anyone own a Leonberger? i want one.

(40 Posts)
ThatVikRinA22 Tue 26-Mar-13 22:16:48

my aging cavalier king charles is, well, ageing. i love her to bits and cant imagine being without a dog in the house.

a few days ago i met a female leonberger and i am smitten.....ive done some research. I cant see any down sides.

Does anyone own one? Is there anything more that i need to know before i start to save up?

notimefors Wed 27-Mar-13 00:12:24

Someone near my old house had seven. They made a sight on walks!

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Wed 27-Mar-13 00:12:58

SEVEN!!! <<faints>>

ThatVikRinA22 Wed 27-Mar-13 00:21:30

wow....7? must have been rich!

ill settle for one.

MrsTwgtwf Wed 27-Mar-13 00:27:25

You need the horse to exercise the dog. Initially you can have the dog on a lead rein. grin

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 27-Mar-13 07:45:38

They are very common in my practice. They are lovely dogs, but the drool is considerable. They are very expensive to keep food just the volume is immense, a trip to the vets is never less than £100, they are not very long lived you are very lucky if they see 10. They suffer from juvenile onset dilated cardiomyopathy that often kills them before they are three, GDVs are very common.
In short whilst lovely dogs they are money puts and heart breakers.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 27-Mar-13 07:46:13

Ah yes I have all this knowledge as one client has 15!

saintmerryweather Wed 27-Mar-13 07:57:40

My friends newfie died of bloat at the age of 4, might be something to consider with giant breeds. also the fact that they dont live for long generally

1MitchellMum Wed 27-Mar-13 09:43:47

Fabulous dogs ... but think about vet visits (anaesthetic more expensive with larger dogs); fitting said dog in car (takes up all of boot space in estate car); I've experienced GDV and dilated cardiomyopathy - both conditions heartbreaking. I have large dogs but wonder how people cope with giant breeds (lifting into car if they need emergency vet treatment).

ProphetOfDoom Wed 27-Mar-13 11:53:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrslaughan Wed 27-Mar-13 20:51:29

Vicar - check out greater swiss mountain dogs , giants,lot more personality, huge teddy beats, amazing with kids, still don't need a huge amount of exercise.....BUT short haired!
I know you say you have lots of animals , therefore hair issues already - but it's the mud and dirt that gets out of their coat, or gets tracked into the house.
Also you need a big cargrin

ThatVikRinA22 Wed 27-Mar-13 22:06:33

thanks everyone. much to consider. didnt realise they had such health issues....thats a shame.

wont be rushing into anything soon anyway - dh wants some holidays before we get another dog....
or car!

BOEUF Wed 27-Mar-13 22:08:58

I've got a feeling that there's one in our park. Pickle adores him. She jumps up to cuddle him from the front, and he's so placid, he just lets her grin.

ThatVikRinA22 Wed 27-Mar-13 22:20:05

they are incredibly placid - the one i met the other day was just so laid back! i though it was stuffed at first! she was just laid on the floor....the only bit that moved was her eyes - she looked at me as if to say "wot? no fuss??"

she was soooooo pretty.

just a huge shame re the health probs....part of me thinks i should get down the dogs trust and get a rescue....

Montybojangles Sun 31-Mar-13 14:27:52

Fantastic, laid back family dog, as long as you aren't house proud, and can afford to feed them. They drool a lot , shed (need a lot of grooming) and get everything muddy and wet after a walk on a soggy spring day. Good luck,they are fab.

NickRachel Wed 27-Nov-13 11:51:31

Hello

Did you still have a leonberger in mind?

Kind regards

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now