Am I having problems with recall because it's nearly spring?

(20 Posts)
gymmummy64 Thu 07-Mar-13 21:29:51

Nooo, I am the thread killer grin

<stamps foot>
<stabs thread>

Turniphead1 Thu 07-Mar-13 13:17:06

Gym mummy
Nothing today except to say I can be the thread killer now. wink

Off out now with mad doodle pup. How I loved that brief interlude of dry weather sadly gone.

gymmummy64 Wed 06-Mar-13 15:26:21

don't worry Owllady, it's usually my posts that are the kiss of death. MN is littered with threads that have me as the final poster! I must be either so fantastically brilliant at summing it all up that there's nothing else to say or so dull that I kill further debate or contribution stone dead. Quite worrying either way to be honest.

Now, I know the books all say this is NOT how dogs work, but I swear Gymdog was on his best behaviour today following a number of these fox-related recall mishaps in the past week. At the site of each previous recent crime he stopped, looked at me, I shook my head and he then came bounding over. Bless him. Good job I'd stocked up on new favourite treat Swedish horse meatballs

Owllady Wed 06-Mar-13 14:06:56

I wish I had never posted on this thread, it has been the kiss of death hmm!

SpicyPear Tue 05-Mar-13 12:26:44

One liked to sun himself on my next door neighbour's trampoline until they took it down smile I'm SW so not very far!

gymmummy64 Tue 05-Mar-13 10:22:16

Ah, ok, seems that the grey squirrel doesn't actually hibernate, just rests up a lot grin

gymmummy64 Tue 05-Mar-13 10:18:23

OK, I looked it up. January is mating, February is gestation and is quite quiet, March is cubbing. Gestation is 51 days, so I guess this is the time for the first cubs. www.nfws.org.uk/year_of_fox.html

So maybe it's the first cubs being born around now that's new and exciting for him, his behaviour has definitely changed. He's usually a nose to the ground dog, but he's up sniffing the air and racing after these scents in a way I've not seen before.

So, next thing - I wonder when squirrels are back in force. Better look that one up as well grin

Spicy here in W London we now regularly see foxes in broad daylight out on the street. Huge change over the 13 years I've lived here.

SpicyPear Tue 05-Mar-13 08:27:49

I think your instinct might be right. I definitely saw a FB update by a rescue recently warning that it is fox aomething season, maybe breeding, and to be awarethat dogs might take off after the strong scents. Our patch of London has as many foxes as people so I've been a bit careful. Best to try to avoid him going off on these frolics if poss though as they are very rewarding and could become habit.

littlewhitebag Tue 05-Mar-13 06:07:08

Turniphead. I too am stuck on Total Recall with the exercises involving getting calm dogs to come to the garden. I am going to try and be creative and use the whistle when she meets dogs calmly on the lead to see if I get her attention.

Turniphead1 Mon 04-Mar-13 23:07:21

It's great. Some things are hard to find in it but I like it.

gymmummy64 Mon 04-Mar-13 22:51:09

OOh, turniphead I didn't know she had a website

<immediately off to google>

Owllady Mon 04-Mar-13 22:41:39

I am going to against the grain and say no, mine are exactly the same as usual, if not better blush buti get very much more nergentic and maybe that confuses them

my trick is liver cake with young dog and tennis balls
older dog just loves megrin

Turniphead1 Mon 04-Mar-13 22:39:22

No deer up here in North London. I was gutted when someone got Fenton as a username on MN. Still makes me laugh (less so since I got a dog and have had tasters of that horror...)

Turniphead1 Mon 04-Mar-13 22:36:50

Ahhhh! Then thanks for the recommendation. And sorry for the coals to Newcastle etc etc

It's hard to do it all by the letter. I don't know anyone with a calm dog willing to do the exercises!

You could ask Pippa on her website - The Labrador Site.

ivegotaniphone Mon 04-Mar-13 22:35:41

Mine are both mad at the moment, particularly the boy. He gets like this every spring!

gymmummy64 Mon 04-Mar-13 22:32:27

turniphead Yes, I've been one of the ones recommending it!! Particularly for a tough gig rescue which is what I've got!! We haven't followed every single step, but we've done an awful lot of them and it has worked really well. You're right, she doesn't say anything about seasons which is why I posted really - that book has been my bible for months and is still by my bed!

<disclaimer, still highly recommending book as is brilliant>

Viva thank you, the last week in Feb coincides absolutely exactly. Three months? Oh dear oh dear

Mercifully little we have no deer but I just know Gymdog would be Fenton if we did. we live in west london. I will never ever ever take him to Richmond Park..

littlewhitebag Mon 04-Mar-13 21:04:50

We are having issues with the scent of deer at the moment. All i see is the back end of my pup disappearing over the horizon!

VivaLeBeaver Mon 04-Mar-13 20:30:05

My dog is 8 and generally has good recall but it goes to pot from the last week in feb until the crops grow high enough to hide the hares. Every bloody year. Lasts about three months and she spends most of the walk about four fields away, little dot in the distance if I can see her at all!

Turniphead1 Mon 04-Mar-13 20:26:35

Gymmummy - have you read Total Recall by Pippa Mattison? It was recommended on here. She doesn't mention spring being a problem - but it may be that you need to start from scratch with a new recall hmm and follow her very detailed steps. With a rescue that has a history of proper absconding it can be a tough gig I understand.

Apologies if you have read it and having being doing it - but I found it great.

gymmummy64 Mon 04-Mar-13 20:05:47

My rescue has gone from no recall at all last summer, to an autumn full of absconding, to minimal slip ups since new year. There are still very few places l where I let him offlead, but in our usual very large field he is fine and this field is incorporated into most of our walks. I will typically have him offlead for at least an hour a day. We've worked hard on recall with the river on one side of the field and the wooded area on the other side and I've been increasingly confident with it for some weeks now though i still watch him like a hawk. It has made walks so much nicer!

So far so good, I've been really proud of both of us. Until about a week ago. He suddenly taken to shooting off into undergrowth and ignoring me which is depressingly familiar. I associate this type of undergrowth with foxes (thick brambley stuff with runs and tunnels in it). But he's had weeks to shoot off into this stuff, why now? Is it that foxes are starting to smell particularly foxy at this time of year? It's the only explanation I can come up with. No one told me recall might be seasonal!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now