Would you return puppy to breeder?

(100 Posts)
NorthernAnnie Wed 06-Mar-13 21:45:31

We bought a cross breed puppy. He is now 10 months old and has numerous allergies including grass and certain foods. He is now on an expensive diet, can't walk on grass, our vet's bills are huge and not likely to get any less and he sheds heavily which aggravates DS's asthma. We love him but in hindsight we should have been more careful about where we bought him from. I have realised the breeder was a BYB, she hadn't had her dog (or the stud) health tested although she was a much loved family pet. Would it be awful to return him to her?

NorthernAnnie Thu 07-Mar-13 11:14:24

Thanks for all the advice. I would never try to sell him or give him to the RSPCA. I would contact a breed rescue center (they have them for his breed) and keep him until they found a good home for him. DS also has eczema which is really bad at the moment which we have narrowed down to the amount of dog hair. It has taken a while, our dogs skin problems didn't start until he was 6 months and then we went through different treatments and elimination with the vet which took a long time, likewise with DS's eczema.

The vet said we may never know some of our dogs allergies and therefore he will need to be on medication. We have wooden floors and I brush him and sweep/mop daily but it literally gets everywhere sad. The breeder did say he would be non to low shedding sad

NorthernAnnie Thu 07-Mar-13 11:15:02

(That sad face was for our dog by the way)

Lucyellensmum95 Thu 07-Mar-13 11:41:01

Have you posted about this dog before? I thought you said it was a cross-breed? or is it one of those bloody designer dogs? I would have thought if you can afford to buy one of those, you can afford the associated bills tbh.

Theres no way a breeder could guarantee a non shedding dog.

I was going to post more, but other more rational posters have said it all.

Floralnomad Thu 07-Mar-13 12:22:58

You've been given plenty of advice about dealing with the shedding and so that makes this a purely financial decision . Personally I can't understand anyone giving up a pet for the reasons you've given . Most of these types of breeders are only in it for the money so I doubt she would take back a potential money pit , likewise there are loads of dogs without these issues in rescues so I can't imagine he would find the home he deserves very quickly . Poor puppy.

rain2012 Thu 07-Mar-13 13:51:51

The first owners of my dog gave her back to the breader (who wasn't a good one at that) and we rescued her. You would be amazed at the psychological problems all that causes her. I would go through a good charity to find the dog a fantastic new home.

D0oinMeCleanin Thu 07-Mar-13 14:39:22

That's bollocks what your vet said btw, allergy tests can be done to pin point the cause of the allergy, if it's a skin condition, if not then an exclusion diet can pin point food allergies, skin tests cost in the region of £1000 but should be covered by your pet insurance. Exclusion diets you do at home under the guidance of a vet.

I'm guessing he's some sort of 'oodle cross? A Labradoodle probably? Sounds like he has inherited the lab coat This should help, along with regular trips to the groomers to be clipped

ThePlatypusAlwaysTriumphs Thu 07-Mar-13 14:52:36

first of all, this is one of the huge frustrations I have with BYB. They don't think/ know/ care about potential genetic problems- just stick one dog with the other, bingo, cute puppies, loads of dosh. Every single breed (or designer breed) that becomes popular mysteriously seems to present more and more commonly with skin problems/ other defects, which I can't help but assume is down to people with no actual deep interest/ knowledge in the breed pumping out puppies. These kind of breeders will NOT be remotely prepared to take the dog back, because to them it was a financial transaction, and they don't really care (unlike proper breeders, who would be horrified to discover problems in their lines)

having said that, as atopy is SO common in dogs these days, it would be a disaster if everyone who owns an atopic dog gave it up! Vet bills are, unfortunately, one of the issues of owning dogs, and should have been factored into your decision to get a dog, really. Think yourself relatively lucky- there are other conditions that cost even more, and any dog can become unwell.

I'd say follow some of the advice above, and speak to your vet about possible treatment options. these cases are frustrating and difficult for vets and owners, and uncomfortable for the dog, but the aim is to manage rather than cure the condition, and it can take a while to get it right. Good luck

NorthernAnnie Thu 07-Mar-13 15:05:08

Another problem is also the costs. We had petplan insurance, DH lost his job and we were advised to get PDSA, he then got the skin condition. DH is starting a new job in 2 weeks so we will have to get insurance, they won't cover us for his skin condition (medication/treatments etc) as it will be a pre-existing condition. I also suspect he has bad hips but if this is confirmed while we are still with PDSA insurance will not cover that either. He's a golden retriever/poodle cross btw.

