Second dog....

(17 Posts)
NaughtyBetty Thu 28-Feb-13 17:02:01

Is it true that two dogs are four times the work of one? We have 3 young DC and a lovely 10 month old large bouncy male dog. Our dog is lovely & super friendly, I am really broody for another one but reading threads on here it would appear that it may not be a good idea.... Any thoughts?

Samu2 Thu 28-Feb-13 17:14:47

Well, after my dh decided he was happy to get another dog we bought home a little Chihuahua.

I was warned it would be harder work but for us it hasn't been any harder at all. My two dogs get on really well and there has been no more barking or anything. I think it just depends on the temperaments of the dogs? My bigger dog was quite clingy but she loves having a playmate and there has been no negative affects at all, so far.

Obviously it is more expensive but if that isn't an issue and you have time to train two dogs I would say go for it.

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Thu 28-Feb-13 17:18:37

I love havng two. They are a little competitive with each other, like children what you give to one you must give to the other!
I don't think they are particularly more work but it depends on the age and the breed. If you have two young bouncy dogs and they mess around playing all day I can see it would get tiring...

nightswimmer Thu 28-Feb-13 17:20:08

I would say think very carefully it would be sad to have to rehome it if it didn't work out. If you are a doggy person, (and it sounds like you are) and have a decent sized space, then why not. I have quite a small house and when I got a second one the place became a bit doggyfied.
However, it feels better when I go out to be able to know they have each other for company now. I did find however that the amount of barking increased-the one set the other off. But then my second one is a barky sort a breed, so that might not be everyone's experience .

NaughtyBetty Fri 01-Mar-13 15:42:11

Thanks for the advice guys, we are pretty laid back about chaos within the house, a lot of people seem to have two. I guess it also depends a lot on the temperament of the dogs and how well they get on.

mum47 Fri 01-Mar-13 15:49:49

Hm, we have a beagle, recently had the chance to rehome another one. I really really wanted to but the more we thought about it, we decided that life is chaoic as it is! It does depend on the type of dog - with beagles it could go either way - could be fantastic or sheer hell! You just don't know what it would be like until it was a done deal.

We also started considering costs, vets bills, kennels if we had to put two dogs into one (never dont it before but planning to go abroad this year so would have to consider this option) but saying that the cost alone wouldnot put me off.

Part of me really wishes we had gone for it - but I can hear our dog howling in the garden at something random as I type, so - maybe not!!

MagratGarlik Fri 01-Mar-13 23:06:27

We have two and actually find it easier than one.

We have two young dc's and we got whippy, who was so good that a year later we got a whippy x grey. They are wonderful company for each other and we have never yet had a fight between them. Just make sure you get two which are compatible - ours gelled from the first moment they met and at that point we knew we would be taking ddog 2 home.

charlearose Sat 02-Mar-13 00:11:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NaughtyBetty Sat 02-Mar-13 16:39:27

Awwww, feeling so broody for one today, DH still says no way.. sad

DeepRedBetty Sat 02-Mar-13 16:46:07

Where would you get dog 2? I'd be leery of getting a puppy when dog 1 is still so young, but a mid-aged rescue might work well. A good rescue would probably let you foster a dog for a while to see how he or she fits in.

I'd have considered your offer charlearose with my pet care agency. But probably have asked for cold hard cash instead!

LittlePushka Sat 02-Mar-13 17:01:36

I have two terriers and until I got my second I had previously oly every had a single dog at a time. Having now had them for ten years I would definitely never have just one dog again. It is not more onerous with two for us, than it is with one (seven, perhaps so wink. It takes no longer to feed an exercise two than it does one. Costs re doubled though - - in our case though save for teeth descaling from time to time, they basically cost what they eat.

.Good luck smile

cq Sat 02-Mar-13 17:07:57

I've def never regretted having a second dog - first dog is so much happier with company, and less lazy. As someone said up thread, no longer to walk and feed 2 than 1, but twice the muddy paws and wet dog smell! Kennel fees alsoshock

Biggest issue for me has been training two. Harder to teach good behaviour, walking to heel etc to two dogs - have to work one at a time which is obv very time consuming, and then the other goes nuts at being left out. Sigh.

Love 'em though grin

Mynewmoniker Sat 02-Mar-13 17:32:56

YY its the training of the second labrador that catches us out. First dog is very sensible and sensitive and takes the blame for the second's bad behaviour. The second one just stands looking at you like a demented donkey!

Wintering two labs in a small house takes some effort; the wet and the mud.

We love them though.

TheCatInTheHairnet Sat 02-Mar-13 17:46:13

I find having two easier than one. They keep each other company. After one of my dogs died last year, my other dog was so needy I had to get another one!

NaughtyBetty Sat 02-Mar-13 18:22:44

I really want one sad, help me convince DH!

Mynewmoniker Sat 02-Mar-13 20:05:06

Right NaughtyBetty...

Keep looking on line for massive dogs that need rehoming; Great Danes, Pyrannean Mountain Dogs etc. Do this for a few weeks and show him each one you've found...the sadder the eyes the better.

When he complains say he's concerned you want to take his feelings into consideration and that you'll compromise on size and agree to get a much smaller one.

That way he'll think he's had some input into the decision! grin

NaughtyBetty Sat 02-Mar-13 20:08:36

Haha! That is genius! Will give it a go grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now