Dog howling and crying

(6 Posts)
thornrose Sat 02-Mar-13 22:59:46

I moved house recently and my next door neighbours have a dog. I've noticed it howls, barks and cries a lot, seemingly when they leave it alone.
Is this normal, is it likely they know this happens? The dog sounds very distressed sad

MiffieandMaddy Sat 02-Mar-13 23:07:58

Hi there, my dogs do this when we leave them ( and they have each other) we have a detached house and no neighbours, so I didn't know they did it until last week when I went out in car and walked home and caught them by surprise. I was upset to think they are distressed. If your neighbours don't know the dog does it they can't help. I am trying to make some changes to our routine so mine are not left as much and perhaps your neighbours might??? You probably have a rough idea of what they are like??? ( terrible to stereotype or judge I know!!!)

thornrose Sat 02-Mar-13 23:12:50

They seem really lovely people who dote on their dog. Coincidentally they have obviously just got back. I can hear voices and the dog has suddenly gone quiet.

It doesn't bother me at all but I've never had a dog and I didn't know they could sound so upset.

I would tell them, in a nice way.

I would hate to think my boy was upset. (But he is rarely left and is usually asleep when we get home).

minicreamegg Sat 02-Mar-13 23:20:02

I recorded my dogs to see what happens when I leave, dog 1 jumped on the couch and went to sleep, dog 2 paced, whined, barked, checked the window a million times hmm god knows what my neighbours.

thornrose Sat 02-Mar-13 23:33:37

I've noticed the dog sits on the back of the sofa facing the window and jumps up when we walk past.
It's so quiet now, I'm picturing it snuggled up all content that owners are home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now