What's a good way to keep dog safe in car

(21 Posts)

So this week I've put pups full size 35" crate in the car for the school run to get used to being in the car, she hates it but its early days. The trouble is its a ton weight and a bit of a chew on to get out of pen, out of house, down drive and into boot, so I'm thinking when shes used to the car that I'm ok putting the crate in the car for longer journeys but for 5 to 10min rides I need an alternative, as I spend longer than that sorting the crate Can anyone recommend anything? thanks in advance

SpicyPear Fri 01-Mar-13 08:19:29

I have a soft sided travel crate that lives in the car boot for pup. It folds flat if you need to and it's a little bit smaller than his usual crate.

I've never tried it myself but what about one of these harnesses?

toboldlygo Fri 01-Mar-13 08:24:06

Another crate for the car - they're very cheap on eBay - or invest in a dog guard and/or tailgate guard from somewhere like Barjo or Guardsman. Personally I don't like seatbelt harnesses, they're fiddly, will trash your upholstery if a wet muddy dog has to go on the back seats, I don't think they're as safe as a crate and the advantage of a crate is that you can leave windows/boot open in hot weather but dog still safely locked up.

Car harness?

mine is harness and secured with a seat belt clip. I only have one dc though so works for us.

If you go for a crate from ebay I can recommend dog health ones. Our medium crate was £22 new on ebay and arrived in 36 hours. It is better quality than the cheap pet shop ones (which are twice the price!)

PurpleFrog Fri 01-Mar-13 09:39:54

We have a large crate in the house and a smaller crate for the car. It stays up in the boot most of the time, but we can fold it down if we have lots of shopping (and no dog, obviously!).

We also have a car harness which we use on the back seat if we have the caravan attached to the car, as we have a "clip-on towbar" which prevents the tailgate section of the boot opening.

Floralnomad Fri 01-Mar-13 10:04:41

Mine wears a harness with a seatbelt clip , he loves the car , prefers to sit in the front but is quite happy in the back . I often on very wet days substitute one of his walks for a drive as they seem to tire him out! He always comes with me if I'm just dropping people off or picking up .

littlewhitebag Fri 01-Mar-13 11:05:27

We too have a large indoor crate and a smaller one for the car.

My dogs have the RAC car harnesses. We wouldn't be able to get a crate in the car big enough for the 2 of them!

They love sitting on the seats as they get to look out the window as we go along.

1MitchellMum Fri 01-Mar-13 11:49:25

We have a Safedog crash tested crate which we keep in the car. VERY heavy and VERY expensive but they are good!

You all couldn't be more evenly split for crate v harness if you forced yourselves lol! The crate is a one for cars sort of triangular shaped I'm tempted to practise putting it up and taking it down ( the man at the shop assembled it and it has stayed that way since!) so i can leave it in the car and get another crate for home. She would be a nightmare with a harness at the min but I'd imagine down the line when she's older and enjoys going out that'll be an option. Or that could be the long term plan and for now, while she's a young pup I could leave the car crate in the house and get a soft one for the car argh decisions decisions

Floralnomad Fri 01-Mar-13 12:47:08

Mine has used a harness from 15 weeks , they can't actually get that far so don't leap all over you and generally tend to be so interested in looking out of the windows ( or hanging out in the summer) that they don't create a lot.

Beamur Fri 01-Mar-13 12:49:48

We use a harness and my dog goes all giddy and bonkers if she sees me getting it out as she knows it means she is coming too.

Same as Floral, mine was about 14 or 15 weeks. It was when he got too big for the cat carrier! Agree that they can't get far and I just thought we wouldn't be able to use a crate on our longest journeys (holidays when boot is full to bursting!) so thought it was best to start as I meant to go on.

HormonalHousewife Fri 01-Mar-13 12:53:58

we have an extra crate just for the car. Its slightly smaller than the house one.

I find this works better because you can pack the contents boot around the cage if you need to and know that the dog is safe and so is your shopping !

I only have an auris Hormonal there isn't any around the cage space! It'll have to be cage or shopping or I have a go with a harness

SillyTilly123 Fri 01-Mar-13 15:02:59

I've got my 22 wk pup a harness as i have a zafira and need all the seats up most of the time so pup will just sit on a seat (with a towel down) with the harness on. Not quite sure what size she is going to grow but i did get a large cage and there is no way it will fit in the car unless both back seats are down. Can the cage be slightly smaller for the car?

foolonthehill Fri 01-Mar-13 17:52:23

My car crate is smaller than house one

I got a sale email from pet planet and bought a 31" car crate which I believe is the smallest I can go for a wheaten. I also bought a harness for when she's older. Just hope the crate fits, it should do

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now