ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

My puppy ran away

(8 Posts)
littlewhitebag Fri 15-Feb-13 20:17:17

Hubby took our 9 mth lab pup out for a walk round the golf course early this morning. Pup was following the scent of deer and disappeared through a gap in the fence into a wooded area with a fast flowing stream. She did not return to him and after 10-15 minutes calling and searching for her he called home in a panic looking for back up.

DD2 threw her coat on over her pyjamas and ran to assist only to find pup sitting at our back gate! Somehow she had realised she was unable to locate DH and managed to make her way home. Clever puppy!

I really hope she doesn't make a habit of this.

frustratedworkingmum Fri 15-Feb-13 20:19:06

phew

Wallace Fri 15-Feb-13 20:37:37

Clever pup.

Ours did the same thing at about the same age when chased by a scary German Shepherd. She's never done it again, but it is nice to know that they know the way home and know it is a safe place to be smile

They are brilliant aren't they? Although I think mine would be more likely to wait for dh outside our local hostelry.

gymmummy64 Fri 15-Feb-13 23:31:20

I've been helped a lot by Pippa Mattinson's book Total Recall for my adult rescue dog. Her book also has loads of information for puppies and it's very much based on modern reward-based training methods.

My rescue was a serial absconder and the book explained how he would be self-rewarding all the time he was away. I needed to be a bigger attraction!

That seemed like quite a big ask, but I have to say, by following much of what the book said (steps borne out many times by posters on here), I do now seem to be more attractive than the river grin

I've no real experience with puppies, but from my experience with my absconder I would say nip it in the bud immediately - it's a very long haul once the behaviour is established

littlewhitebag Sat 16-Feb-13 09:11:18

Gymmummy - thank you. I think i will get that book. I have been on a Labrador site which gave good advice and recommended that book. Pup doesn't stray far from me and she recalls much better for me as i make my walks interesting with loads of things to stimulate her. I am also the one who takes her to obedience classes. I think DH thinks that she will just do things for her him like she will do them for me but it just doesn't work that way. I really need to get him on side and he does like a book to tell him things rather than me!

alwaysworking Sat 16-Feb-13 09:46:22

i find this one of the most frustrating elements about husbands. i do all the courses, all the reading etc which is how he likes it but when i tell him how we should be doing something, he's "oh for heaven's sake" about it.

i.e. moans that she pulls, i agree so organise classes, work out what we should be doing to stop her. he then starts saying "i can't keep up with all of this" and huffing and tutting. makes me mad.

Wallace Sat 16-Feb-13 17:14:51

I get the same from my older children. "Can't we just let her be a dog?" "Just let her chill out" etc when I remind them they need to do training when walking her

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now