoes so won't get off their beds unless they've had at least 2 hours lying in the sun. We always joke that my mum's lurcher would let a burglar walk straight in the house and nick the telly if the radiator was on behind her bed.

My sister has a retired greyhound. He's lovely but has a few abandonment issues. When the family are out he goes around the house collecting 1 item of clothing for each person then cuddles them in his bed. Nightmare in winter trying to find gloves and hats!

Although saying that I have a collie x labrador x retriever who comes to work with me. She loves the office and everyone loves her. Unfortunately I don't think she'd be suitable for a shop as she's quite hairy and has to say hello to everyone who comes into the office. Some people don't like being met by a dog at the door. A lurcher or greyhound definately couldn't be arsed meeting everyone and would stay in their bed.

WMDinthekitchen Mon 29-Apr-13 14:25:29

It is not so much the breed but the training. You are serving members of the public, some of whom might be intimated or afraid of a dog even if it is very quiet and well-behaved. If the dog is properly trained and thoroughly obedient at all times (if that is possible) and you have a back area where he/she can be put behind a door if any customers are afraid then it might be OK. It would, however, be very off-putting for customers and distracting for employees if the dog barked every time a customer or delivery person came in.

Also, will you have time to exercise the dog properly? All sorts of behavioural problems and unhappiness for the dog can result if not. Reading posts from poorpaws and Bunnylion it would seem that it's possible but nothing is guaranteed.

Bunnylion Mon 29-Apr-13 14:11:54

I take my 2 year old boxer to work and he's an angel! But I have known many MANY boxers who would be an absolute nightmare in that situation. Even within a breed, their are a lot of different characters, energy levels, phobias and social skills.

A rescue centre will know each individual dogs character and be in the best position to match you.

My dog roams the shop but he will get in his bed under my desk within 5 seconds of me telling him to when I see someone coming to the front door. I then ask if the person is ok with dogs and reassure them that he's very friendly before he's allowed out his bed - if he's awake. I also have a door to the back office that I can easily close him behind if anyone comes in who is allergic or frightened of dogs.

One thing to consider - although fully house trained, I'm not sure my male dog would be able to resist cocking his leg on all those lovely smelling plants smile

poorpaws Mon 29-Apr-13 00:34:57

My whippet x border collie stayed with my daughter and her partner when I was ill and she went to work with future son in law in his garage every day. Apparently she was a dream, loved the customers and they loved her. She was quiet, well behaved and well just lovely. She had her own little area with a blanket and would just lie there quietly between customers. When I got better he didn't really want to give her back to me and the customers always asked about her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now