My dog is foul... (not to be read by those of a nervous disposition)

(21 Posts)

Right.

My daughter is still in nappies- we mostly use cloth, but some disposables here and there. Our mutt has, on a few occasions now, managed to get among them and actually eat the poo.

We do generally take the usual steps of trying to ensure she can't get at them, but occasionally life happens and we fail slightly. And she's in like Flynn. On past occasions she waited until we were out of the house, and we have returned to a house joyfully bedecked in festive brown confetti. (Enjoy the mental image...) However, today, she snuck into the bathroom while I was downstairs with my daughter getting her properly cleaned up and licked the whole thing clean. This was an Epic Nappy, btw... envy <-- sick face

I realise that we do need to try to keep doors shut etc, but our doors are crap and don't close properly, so it's easy for her to shove her way in if she really wants. Am going to start putting everything well out of reach now.

For the love of Christ, is this in any way normal in a dog? Does anyone have any insight into why she might be doing it? Is my dog the most disgusting hound on Mumsnet?

Wolfiefan Thu 14-Feb-13 23:00:44

She? Do mum dogs eat faeces to hide evidence of their pups from predators?
Or she is just gross! grin

tabulahrasa Thu 14-Feb-13 23:04:22

All my dogs have done it - I've been told that it's effectively cleaning up after the puppy... I'm not sure I quite believe that, but the alternative is that dogs are disgusting scavengers and I'd rather believe they're being nice, rofl

Interesting. I think I like the 'cleaning up after the puppy' angle. Honestly, though, it's like a bizarre compulsion with her. She wouldn't even come into the bathroom to look at what she'd done earlier- she just hung her head in shame and then slunk away to lie down: it really was the shame of a junkie who just couldn't help themselves.

Eeeeurgh.

Thank you, fellow doggyfolk. smile

pigsDOfly Fri 15-Feb-13 00:17:28

My bitch eats the cat's poo. I've also heard it's because the female is clearing up after the puppies, or the other reason: that the dog's diet is deficient in certain nutrients, which I don't believe either. Personally I think they do it because they like the taste. My cat is elderly now and no longer wants to go outside so I'm in a perpetual race with the dog to see who can get to the litter tray first. Nice!

ScottyDoc Fri 15-Feb-13 00:28:09

How the hell can you have a dog around your kids and house when it does that? Forgive me if I sound harsh but I just can't believe anyone would? I have grown up with dogs and their nice habits and I just think they're pretty unhygienic. Time for a kennel perhaps.

ClaraOswinOswald Fri 15-Feb-13 00:40:05

Time for an outside nappy bin. The only concern I would have would be if the dog was alone with the baby and the baby filled a nappy. Unlikely but better safe than sorry.

My dog has been known to go through bins for tissues and once it got hold of a panty liner, but never again as DD was mortified so she shuts her bathroom door now.

Booyhoo Fri 15-Feb-13 00:44:45

yup WB does this too. ds2 will occasionally have a poo accident and i'll scrape and put the pants in wash basket but forget to close the stairgate. ten minutes later i'll find WB licking away to his heart's content at the poo pants. either that or he'll wander up onto the sofa for a cuddle and breathe in my face <BLEUGH> hmm

D0oinMeCleanin Fri 15-Feb-13 00:46:02

you can't keep a baby in a kennel shock

Booyhoo Fri 15-Feb-13 00:47:05

hmm @ scotty

Booyhoo Fri 15-Feb-13 00:47:54

grin @ doin

<hides photos of ds2 in dog crate>

tabulahrasa Fri 15-Feb-13 01:10:37

But, both my DC fit in the crate at once - it's dead handy...is that not right then?

Booyhoo Fri 15-Feb-13 12:38:09

i think it's ok as long as you dont put them in while the dog is in. that wouldn't be fair on the dog

HormonalHousewife Fri 15-Feb-13 12:40:31

Our dog eats other dog poo...THANKS TO ALL THOSE LAZY FECKERS THAT DONT PICK UP

but only when its frozen confused...

they are really gross arent they.

minicreamegg Fri 15-Feb-13 15:50:27

My dogs were the same hmm even if I left a vest lying that had poo up the back the dogs would sniff it out and lick it clean. The dogs don't do it now tho (DS 11months) but I read it was the high milk content that would make them eat the nappies.

TeaOneSugar Fri 15-Feb-13 17:29:50

When we had two Springers and one was sick, the other would eat it before you had a chance to clean it up - while it was still hot!

Really used to turn my stomach.

MrSlant Fri 15-Feb-13 17:34:16

Once we were in the garden and my friend picked up her toddler to let her do an 'emergency wee' on the borders and she did a poo instead. Her dog shot over and ate the poo before anyone could even react. When we had stopped shrieking we agreed it was quite an efficient way of getting it tidied up.

Just never let the dog lick your face and you'll be fine wink

UterusUterusGhali Fri 15-Feb-13 18:15:16

Isn't there a school of thought that that's why dogs were domesticated in the first place? They hung about homo erectus' encampments eating pop & warning of danger. It was a mutually beneficial arrangement so puppies evolved to be, like, cute. Or summut. grin

Totally normal!

It's a race in our house to get to a small child's vom between MNStaff & I!

WitchOfEndor Fri 15-Feb-13 18:20:41

Labs are notorious poo eaters but thankfully DDog has never done this! <shivers at the very thought>

Grunzlewheek Fri 15-Feb-13 18:22:40

Our dog did that when my kids were little, then she got a bit carried away and would shred unused nappies if she could get hold of them too ! confused

GobblersKnob Fri 15-Feb-13 18:29:46

I have told this before, but I'll tell it again, my lovely whippet once speedily scoffed a poo from the potty before I could get to him and then 30 minutes later vomited it back all over the living room floor in a river of brown slurry.

There are no words for the smell, truely the worst thing I have ever smelt, and we have floorboard and it went down the cracks.

I actually cried blushgrin

Dogs eh? Who'd 'ave 'em?grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now