Introducing puppy to old dog...

(4 Posts)
MrsWolowitz Sun 31-Mar-13 14:35:58

It's been so long since I've had a little puppy that I would really like some advice.

My dog is 8 and lovely. We are bringing a puppy home in a week and want them to get along well and start off on the right foot paw.

Puppy won't have had his vacs yet so we can't let them meet in a park and walk them home together.

What would you do? Any advice?

IAmNotAMindReader Sun 31-Mar-13 14:55:19

We introduced our new dog to our older dog the same way we introduced new cats to each other.

We had a crate with bedding and toys in the main room where we could supervise.

We left it up for a day or so before the pup arrived so the resident dog could get used to it being there.

When we arrived home with pup we popped him straight in and shut the door. This gave the new pup a chance to recover from the journey as he had travel sickness.

Let resident dog discover crate and new dog on her own and have a good sniff round while we pretended not to notice.

Once new pup had recovered we opened the crate door and let them meet each other.

Praised positive interactions and basically let them sort it out themselves with a view to only seperating them if things looked serious.

As it was this hasn't happened and they both got to ease into knowing each other and get on quite well.

HotPanda Tue 02-Apr-13 08:00:23

I wanted to ask the same, so I'm glad I found this.

MrsWolowitz Tue 02-Apr-13 08:31:29

Thanks for the advice but no longer necessary. My lovely dog was PTS yesterday sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now