Treats for puppy training classes

(7 Posts)
Owllady Thu 14-Feb-13 09:27:46

stupid question, but I use strips of cooked plain chicken to train at home, will this be okay to use at class? Obviously it isn't smelly but I find manufactured dog treats really upset my dogs stomachs (one had gastritis from it for instance)

or are there other gentler alternative I haven't thought of too?

tabulahrasa Thu 14-Feb-13 09:54:20

I use chicken or hotdogs or cheese. Or a mix of all 3.

Anything hard gets choked on in the excitement of training classes anyway, lol

Owllady Thu 14-Feb-13 09:58:34

I have never been to one before confused i have been a dog owner most of my life though but this is the first time I have enrolled for classes. Are they good fun? I am taking my 11 year son with me too

I took chicken and cheddar. They are the treats of choice at home but the excitement of puppy class meant he had no interest in treats there, he was too busy attempting to hang himself trying to get to the puppies whilst I fruitlessly dangled treats he couldn't give a rats ass about blush

Can you tell we were THAT pair? grin

tabulahrasa Thu 14-Feb-13 12:45:17

Mine tried to get the treats and get to the other puppies... Hence the choking, lol

Fun? Um, they are an experience anyway, other people seemed to have fun, monster puppy definitely has fun, me, not so much, lol

Owllady Thu 14-Feb-13 22:16:10

god she was quite a character
yapped persistently at other very small, puppy looking type dogs with curly
then crapped in full view of them all and then carried on with much of the same yapping, over enthusiastic growling (which one family obviously felt was aggressive <sigh>) and yapped some more
but did all the training and did everything asked of her, including distraction - she is a very clever girl
but I am exhausted and my son decided half way through to diswon us and sit with another family shock

You did way better than us then as when my pup finally obeyed a command 5 weeks in I heard the trainer yelp 'WELL DONE FAN!!!!' from across the gymgrin

People used to audiably giggle when we called. The stupid thing is there isn't a thing (including high 5 grin) that I haven't managed to clicker train within 3 attempts. He is just like a demented wild thing when he thinks he has the chance of sitting on another dogs head <sigh>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now