Police visit, false accusations

(94 Posts)
dogslife Tue 26-Feb-13 14:32:45

Have a staffordshire bull terrier, through ongoing problems with the neighbours they have falsely reported us for owning a pitbull (banned breed)

Have a police visit scheduled for next week to determine if he is "of type", have printed out the relevant documents and highlighted things relevant, been in touch with vet and also with DDA watch charity who help people affected by BSL. Is there anything else i could/should be doing. Heartbroken at the thought of losing our pet.

Well the neighbour sounds nuts. Perhaps have a written list of the reports he's made to handover ( I wouldn't start listing verbally as you might start to sound bit as if you're ranting about him, but if you just say there's been no complaints re the dog but he's reporting other neighbours for xy and z it might help)

dogslife Tue 26-Feb-13 16:34:03

thanks, i am glad to know there are people like you guys here for support. to be honest i thought i would get laughed at if i reported the staring into the house

dogslife Tue 26-Feb-13 16:35:47

no complaints about my dog at all. have sectioned off the end of the gardenas our gardens run alongside each other with a gate so he cannot call the dog up to the fence between us as was worried about him making false allegations about him so now he phsyically cannot get near the dog and vice versa.

SpicyPear Tue 26-Feb-13 17:34:27

So sorry to hear this. I have a Staffie and understand how horrible this must be. It really is despicable legislation. I see you've spoken to DDA Watch etc already so that's great. I would second Trevor Cooper as per Scuttle's link. He runs a premium rate advice line if you need any further advice. Everything crossed for you and don't sign anything. They cannot seize him from your property without a warrant. Everything crossed for you and please update us. Friendly dogs should not have to suffer, at best, being kennelled and then muzzled because of how they look.

digerd Tue 26-Feb-13 17:39:51

OP
When it's dark why don't you draw the curtains or pull the blinds down?
The police action to prevent burglars advise closing curtains at night so they can't see in.
Sorry you have a horrid neighbour. Good luck with the police, but if you have KC papers stating he is a Staffie, surely that should suffice imo

SpicyPear Tue 26-Feb-13 17:48:39

Unfortunately digerd KC staffies have been deemed to be pit bull types because of the ridiculous way the legislation is drafted. Most pit bull types aren't in the slightest bit pit bull, just bull breed crosses that fit certain measurements.

dogslife Tue 26-Feb-13 18:38:18

thanks for the advice glad to hear that i seem to be doing all the right things so far. as spicedpear says i really wish i could believe it would all be okay but they seem to take more notice of measurements than papers or anything else.
I dont have any curtains in the kitchen, we had one net curtain but you could see through it and now there are two so cant see through it. to put a curtain there would be quite expensive and we have never needed to before now but we may have too soon!

tabulahrasa Tue 26-Feb-13 19:02:39

I don't have a staffy and I still think it's an awful piece of legislation.

I hope everything goes fine for you.

Dogslife, look into sticky back plastic for windows. I think it's made by Fablon. Lets the light in, keeps nosey bastards out! wink

dogslife Tue 26-Feb-13 19:30:33

ah that would be brilliant does it go on crease free so it looks like the actual window? good plan!

You spray the glass with a solution of water and washing up liquid. Then when you apply it it slips about a bit for a little while and you can smooth the bubbles out. A big ruler is great for the smoothing. I love it. You don't even have to put it over the whole window, just high enough for people not to see in!

dogslife Tue 26-Feb-13 19:54:11

will be on the lookout for this stuff, that would be brill.

I've seen it in b&q, homebase and the range. It's also called privacy film for windows.

bamboobutton Tue 26-Feb-13 19:59:43

I found this for you that should stop the creep peering in.

hope everything turn out alright, which I'm sure it will.

dogslife Tue 26-Feb-13 20:05:17

that looks fab, just hope next week goes well and im posting a happy update!

SpicyPear Tue 26-Feb-13 20:30:05

Good luck OP. I second the window film. It's very effective.

Frettchen Wed 27-Feb-13 21:36:49

I've been looking into this ridiculous legislation a bit of late and it very much seems like the onus is on the owner to prove that a dog is not a pit bull or 'pit bull type'. It sounds to me like your KC papers would do the trick. If you're at all worried I would recommend getting in touch with the ladies at Breed Not Deed - from their site it sounds like they've helped a lot of people in your position; where the dog isn't a banned breed but has caught the attention of the police for various reasons.

Good luck for next week, and definitely get the police involved if he continues harrassing you.

dogslife Fri 01-Mar-13 21:39:33

have had some fantastic support from the DDA watch charity, my boy is booked in with the vet this week before the visit to be neutured which we have been waiting to do for a while. I am very concerned about the visit and a little upset tonight, sad at the prospect of them taking my boy and how long he could be away for. he is a gentle soul.

ToomuchWaternotWine Tue 05-Mar-13 17:39:06

Is there any update OP? Have the police been yet? Thinking if you and hope it all goes well. Second the idea of listing the complaints he is making about everyone so they are aware of his tactics. Best of luck x

dogslife Tue 05-Mar-13 20:32:10

evening, police visit is later on this week so ill be back to update but will post in the meantime. My boy went in to be neutured this morning hes home now and apart from being sleepy hes fine. ive got all the info and backing i can possibly have. Practice manager is doing a letter vouching for his excellent temprement whilst hes been in their care and when he goes in. just hoping for the best now, am armed with all the information possible and have done everything i can possibly think of.

you have had some fabulous advice and I wish you the best of luck for the visit.

Please do update, this sort of thing is becoming more regular with SBT owners.

dogslife Tue 05-Mar-13 21:46:07

have been really upset this week. we have had an awful time lately as a family and ive been feeling pretty low. he takes my mind off things when we are out walking, he is my companian when dp is away He generally makes things seem that little less crap.I am just hoping that i have done enough. It certainly is becoming more and more common and i cannot recommend DDA watch enough they have been a brilliant support.

gymmummy64 Tue 05-Mar-13 23:10:41

Been following your thread and keeping my fingers crossed for you Dogslife Your boy sounds so lovely x

dogslife Wed 06-Mar-13 11:16:13

he really is, hope it goes okay tomorrow am very prepared anyway. picking vet letter up today

Rooting for you and your boy x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now