How can I train my lab to get over a stile?

(10 Posts)
Toomuchtea Fri 01-Mar-13 15:12:28

We've just moved, and have encountered the dread stile that has no bit under which the dog can wriggle. Dog is a very willing dog, and generally very easy to train, but I have absolutely no idea how to go about it. Previous lab picked it up by watching another dog, but I don't know anyone here yet to show her how to do it.

bassetfeet Fri 01-Mar-13 17:04:04

Oh Toomuchtea this makes me laugh . Like you, I have had to teach numerous dogs the same thing .The alternative of hoicking four scrabbly legs and rotund body over manually is so not a good look for dog or us .

I taught mine by putting front paws on the first step and hitching her up to the top where she jumped off . Dh enticing with food treat . Only took two goes .

Reading that back it sounds nonsense but hope you get the idea blush.
must not consider teaching as a career

Toomuchtea Fri 01-Mar-13 17:37:12

Oh yes, I think I do. Will try it with DH at the weekend. She's normally a very bright dog who works a lot of things out for herself, but she does have a leetle block about stiles.

bassetfeet Fri 01-Mar-13 18:21:43

Think lots of dogs have blocks about stiles ,ladders etc ......no wonder when you think about it . Hope your lab finds her feet and confidence . Sure she will .
I love labs with their pure joy in life and happy natures .

I did have one dog who refused point blank to go over stiles many years ago .
Made hill walking holidays difficult . She was an Old English Sheepdog and a big girl . Many a bog she landed in after being manhandled bless her but she loved it smile.Nice memories of her stubborn No way ,not attempting that face..so lift me ok? So we did .

littlewhitebag Fri 01-Mar-13 18:35:25

My lab hates those little gates you go through where you get in close it, then get out. She gets in a bit of a flap when you try to close the gate and has a wtf look on her face. It makes me laugh.

SimoneDeBeaver Fri 01-Mar-13 18:38:02

With a lab, treats are surely your answer??

Can you balance one on the top, then one on the step down IYSWIM?

Toomuchtea Fri 01-Mar-13 18:49:54

Basset, Old English are very, very heavy to life...

Littlewhitebag, mine doesn't mind those, unless we are trying to go through it at the same time. Really what we should do is wait for the expert to go through first and make our own pathetic, stumbling way in our own good time.

I like your thinking SimoneDeBeaver. Will try that too.

kiwigirl42 Fri 01-Mar-13 18:57:58

our lab will do most things for a bit of cheese so maybe this is the route to take? have never tried her with a stile though.

Selks Fri 01-Mar-13 19:01:09

Wave a cooked sausage in front of her on the other side of the stile..that should do it grin

(Disclaimer - past owner of an adorable but greedy Lab...smile)

Toomuchtea Sat 02-Mar-13 12:53:27

I think I will take the fridge with me. It seems the way to go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now