Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

I think my puppy is a nutter - help!

(9 Posts)
blinkedandmissedit Thu 28-Mar-13 11:46:03

We got our puppy in december and she is now almost 6 months. She has been to puppy training and can sit, watch, lay, paw, leave it, take it, play dead etc, all of which we continue to work on to get more and more reliable. Her recall is usually good but not yet 100%. However, she is so excitable, to the point that people actually comment. When she meets anyone, her whole body wags and she is just so excited.

She desperately wants to meet and play with all other dogs, although they still scare her a little. She is quite tall so maybe looks quite big to be going mad.

She was recently spayed and we just went to the vets for a check and she was so excited to see everyone that she wet herself! (I am glad she hasn't been put off the vets tho!)

All training goes out the window when she gets this excited and she just wants to jump on everyone.

Is this normal? When will she calm down a little and is there anything we can do to help? She does learn very quickly and the puppy trainers thought she was very bright and learnt quickly but it's not that reliable when she is so excited, she sort of needs to learn control! Once I can sit down, like at the vets, I can usually distract her and get her sitting, until the next person walks through the door anyway!

That is still normal for mine and he is 8 months. He is really giddy and will hurl himself at anyone human or canine if he has the chance.

pigsDOfly Thu 28-Mar-13 13:13:19

Yep, sounds normal. At 6 months it might get worse before it gets better. Sounds as if you're doing all the right things and your dog is just a happy puppy.

Personally, I love to see a happy healthy puppy being a bit crazy. She'll soon settle down when she get to about 3yo and all the training is strongly in place, and then you'll miss all the madness.

SpicyPear Thu 28-Mar-13 13:29:00

Yes, you have just described my puppy. At 7 1/2 months we've just had the first vet visit with no excited wee everywhere. We had a fabulous month where he started to calm down a bit and now he's launched into full on regressive adolescent behaviour. I'm hoping as a small breed we'll get through the worst by 12 months. Larger breeds it will be longer.

pigsDOfly Thu 28-Mar-13 13:46:38

Oh dear. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong. My small breed dog is 2yo in a week or so and although she has settled down in most respects she still goes a bit crazy when meeting people she knows.

It all seemed so easy before terrible adolescence kicked in (seemed to start around 8 months in her case) but she's such a joy now. It's so pleasing when you realize you're getting it right and your dog has become a civilized member of society.

BlissfullyIgnorant Thu 28-Mar-13 13:50:17

All puppies are nutters grin

Marne Thu 28-Mar-13 14:03:58

Sounds normal to me, i can remember taking my female dog to be checked after being spayed, she also wet herself with excitement, she's now 5 years old and is still excited when she meets people but can contol herself a bit more now.

blinkedandmissedit Thu 28-Mar-13 14:35:46

Oh thank you so much. Dog owners all seem to comment and it made me wonder if she should be calmer by now!

SpicyPear Thu 28-Mar-13 15:32:17

I think people forget! And a fair few owners will have rescued or bought older dogs and not been through the first year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now