she was limping a bit yesterday, but not enough to make me overly concerned, thought she may have a bruised pad (couldn't see anything obviously wrong with it)
then when my dh got up this morning, he woke me and said she wouldn't go out with him like usual. (she sleeps at the side of the bed and usually goes with him in the mornings at about half 4 - he milks cows) but she comes back quickly (she's more of a family dog)
When I got up, she couldn't get up she was trying, but it was as if she had lost the use of her back end
so i got the dc to school and took her to the vets.
They said 3 options - surgery (which just isn't feasible for us to even consider) and may not work anyway.
or give anti inflammortories for a week or 2 and hope she recovers with some rest and nursing ( though very slim chance )
I am so so sad.... and she knows it too bless her. They have said she is feeling no pain ( she is basically paralysed and also on the painkillers/anti inflammatories) so we just have to keep our fingers crossed and wait and see.
anyone had the same thing happen? (hoping for miracle stories!)
I haven't any experience, but just wanted to say how sorry I am. Do try with the tablets, and keep her rested - EVEN if she does want to go and run around. Fingers crossed, this must be such a shock for you all.
depending on the nature of the problem, which cant be properly diagnosed without contrast xrays or mri, a recovery is certainly possible. Have seen completely paralysed dacshunds walk again. BUT rest is the key, literally cage rest as the more she moves about, the less chance there is of recovery. it usually also is more like 6 weeks than one or two. if she is in no pain it is worth a try at least. just make sure that she is passing urine and poohing ok as she will become uncomfortable if she cant will keep fingers crossed
Not the same - but our collie broke her cruciate ligament (that holds the knee together). Similar prognosis - extortionately expensive operation that might not work, PTS, or complete rest and see what happens). We went with the complete rest (not easy with a collie). And she recovered well and had another good few years.
I hope it works out with your collie. It sounds like you are round and about during the day so at least she won't get too lonely.
not really, has been small improvement in that she can sit up, but cannot wee, so am having to manually empty her bladder.
vet thinks after further tests it is more likely to be spinal stroke, and that if no better ( no miracle! ) by monday we should pts
vet has been brill, and seems v. worried about how i am coping, and says that normally they would have them stay into do the nursing, but I know poor Fizz would hate being away from us, and am managing ok.
My gut feeling is if you are coping and she seems happy enough then give her longer to recover. If she seems really sad and you are struggling to cope as well - then it is time to call it a day.
We were lucky that our 8 year old collie recovered from the cruciate ligament - but a few years later when she suddenly (overnight) started voiding blood and looking really really sad we gave a day of rehydration at the vets, but when she was not improving a day or so later we decided she had had enough. Still miss her 3 years later, despite having other dogs.
I can't help, OP, but I just wanted to say that I'm thinking of you and your poor dog. I've got a collie lying on the floor in front of me and wouldn't know what to do in your position. I'm so sorry, OP
alicetrefusis money is a major part, but not the only thing - the vet herself said she wouldn't recommend it - it may not work, and there is nothing to stop it recurring. Anyway things have progressed somewhat from that point. We are now sure it is a spinal stroke rather than a slipped disc.
have been to the vet this morning. We have been agonising all weekend and swinging between what to do, but yesterday i was convinced when I helped her wee she could feel it. She is also moving her tail, although it is hard to know if it is something she means to do iykwim.
anyway, had left it that if no improvement vet would come here and pts (as they were already out on a routine visit at the farm this morning, but would be a different vet to the one we have been seeing), I had also made an appt in case of any improvement. I felt sure the vet would still say pts, but wanted her seen again to put my mind at rest. I couldn't be sure if I was just hoping so much for improvement that I was seeing some where there was none.
BUT - The vet agreed with me and thinks she may have some feeling back in her toes!!
We have agreed to carry on as we are for another week, and after that as long as improvements continue. I also have some physio exercises to do with her.
It will be a long slow thing, and full recovery is unlikely, but if she can walk around here I would be thrilled with that!
Far from certain yet, but am definitely feeling a little more hopeful!
the dc have been very good so far. They love her, and her them. Has been a bit of an emotional roller coaster for us all, as every time we have taken her to the vets they have said good bye, not knowing if she would come back.
I think if the worst does happen, at least they will know we have done all we could for her, and I really think it's them that is making her want to get better