Just whacked my dog - feel awful but I was so angry

(39 Posts)
WTFwasthat Mon 01-Apr-13 21:04:31

He ate a third Easter Egg, from a shelf about 5 feet up. I was so fucking annoyed and frustrated that I pulled him into lounge by the collar and whacked his backside. Feel terrible but it is so fecking annoying. Will he forgive me sad

magnolia74 Mon 01-Apr-13 21:05:47

Unfortunately for him, yes sad
What do you do to your kids if they take chocolate?

SecretLindtBunny Mon 01-Apr-13 21:06:43

He has eaten 2 already?

Ponders Mon 01-Apr-13 21:06:58

chocolate is bad for dogs though hmm

Rainbowinthesky Mon 01-Apr-13 21:07:54

Oh dear. You do know chocolate is poisonous for dogs. You need to put it away somewhere else out of reach and do some training. Not his fault but he will forgive you. You might need to get vet advice on the chocolate.

WTFwasthat Mon 01-Apr-13 21:09:25

magnolia 74 unfortunately for him? What does that mean? I don't routinely beat him? I gave him a whack on the arse - not beat him on a daily basis.

Rainbowinthesky Mon 01-Apr-13 21:12:27

I would call the vets, honestly. It can be lethal and 3 eggs is a lot of chocolate.

Yes he will forgive you
Hopefully

He needs to see a vet though if he has eaten three eggs. Chocolate is highly poisonous to dogs

And hitting them isn't ideal either
PlEase don't do it again, there are better discipline methods

WTFwasthat Mon 01-Apr-13 21:14:13

he has shown no ill effects - thankfully. all the eggs are miles out of reach but I cannot get my children to stand on chairs while they eat them hmm. I was aghast at him getting the third one. There literally is no explanation for it other than him climbing on an armchair and lunging at the bookshelf! He is a determined little bugger where food is concerned. Jsut don;t want him to be afraid of me.

Lucyellensmum95 Mon 01-Apr-13 21:14:21

WTFwasthat - don't worry, he will forgive you!

Do keep a check on his chocolate addiction though - it can be poisonous to dogs

WTFwasthat Mon 01-Apr-13 21:14:53

it was 3 eggs over 3 days. Is that still dangerous?

Rainbowinthesky Mon 01-Apr-13 21:16:13

I wouldn't wait. You need to get him seen now. Honestly, it would be really crap of you if you don't get medical help. If your child ingested poison you wouldnt wait for the symptoms to show.

MyPreciousRing Mon 01-Apr-13 21:16:40

What is it this bank holiday with everybody punishing their children and animals?? This is fourth thread where someone has lost it with either DC or animal, chill out everybody; meant to be fun weekend.

Rainbowinthesky Mon 01-Apr-13 21:17:03

I am not a vet however I would get advice. Just google it if you don't take my word for it.

WTFwasthat Mon 01-Apr-13 21:20:05

i am doing so now Rainbowinthesky smile. Dark choc is worse. Gonna see if I can look up the content of the main toxin. Then I will panic!

Rainbowinthesky Mon 01-Apr-13 21:22:18

It seems to be based on quality of choc, how dark it is, and weight of your dog.

WTFwasthat Mon 01-Apr-13 21:23:42

MyPreciousRing - it would be fun without my dog risking his life for a freaking Easter Egg

I wouldn't worry too much if it was milk chocolate. One of my SBTs ate a couple of bars of chocolate and a bag of chocolate coins that he managed to snaffle out of DS1s school bag a few years ago. We rushed him to the vet. Our vet wasn't too concerned though as it was milk chocolate.

Anyway, the next day he had a very runny tummy and dreadful wind.

Obviously, you shouldn't hit your dog. You'll have to find a non violent way to deal with any future doggy nautiness or take a step back and let someone else deal with him until you learn not to lash out in temper. Hopefully the guilt you feel now will stop you ever hitting him again.

Booyhoo Mon 01-Apr-13 21:31:33

" I cannot get my children to stand on chairs while they eat them "

put the dog out of the room? i would have thought that would be obvious.

as for him forgiving you? no he wont. he is a dog- he has no concept of forgiveness. he may remember it, he may not.

sort your temper out. this wasnt the dogs fault in any way at all. you are responsible for where the eggs are kept. when you have a dog that means chocolate gets put somewhere he will not get it.

RedwingWinter Mon 01-Apr-13 21:32:11

You should speak to your vet. Milk chocolate is not as bad as dark chocolate, but it depends on the amount and the size of the dog, and it sounds like he's consumed a lot. Your vet will be able to look it up in a table for you. Also some dogs react differently than others. I hope he's okay and the worst you get is a mess on the carpet.

RedwingWinter Mon 01-Apr-13 21:32:28

Amount of chocolate, I meant, not amount of dog ... sorry.

Floralnomad Mon 01-Apr-13 22:42:20

Hope he's ok ,funny I was only thinking today that I hadn't seen you posting about him for a while ,has he grown into a big boy?

Please seek advice , chocolate is toxic to dogs it can make them really really sick.

WTFwasthat Tue 02-Apr-13 00:07:15

Forainomad - he is beautiful - so lovely. He is very tall though and still growing. Lord above knows what he is crossed with, giraffe i think!

MyPreciousRing Tue 02-Apr-13 00:34:37

Why are you blaming the dog for 'risking his life for an easter egg'?

You know this is your fault. Your fault he ate all that chocolate which is so dangerous to his health and your fault that you smacked your dog... Anyways, unlike many on here over this weekend, you are actually arsed about what happens and remorseful regarding your actions. I truly hope that your dog is ok and I hope you are ok too. These things happen - I'm sorry if I've been harsh. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now