What am I doing wrong?

(9 Posts)
pipsqueak Thu 28-Feb-13 01:39:37

Our cockerpoo aged 3 is delightful and much loved but Gradually over the course of a month or so she has started to wee in the house at night. It's driving me nuts . She has a good walk every day and is let out frequently into garden which is massive for a run about and wee . We We let her out before bed and she sleeps with us but in the night she slopes off to one of two rooms and wees on carpet . I just don't know how to break the habit . I really regret getting a dig now which is so sad as I love her so much but am at the end of my tether with this - any advice gratefully received

pipsqueak Thu 28-Feb-13 08:09:04

Bump for morning dog folk grin

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Thu 28-Feb-13 08:12:48

Have you spoken to the vet to make sure she doesn't have a urine infection?

Has she had a litter of pups? My rescue dog did this and was prescribed Propalin to stop incontinence, but she'd had a litter of pups and was slightly older. She'd had a prolapse.

EasyToEatTiger Thu 28-Feb-13 09:35:12

When you've had her checked for medical problems, you could keep her away from the place she wees in, clean it with special wee-enzyme killer, and keep her in a room without a carpet overnight, or in a crate. Dog's sense of smell is extraordinary and you will need special cleaner.

assumpta Thu 28-Feb-13 09:40:18

Hi, I would definitely check with the vet as she may a cystitis type problem, which could probably be cleared up with some antibiotics. If she has been good up till now, I am sure she is not doing it on purpose. I would do exactly what easytoeattiger has said. I know that a little spray of vinegar on the area they have weed, once cleaned, is supposed to help. I know it may stink of vinegar for a while, but if it help, who cares?

Is she actually weeing, or is it just leaking when she is relaxed? I thought for ages my springer was weeing but one day I saw her laying down and a puddle was just forming around her.

We tried propalin and it didn't work for us; it just turned my lovely playful dog into an anxious dog that now has to be walked wearing a muzzle because she keeps attacking other dogs. sad

Floralnomad Thu 28-Feb-13 10:09:04

Do you think if you shut your bedroom door she would wake you to go out ?

Wildfig Thu 28-Feb-13 10:48:59

the only time my dog's ever weed in the house was when she's had a UTI. Try to get a urine sample from her first thing in the morning (if she hasn't weed overnight) - you might have to lurk around her with a saucer, then slide it underneath. My dog looks very hurt when I do this. If the urine's dark, or smelly, or has traces of blood in it, then take her to the vet's for antibiotics.

pipsqueak Thu 28-Feb-13 21:18:17

Thanks everyone for advice . Will definitely take her to get , I hadn't thought of a possible uti as a cause . And thanks for tips re cleaning etc. love mumsnet !!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now