Is the 'Furminator' worth £40?

(14 Posts)
Sunshinewithshowers Wed 20-Mar-13 15:11:47

I didnt realise you could get them that much cheaper, very impressed.

Yes don't pay £40!!!!

I got mine for £17 for my Goldie & it does help although I only use it once or twice a week & normal daily brushing the rest of the time.

dopeysheep Mon 18-Mar-13 18:28:33

Furminators, sorry that was unclear. The large one for £12.99.

Sunshinewithshowers Mon 18-Mar-13 16:39:05

What have Amazon got?

dopeysheep Mon 18-Mar-13 06:51:42

Amazon has them for £12.99. I got one for my shaggy hound worked brilliantly.

sidsmissis Sun 17-Mar-13 11:19:40

The furminator is good but I too have heard it can wreck coats. It's essentially half a clipper blade mounted into a plastic handle. There are other cheaper alternatives of the same thing. I think Mikki do one for around a third of the price.

I use an undercoat rake along with a Zoom Groom on my two. Shedding blades are also good, I use them on the horse. My BIL swore by an old hacksaw blade for his hairy GSD .

lotsofdogshere Sun 17-Mar-13 10:04:39

I have a furminator for my doodle, and use it every couple of weeks. I just brush and comb her in between. Agree, they can be harsh so don't over do it, but it's great for maintaining a good coat.

Fraggle78 Wed 13-Mar-13 20:52:28

As the owner of a husky who sheds like a bugger I love our furminator, but I agree that you have to be careful not to go OTT with the brushing. I think they are much cheaper on Amazon than in Pets at Home etc...

DoingTheSwanThing Wed 13-Mar-13 20:47:11

Not sure about the furminator, I read too many stories of wrecked coats.. Went for a Mars coat king instead - it's ace (and half the price).

littlewhitebag Wed 13-Mar-13 20:42:09

I have one for my lab. She hates being brushed but at least with the furminator i can get a good go at her very quickly.

Sunshinewithshowers Wed 13-Mar-13 20:40:23

Yes, he definitely loves a brush. He would let me do it for hours, maybe I should get the long haired one?

Im fed up with hair everywhere grin even in my slippers

If my Doodle would keep still long enough for me to brush him properly, it would be a God send!

As he doesn't, I get him clippered.

If your dog would happily let you brush him/her then go for it. I was surprised at just how much came off in the first few strokes.

Lampfamm Wed 13-Mar-13 20:34:43

Oooh, I hope someone comes along to let us know! My dog has a sort of 'mane' too. I just keep hacking it off with scissors but perhaps a more humane system would be better...

Sunshinewithshowers Wed 13-Mar-13 20:16:35

Hi I am wondering wether to buy one of these deshedding brushes?

Also my dog only has long hair around his neck area ( a bit like a scarf )

The rest of his body is short hair.

They sell them separately for long & short haired dogs hmm

I cant afford to buy two!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now