New puppy not eating much

(8 Posts)
TwoBoiledEggs Fri 01-Mar-13 08:08:07

She is eating about half what the packet suggest for her age and predicted adult weight.

Should I start defrosting the mini organic chicken fillets I have in the freezer? I guess the children can eat some for their supper tonight too?

Puppy is pooing each day and several wees, though not much success with toilet training so far (sigh). She seems very happy and content, just not ever hungry enough to eat. All she's had for breakfast is three mouthfuls and is now asleep next to me...

tabulahrasa Fri 01-Mar-13 09:35:19

Mine has always eaten about half of the packaging reccomendations ( of different foods as well) at 7 months he's still managed to get to 35kg and still gaining at the rate of about a kilo a week. hmm

If she's toileting fine and lively I wouldn't worry about it.

Floralnomad Fri 01-Mar-13 10:06:59

Mine was a terrible eater when I got him (15 weeks) , what are you feeding ? If its wet food it sometimes helps to warm it slightly as it releases the smell . When we first got him I resorted to feeding him off a spoon ,it was the only way he would eat .

TwoBoiledEggs Fri 01-Mar-13 10:39:00

Thank you so much for replying. She is on the Royal Canine dried food for mini breeds, puppy specific food. She ought to get between 10 and 12 k as an adult though (so the very largest size of 'mini' and not a toy dog size). I may be making a rod for my own back, but have pulled the chicken fillets out of the freezer for the children and puppy this evening.

I guess I can switch food, but she's been on this since she was weaned with no problems, but then it's impossible to tell with a litter how much each is eating I guess! Maybe she just has a little appetite!

Pandemoniaa Fri 01-Mar-13 12:44:09

The recommended amounts on the packaging are almost always way more than the dog would eat or, for that matter, what it needs to eat. If your pup is lively, looks well, wees and poos regularly and is steadily putting on weight then you go by the look of the dog, not how much they eat. Be a little cautious about going down the organic chicken fillets route too. Might be far too rich for the pup and if not, will almost certain become a preferred option!

I went down the chicken route, adding it to my picky eaters food. He had a sensitive tummy and the pickiness and tummy got worse. Eventually vet nurse tild me that altering the protein balance of complete foods by adding thing can create havoc. Whether she was right or wrong, I cut the chicken that night, switched brands and we haven't looked back. Only thing he has added now is probiitic yoghurt for his tummy.

He misses the odd meal still but at 7 months is already big for his breed type.

TwoBoiledEggs Fri 01-Mar-13 13:50:07

Thank you :-) I will just feed the children the chicken afterall! I also just found the puppy scoffing the cat's food in the utility room (cheap petrol station emergency box when I ran out of cat food!)

As if the cat needs any more excuses to be pissed off about the puppy...!

Ha ha! My mum looks after mine whilst I am at work 2 days a week and the first thing he does is dive to see if bowl has been moved. She has got wise now after having to deal with the resulting runny poo!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now