Dog Health Insurance - worth it for old dog?

(19 Posts)
Owllady Wed 27-Feb-13 23:25:34

ulltrasounds, sorry !

Owllady Wed 27-Feb-13 23:25:13

yes, our vet detailed how much things cost and xrays/ultrapuns etc is very expensive and that was before anything was actually diagnosed

luckily for us our 10 yr old was unremarkable on her her blood tests and got better with IV and hospital stay but like I say that was almost £700

but you know I love that dog and I think she looks after me more than I look after her blush as does the other one at my feet

Another one here strongly in favour of insurance. We lost our darling old girl last year - she had a stroke before she died but it was so reassuring to know that we weren't being contstrained by cost when discussing with the vet all the options for treatment. Only a couple of months later we unexpectedly lost our other elderly dog and in the course of just two days (which of course was over a weekend sad) his vets bills were up to nearly £600. Things like blood tests, X rays, even prescriptions for straightforward painkillers/ABS etc can be really expensive, and if things happen on a weekend then the OOHs fees mount up alarmingly.

I'm also glad that other people have mentioned the important issue of 3rd party liability too.

Owllady Wed 27-Feb-13 22:55:24

yes i would have been gutted to have my dog pts for something that tooka couple of days in vet hospital to get over sad I was distraughT!

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Wed 27-Feb-13 22:54:01

Nooo. This is the time your dog will need the insurance the most. You may have only claimed £100 so far but that could change very quickly. You may want to let your dog go gentle into the night but really, would you have your dog PTS for something that could be managed by insurance paying something?

Owllady Wed 27-Feb-13 22:49:06

oh my older dog is 10 as well, nearly 11

Owllady Wed 27-Feb-13 22:48:45

I have gone with more than insurance (part of royal and sun alliance) and it costs £22 I think, £33 for both dogs
I think it is worth it. I had an expensive bill between insurance (ffs ! ) where mydog had severe gastritis, never had it befor and the quote was £1200 shock and we ended up paying about £700
get insurance honestly. I was just relieved we could pay the vet bill tbh

Frettchen Wed 27-Feb-13 21:25:54

Oh, and I've also paid up to Dogs Trust as their Public Liability Insurance covers the work place so long as the dog isn't actually being worked, which mine isn't (unless sleeping in her basket most of the day counts as work!)

Frettchen Wed 27-Feb-13 21:13:33

I have to have insurance for my hound (11 years old) because I take her to work with me, and they won't allow uninsured dogs on the premises. I've just signed up with Tescos; highest level of insurance is £38 per month, probably should have gone with a lower one...

With the other animals (cats and ferrets) I just put some money into a savings account each month. This should, in theory, cover any animal emergencies or any car emergencies. I'm keeping my fingers crossed I never get both in the same month, otherwise I'll be auctioning off a kidney to the highest bidder!

OhThisIsJustGrape Mon 25-Feb-13 11:12:08

This very subject is often a cause for heated discussion between DH and I. Our almost 10yo Lab is insured at the cost of £60 a month an DH wants to cancel the policy and put the money into a separate account.

I don't think it's a good idea at all as you just don't know what's around the corner.

In the last 3yrs he has cost a small fortune in vets bills - he ate a sock which became stuck in his intestine, resulting in major emergency surgery at around £1100. Late last year he had a mast cell tumour removed, another £1000. Last week he had a funny turn which meant another trip to the vet, £66 just for consultation and a few painkillers.

I've compared policies and we could get it much cheaper but they won't cover previous conditions. So if he it another mast cell tumour (highly likely) he wouldn't be insured.

Public liability is a very good point too, I dread him ever getting out of our garden and onto the main road outside and causing an accident.

I'm sticking to my guns on this one, we've been paying for years and it would be foolish to cancel now when he is in his elderly years and more likely to begin costing us plenty. Plus at £34/month you would have to go a good few years of saving the funds before pus be quids in should your dog need any treatment for anything chronic or major.

tabulahrasa Mon 25-Feb-13 11:02:25

Mine is £35 a month and he's a puppy - that was the cheapest I could find.

To be fair, I've had my money's worth out of it - £3000 on xrays, a CT scan and a leg operation shock

SpicyPear Mon 25-Feb-13 09:47:39

Juat a quick note to say that of you don't continue it, make sure ypu have alternative public liability insurance e.g. by joining the Dogs Trust. People have been caught out with compensation clqims and additional legal fees running into tens of thousands when their dogs have caused accidents and injury.

lotsofdogshere Mon 25-Feb-13 07:47:31

I cancelled our rescue dogs insurance when he was 5, as we were saving for uni for the children. 6 weeks later he lept over a barbed wire fence and had surgery at a cost of £300. When a 2nd dog arrived I tried to re-insure first dog, then aged 7 but the cost was huge and I decided not to bother. He was fine until last year when he developed various age related health problems. He was pts just before Christmas aged 15. The vet bills for his final year were about £700 but could have been much higher I know. I have the other two young dogs insured and decided that putting the £40 a month into an account wouldn't cover accidents so it's best to pay up for the insurance and try not to grumble. There is a post today about a young dog and an eye injury caused by brambles. One of my dogs had a similar injury, which led to an abcess on her eye, she also injured both front legs on different occasions racing through bramble bushes after a squirrel. Young dogs are so accident prone, and older dogs get ill. My neighbours dog slipped his lead and was hit by a car, broken leg cost £5000.

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 23-Feb-13 06:58:53

By far and a away the most common claims are for chronic health conditions such as heart problems or arthritis. Heart conditions particularly can amount to over £100 per for a larger dog in meds. It is a balancing act many dogs live 2-3 years on the heart meds.

rubyrubyruby Fri 22-Feb-13 20:20:34

£70 - wow,

It's not like we have ever claimed much. Only a couple of times for £100 or so.

1MitchellMum Fri 22-Feb-13 18:41:26

Have you been paying it all her life? If so I think it's a bit foolish to give it up at the time she's likely to need stuff. Maybe not a hip replacement or similar at her age but there's other things you may wish to claim on. Mine is 9 years old and I pay nearly £70 a month ...

Grunzlewheek Fri 22-Feb-13 18:39:13

How about putting £34 a month in a special account (no cheating !) dog gets ill the moneys there to sort her out, dog doesn't get ill grin

Lucyellensmum95 Fri 22-Feb-13 18:36:20

I'm loathe to say this but - "go compare the confused meerkat" You can compare insurance companies and see if you can get a better deal, howwever you may find they wont take you on. Worth a try - also, look at the policy, is it a "lifetime" policy? Is she a fit and sprightly 10? My rottie lived to 12 which is stupidly old for a rottie and we had a 22 yo jrt at the vets. If she is "old" then maybe opt out of the "lifetime" cover because if she does develop a life limiting illness that does require medication it might only cost that per month, so you could get the meds paid for for a year and then cover it yourself after that? obviously she wont go on forever. Id be comparing and considering just putting money away - you'd be surprised how much an acute case vet bill can be - saying you need an out of hours vet ? Stupidly expensive here.

Lots to consider - id not want to be paying that much though. I don't have my dogs insured because i used to be a vet nurse and my old boss is very good and only charges me cost so its not wroth it for me.

rubyrubyruby Fri 22-Feb-13 18:28:30

Just looked at my Direct Debit shock
So expensive!

Opinions please on whether its worth it? It realistically , with an older dog, we would probably let nature take its course if she became ill sad

She's aged 10 - £34 a month!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now