Dog biting foot - any ideas?

(3 Posts)
musicposy Wed 03-Apr-13 00:46:04

After all the snow, our younger dog was chewing all her feet. I did wonder if she got chilblains as she loved the snow and was playing in it with the DCs a lot. She's got out of the biting habit now except for just one foot which she still has a good old chew on quite regularly. I can't see anything and the dog groomer had a really thorough look at it and can also see nothing. I think she's possibly got into a habit now which has set up a cycle.

I bought some dog bootees for the foot for when we are not watching her but she gets them off. I tried a baskerville muzzle just for straight after she returns from walks (her worst biting time) but she hated that and pawed constantly at it - and also got it off.

I think I need to get her checked at the vet now, just in case there is something. But I'm betting it's going to mean an Elizabethan collar and I remember the fun that was after she was spayed! hmm

Anyone had similar problems?

minicreamegg Wed 03-Apr-13 12:57:26

My dog likes to chew her paws and luck her private area quite a lot hmm. She's been tested at the vet for food allergies/urine infections but got the all clear so turns out she's just a dog that likes to eat/lick feet.

poorpaws Fri 05-Apr-13 00:04:37

I had a dog who licked her paws after being in snow and it was little hard balls of snow between her "toes", then it became a habit.

I now have another one who chews her paws after a walk. We live in a particularly muddy area and I think she just cleans her paws as she doesn't do it at any other time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now