Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

HELP - housetraining overnight!!!!

(10 Posts)
Notcontent Fri 01-Mar-13 07:35:37

We've had a puppy for about 6 weeks now. He is 3.5 months. He is pretty good at doing his wees and poos outside during the day but night time is an issue! We don't use a crate because he really hates it. He sleep really well at night but when we come down in the morning the kitchen, where he lives at the moment, is covered in poo and wee. It's getting me down a bit as I keep reading about these amazing puppies who are dry after a week!!!

What am I doing wrong? Will it ever get better?

Floralnomad Fri 01-Mar-13 10:10:05

Can you fence a bit of the room off to contain him slightly , or get one of those puppy playpens ,he may be less likely to do it if he has to stay in close proximity ,that's why crates work ( IMO) . Also try getting up once in the night if you're not already doing it .

littlewhitebag Fri 01-Mar-13 11:09:29

Get a plan sorted for getting up in the night and letting him out. We did this taking it in turns and we had a notepad and pen that we wrote down the time we were up and if she did a pee/poo etc. probably twice would do it. How long is your pup left overnight at the moment?

littlewhitebag Fri 01-Mar-13 11:11:12

We use a crate and she has never once done her business in it. Maybe worth trying again?

ByTheWay1 Fri 01-Mar-13 11:15:05

Took us a month - hubby stayed up til 1 - took out for wee/poop, I got up at 6 took out... when they are clean in the night, start moving both ends to what is convenient..

depends on the size of the pup - little ones have little bladders etc... Ours was a Westie - so quite small..

Can you try the crate again? Just have it in the room, door open, bed and toys etc in. Throw some treats in, praise for going in etc. Build up to closing the door and immediately opening, praise. Feed in there etc.

Kikopup has an awesome demonstration on YouTube that explains better than I do.

As others have said, maybe fence off and area as dogs really don't like to soil there den/nest

Good luck, it's tough!

Floralnomad Fri 01-Mar-13 12:44:30

FWIW mine never liked a crate but is quite happy to be fenced in somewhere by a baby gate .

Notcontent Fri 01-Mar-13 22:25:11

Thanks for the helpful comments.

I am going to try feeding him earlier and if I have to, maybe give getting up in the night a go. Unfortunately it's just me and young dc, so no one to share the burden, which means that I can't do very late nights and super early mornings at the same time or I think I would drop dead from exhaustion!

Have you got a downstairs loo? Could you put a babygate across the door to contain him in there overnight and make him a lovely nest?

Hi I'm 3 weeks behind you so I feel your pain. I have a permanently open crate within a pen ( which I bought as seperate panels from Croft and put together as a rectangle) pup doesn't mind pen esp if an odd treat is thrown in like a kong with primula spread smeared inside. The opposite end of the rectangle is newspaper which she uses in the night. She wakes me up in the night and I let her out ( don't talk to her etc, clean up mess but she never goes, she want to see me but will go back to bed till a civilised time) have to admit I've no idea how, as she outgrows the pen, we get to just a closed crate, but ill cross that bridge right now just managing the interrupted sleep with house, job and kids is enough although I have an oh, the dog was my choice therefore my job, hell take her into the garden once or twice in the eve for a few min that's all the rest is down to me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now