not keen on walkies

(7 Posts)
furbaby Tue 02-Apr-13 20:31:52

Hi looking for a bit of advise .
We have 2 staffys , one is 16 and not into walking far any more , spends her time between basket sofa and garden , this I can understand but our 13 yearold boy has gone from long walks of up 3 hours to walking up the road and just stopping . He refuses to walk any further .
If I take him out across the fields he is fine and is full of life .
We are lucky that we have fields behind the house so can choose this option but getting fed up with muddy walks in field and don, t understand why he won, t road walk anymore
He has, nt had any scares from road walks and his paws and legs seem fine so any ideas why after 13 years he has got fussy about his walks .

SpicyPear Tue 02-Apr-13 20:52:50

Maybe he doesn't enjoy them so much as field walks and as he's now older and it's more effort and harder on his joints, he's decided he'd rather stop road walks altogether?

furbaby Tue 02-Apr-13 20:57:59

Mmm yes you could be right Spicypear , maybe its just him getting picky about what walk he wants to go on .
Was more worried that I was missing something (health wise)
He has always been a dog who knows what he wants smile

I am certainly not an expert but wondered the same thing, whether the soft ground is just easier for him? Hope he's ok.

furbaby Tue 02-Apr-13 21:38:33

Hi needastrongone , don, t fully understand the staffy logic as fields have either been frozen or knee deep in mud so thought road walk would be easier .
If only he could talk to me , when I get his lead he is so excited but as soon as we get a few steps up road he refuses to move .

SpicyPear Tue 02-Apr-13 22:18:16

There's nothing quite like a Staffie who has decided they're not moving any further. SpicyDog is like this in the rain. We have been laughed at by many a passerby!

Today she had enough of her run in the field and trotted off to the near the exit, laid down with her tennis ball and had a good chomp on it while the pup and I finished up!

furbaby Tue 02-Apr-13 22:28:05

Arrr poor spicydog at least she is polite enough to wait for pup smile
Our boy hates the rain as well , poor chap staffs seem to have very little protection when its raining , our boy will go to back door see its raining then ask to look out of front door to see what weather is doing that side .... bless him he can be so very smart most of the time but very dim on occasions

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now