Adopting an adult dog who won't get in the car

(18 Posts)
brunette123 Tue 02-Apr-13 16:25:11

hiya I am looking at adopting a retired greyhound but he won't jump into the car - my previous greyhounds readily jumped in and loved the car - and it will be an issue if I have to lift him in all the time as he is a big dog and it is difficult on my own plus I may sometimes have 'nice' clothes on.
Any advice? I do need a dog who will travel on short journeys - he is ok once in but it feels like a workout getting him in.
many thanks

Frettchen Tue 02-Apr-13 17:16:01

Will he use a ramp or a step? It's a bit less hassle than lifting...

brunette123 Tue 02-Apr-13 17:20:28

I don't know - I don't have a ramp to try neither do the kennels and I won't be able to carry the ramp around as I have another dog that will need to be able to travel with him so there won't be room

Frettchen Tue 02-Apr-13 17:24:18

Hmm... another option, although it depends on your car, would be to let him get in through the back door; if you can fold the seats forward enough that he'll climb in that way. It's a bit of a faff though...

CMOTDibbler Tue 02-Apr-13 17:26:38

My adopted lurcher wouldn't jump in the car on his own - he just didn't know about cars, and if this greyhound is an ex racer he wouldn't either.

We've worked on it, and after lots of treats in the car, calling from the other side, and generally making getting in the car a positive experience, he now leaps in with no problems.

brunette123 Tue 02-Apr-13 17:43:58

I have a 4x4 so getting in the back door when seats are down is no lower and more awkward to be honest. My current dog who is an ex-racer always loved the car and jumped straight in. Also other retired racers at the kennels have also jumped straight in so it seems to depend entirely on the dog and it is so hard trying to find a dog with the right temperament to fit with my current dog and that will travel as we go and visit people and go for walks elsewhere so would benefit the dog as much as would make my life easier
thanks

SpicyPear Tue 02-Apr-13 17:45:25

I had to train my adopted staffie over a couple of months. Was so delighted when she first hopped in that i called DH!

brunette123 Tue 02-Apr-13 17:47:16

lol spicy pear!

pgcestudent Tue 02-Apr-13 17:50:24

Our whippet had to be picked up and put in the car for the first year. I admit this is considerably easier for a whippy than a greyhound though.

We used lots of livercake thrown in the boot etc and eventually he would jump in. Now he does 90% of the time.

pinguwings Tue 02-Apr-13 18:14:08

We recently adopted a collie cross who we had to lift in to the car for the first week or so. We worked out that pretty much every time she had been in a car before she had gone to a new rescue center or foster home. The poor girl was terrified of where she might end up.

We spent time building up positive relations with the car, going on really short drives to parks. Lots of treats and praise.

She now happily jumps in. Still gets a bit car sick but we're working on that...

brunette123 Tue 02-Apr-13 18:21:20

that is interesting pinguwings - I sort of thought most greyhounds would like travelling as they thought they were going racing................maybe not

It's almost unknown for an ex racer to be a poor traveller since they have to travel a lot during their racing career, - however, he may well have travelled in a crate so might not be used to hopping in and out under his own steam. A dog that didn't travel would have a very much shorter life expectancy. Do you know your dog's racing history? You could consider a travel crate - excellent for safety too - and it might make him feel more at home/comfortable.

I would look at two things - it's possible dog has knackered hips and can't jump up into the vehicle. Secondly, if it's not a medical issue, I'd simply build up with treats and lots of positive training - livercake an excellent idea. So click and treat for dog being near the car, then by back door, then dog in back with door open, dog in back with door shut, then engine running, and so on, making sure to give lots of treats and praise for each stage.

EuroShaggleton Tue 02-Apr-13 18:37:34

I wondered about the hips too. We had a retriever who hopped in quite happily when young but couldn't manage it when older. She would pop her front paws up and then look around as if to say "please deal with the rear" until someone gave her a hand!

One of ours was massively over raced and had knackered hips to start with. These gradually improved but she still likes DH to lift her in - if he is around she will simply gaze adoringly at him until he picks her up and pops her in the boot. Mysteriously the same hips never give any trouble when chasing squirrels. grin

brunette123 Tue 02-Apr-13 18:42:15

hiya
don't think it is a medical issue - dog is only 4 and didn't wince or anything when I helped/hoisted him. Not sure I can have crate as I have another greyhound and there would not be room. The treat thing is a good idea - I have obviously been spoilt having greyhounds who loved being in the car and couldn't wait for boot to be opened - my current greyhound would happily sit in the car parked on drive all day if allowed!

elastamum Tue 02-Apr-13 18:42:48

I would check if he has a hip problem. My eldest girl has dodgy joints and couldnt jump into the car even if she wanted to. I have to pick her up - she is 40kg! We also built a have a ramp for our motorhome so she can get in. she still manages to jump onto my bed with a run up though smile

Yes, it's one of the many benefits of the breed that they are in general such good travellers. Ours love going out in the car for adventures.

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersFiancee Wed 03-Apr-13 14:59:50

WRT a possible hip problem, it doesn't really matter what age the Greyhound is tbh, there's a lady on the Pounty hounds cushion who has a 3yo Greyhound and he has arthritis!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now