Mental stimulation for a dog who is recovering from surgery

(6 Posts)

Following my thread a couple of weeks ago here, FluppyDog had her surgery last Tuesday.

All seems to have gone well and there have been no accidents so far (though it's still early days) but she's starting to get pretty annoyed at the lack of walks!

So far we've been keeping her entertained with kongs, bones and toys, but can anyone suggest any other games we could play with her? She's allowed to move about inside the house now, and is clicker trained a little bit. She is slightly hampered by her cone though grin

Floralnomad Mon 01-Apr-13 13:15:23

Can you take her out for a drive , mine loves the car and a drive is nearly as good as a walk for being mentally draining .

tabulahrasa Mon 01-Apr-13 13:19:01

I took the cone off monster puppy, he only had it on when no-one was with him.

After his crate rest, he can now, play dead, touch, take it, empty my washing machine and identify 3 toys by name, naming toys kept him busy for hours - because when he really knew one, you can add in another and mix them up, lol.

Good idea about the car, hadn't thought of that.

tabulahrasa how do you teach them the names? Just keep repeating it?

tabulahrasa Mon 01-Apr-13 13:29:53

Start with say a ball, say ball and when they try to take it (because it's a ball and he loves them) click, repeat till he takes the ball when you say it. I then added a squirrel (lol) said ball and only clicked if he took the ball, then said squirrel and waved it and clicked when he took it, then kept alternating till he got it, did things like did the same one a few times in a row, then added another one and repeated... Mixing it up a bit by sometimes having different ones and changing their position or order I said it.

It's not massively useful but he had great fun doing it.

idirdog Mon 01-Apr-13 15:19:35

Teach her to put toys into a toy box
Put a toy beside a lowish box
If she looks at toy click and treat But put the treat into the toy box so she has to turn towards the box to get it.
Click and treat any interaction with the toy but always put the treat into the toy box.
She will soon pick up the toy in her mouth again click and treat with the treat in the toy box.
Over time she will pick up the toy turn to the toy box and release for the treat. Start to only reward when she drops the toy into the box.

Aso hide her food in the house. use one room to start with put little piles of food behind sofas and curtains etc at first let her see where you are putting it, then hide her eyes and make her sniff it out. Nose work is very tiring for most dogs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now