Chewing! When will it end?

(6 Posts)
Allfurcoatandnoknickers Tue 26-Mar-13 21:12:13

Our jrt cross is about 8 months old now and she seems hellbent on destroying our home. She's great in every other respect, not too barky, good recall, very loving, but boy does she love chewing...
So far she has worked her way through three beds, endless blankets, an armchair, sofa, table legs, oven gloves, skirting board, carpet and numerous toys. The last straw was her chewing our replacement sofa today. She'd managed to get on it despite me leaving a chair on top of it.
She has two 45 minute walks a day and lots of chew toys to keep her occupied. She is very rarely left more than a couple of hours at a time. We have another dog and tried to crate the puppy but this was hard as our other dog has never been crated so she was very upset by being in the crate. I also tried using a bitter apple spray and Vicks vapo rub on the table legs (!) but the little minx just moves onto something else.....
Anyone else had this? When do they stop?

Floralnomad Tue 26-Mar-13 21:22:31

Some never do unfortunately . My mum had a large x breed who chewed through kitchen cupboards his entire life ,he was kept in the kitchen overnight , nothing stopped him so we just kept spare doors in the end and changed them when they got bad .

Allfurcoatandnoknickers Tue 26-Mar-13 21:29:31

God I'm going to need a whole new house at this rate.... (Sob)

lotsofdogshere Wed 27-Mar-13 08:56:33

My doodle seemed to grow out of it about 12 months of age. Like you, I stopped crating because my older dog wasn't crated and I felt mean. Big mistake, there are some good sites on crate training and I'd have a re-think about crating to be honest. It's never too late to properly crate train and then you won't have to re-build your house. Are you doing play training as well as exercise with her. JR's are clever dogs and will entertain themselves - I found leaving my dogs food in push along type toys they had to work to get the kibble out kept them entertained for a good while when left alone, as does putting their food in a kong, freezing it so it'll last them half an hour or so.

We got our Staff at 7 months from a rescue centre, she has only ever known kennels and we have crate trained her because she chews EVERYTHING. I'm not even joking, nothing is safe. She is crated over night and when we are out, we can't trust her at all. She has eaten lots of beds so far, I gave up, now she has a duvet in a duvet cover and touch wood she's still not chewed it. She has a Kong that we stuff with frozen treats and that Keeps her occupied in her crate.

pinkbear82 Thu 28-Mar-13 06:02:47

Rawhide chews..... All shapes any size. Praise for chewing on them.
I've had a jrt and springer both from pups and I'd swear the chews have saved major damage. Not all, still the spaniel will choose a pillow or sock but that's taken away and a chew replaces it.

I'd try the crate again too. Spaniel still crated at 10 months when on own and at night as he has the tendency to chew. My jrt was out of her crate by 6 months and never looked back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now