NorthernAnnie Thu 07-Mar-13 15:06:43

ThePlatypusAlwaysTriumphs - Absolutely, I've learned a lot through mumsnet about BYB and had I known I would never have bought from one for all these reasons.

happygardening Thu 07-Mar-13 19:31:46

OP we can all be clever in retrospect and I feel sorry for you. You have got real problem if your DS is really allergic to the dog hair because despite what some say if you DS's asthma is exacerbated by the dog it may not be possible to control it by adjusting his medication. Effective control in an environment where your DS is allergic to dog hair may only be achieved by increasing inhalers etc to a level where he is at risk of serious side effects (children are at higher risk than adults) and most paediatricians will advise you to get rid of the dog before contemplating doing this.

NorthernAnnie Thu 07-Mar-13 19:32:51

Does anyone know how much it would potentially cost to treat/medicate a dog with allergies? Each time we have been to the vet it has cost £85 for a 5 minute consultation and 2 weeks of medicine.

NorthernAnnie Thu 07-Mar-13 19:35:23

happygardening - Thanks for being understanding. I do brush him, hoover, sweep and mop daily as well as opening windows but he sheds literally handfuls a day.

D0oinMeCleanin Thu 07-Mar-13 19:36:06

What medicine? Mine gets Metasomething shampoo (£6 a bottle) and topical steroid creams (£6 a tube) plus extra for gloves to apply it, occasional jabs for £8 each and Piriton £3.

NorthernAnnie Thu 07-Mar-13 19:38:03

The problem is that he has needed antibiotics in conjunction with the steroids as it keeps turning into a bacterial infection

D0oinMeCleanin Thu 07-Mar-13 19:42:07

Antibiotics shouldn't push the price up that much, you really need to find the cause of the allergy to treat it successfully. I'd see a different vet, tbh, the consultation fee at yours must be very expensive.

idirdog Thu 07-Mar-13 19:52:45

I can't believe this thread. No is the answer to your thread title.

Stop making excuses because things are a bit difficult at the moment - just get on with looking after your dog.

Start asking sensible questions on here on how to make it easier for you but just giving you dog away is irresponsible. Man up to the task fgs - allergies are easy to manage

Right. Well you clearly have a problem which needs fixing.

What has the vet done so far to identify allergens? What tests have been done and what are the results?

Which food is he on and why? Which other foods have you tried?

How do the dogs allergies show themselves?

The breeder is unlikely to accept the dog back as she is clearly not a committed breeder. In addition, a dog is not something which can be returned as faulty, you get what you get, tbh.

There's no dog in the world which is non shedding, but food and allergens can exacerbate it, somthe food questions are important ones.

NorthernAnnie Thu 07-Mar-13 20:18:23

He had red crusty spot on his body and started shedding his coat, the vet tried him on three different types of antibiotics & steroids, this went on for a few months, she then did a skin test as his skin went black in patches, they found out what bacteria it was and started him on different antiobiotics which he was on for 6 weeks. They worked but didn't clear it up so we had to do an elimination diet. This has worked a bit but she thinks because of where his skin is bad it is grass related too so we are keeping him off the grass at the moment... PDSA won't pay for allergy testing and the vet said it isn't always accurate and is very expensive and that we may never know the exact cause. In the meantime DS has also been having really bad flare ups of eczema and getting quite wheezy with his asthma. It's just a nightmare for our dog & DS.

miggy Thu 07-Mar-13 20:31:52

Have they treated for sarcoptic mange just in case, don't always see it on one scrape and would explain some of these symptoms

Annie, I hope you get this sorted and it must be very stressful for all concerned. Bloody myths about doodles being hypoallergenic!

We keep out puppy in the kitchen. I had thought to let him have more freedom as he grew but actually this suits us all, particularly with DH having asthma. I do all the things others mention, mop, wipe, brush the dog, clean the surfaces and open the windows, all daily but it's only one room at least. Luckily, it's a large room with sofas, chairs and a TV so we all stay in there until puppy sleeps at night, in fact we spend more time as a family now.

Sorry, did you mention what food he's on? Can you feed just chicken wings or something for a while, we get a big bag for £1 from the farm shop, puppy has two for his tea instead of kibble.

Hope it works out, I suspect the breeder wouldn't want to know.

NorthernAnnie Thu 07-Mar-13 20:39:08

Thanks Miggy & needsastrongone, they thought it might be fox mange at first, that's sarcoptic mange isn't it? I can't remember why she decided it wasn't, I will ask again.

ReluctantBeing Thu 07-Mar-13 20:40:12

The breeder would not have been able to tell how the dog's coat would turn out if it was a cross breed.
One of my hounds has bad allergies a d we have to be careful about what we feed him and he has a half ever tablet every day.

NorthernAnnie Thu 07-Mar-13 20:41:42

I remember now, she said that because it's not on his face and he's not itchy it's likely not that

NorthernAnnie Thu 07-Mar-13 20:44:04

He's on hypoallergenic duck & rice kibble

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now