ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

What do you do with your dog when you take DC out for the day?

(15 Posts)
SilverMoo Sat 16-Feb-13 18:51:00

Our 11 month old dog barks & whines when we go out, we have never left him for more than 2.5 hours (apart from once) as there is usually someone home (I'm a SAHM)

We went out the other w/e to visit family, my Dad came round to check on our dog as we left him for 5.5 hours and the dog was traumatised and peed all over the floor...

We really want to take DC out next weekend all day saturday just worried about dog!!!

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Turniphead1 Sat 16-Feb-13 19:05:32

We haven't left our puppy for longer than 3 hrs yet - but planning to out her in "daycare" ( dreadful expression) should we be doing a full day out.

YourHandInMyHand Sat 16-Feb-13 19:11:11

We have a local doggy crèche/day care in our area can you see if there is anything like that local to you? Or could your dad or anyone else have dog for the day?

badguider Sat 16-Feb-13 19:12:51

You'll need a dog walker next saturday, maybe even twice depending how long you're out for.

My friends have two dogs who stay at home for around 4hrs at a time. If they're going out for longer they take them with them, walk them on arrival wherever they're going and leave them in the campervan (always in the shade, with water, and with the top up which has air vents). If it was a zoo or something one of them would go out to the car park for a bit partway through the day and walk them again. Then they'd get out for a walk again before setting off on the journey home.

ratbagcatbag Sat 16-Feb-13 19:15:09

You need a friends teenager, who you can pay £10 to come dog sit and walk him for you, I used to. Do this. As a teenager and loved it. smile

SilverMoo Sat 16-Feb-13 19:16:05

Our local daycare is only open on weekday unfortunately!

SilverMoo Sat 16-Feb-13 19:16:38

That's a great idea! Will ask around

SilverMoo Sat 16-Feb-13 19:18:09

If you have two dogs is it easier to leave them as they keep each other company? Would love another dog!

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SilverMoo Sat 16-Feb-13 19:24:22

Do dog walkers come to your house to collect the dog and then drop them home even though you aren't home?

Troubleintmill Sat 16-Feb-13 20:56:11

We have 2 dogs. Got one to keep the other company, mistake! We wouldn't get rid of one now but I really would not recommend getting another dog for this reason.
We have a dog walker for when we can't manage to give the dogs a proper walk or are going out for a long period. Dog walkers round here usually do one walk at weekends. They have a key for the house and will come in and collect the dogs if we are out and drop off after walk. They are quite accommodating but we have been using them a few years now.
Definately get someone to walk the dog if you are out for a day, specially as its a young dog.

bergedorf Sun 17-Feb-13 14:00:19

I've got a friend who's a dog walker and she has keys for all the houses. She picks up, does an hours walk with the dogs and then drops home again. She makes sure it's the Walk that's an hour and doesn't include the driving time, so might be worth checking that out!
I use a dog walker up the road from me, only because we see him most days and my dog knows him very well. He'll take dogs for the whole day and give them 2 walks. My dog went to him for a day during half term, while I took the DCs on a day trip. Works brilliantly.

Branleuse Sun 17-Feb-13 14:10:08

we just walk her first then leave her at home and she sleeps and scruffs up my bed.

Shes an old girl though, shes 12 and perfectly ok with it

Earlybird Sun 17-Feb-13 14:17:05

We walk him, and then put him in his crate. He seems happy and comfortable there, and goes in willingly when we tap the top of the crate. He appears more content in 'his space' when we are out - doesn't do as well if we leave him to wander 'round the house.

I also leave the telly or radio on for a bit of 'company' for him - but who knows if that comforts him at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now