Please recommend a dry food for a one year old lab

(24 Posts)
Wallace Wed 13-Feb-13 19:40:17

Our pup is almost one so time to move on from her puppy food. She has been on Beta Puppy, but I have been trying her on the adult equivalent and she just turns her nose up at it confused

I certainly wouldn't mind trying something a bit cheaper than Beta, and would rather not go up a price bracket. I did see somebody recommend a Pets at Home own brand, but can't remember what it was.

Thanks

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Wed 13-Feb-13 19:47:42

What flavour/type of beta have you tried him on? My lab will only eat beef flavour, and with beta he would only touch the beta active he wouldn't consider the other types.

I don't know the pets at home versions I'm afraid, but I do know you want one with the least number of additives and a high meat content.

Wallace Wed 13-Feb-13 19:57:08

Thanks, it was the chicken flavour. Wouldn't want to try the Active as she has enough energy anyway grin

I did think the pieces seemed very big compared to the puppy food.

tabulahrasa Wed 13-Feb-13 20:14:36

Fishmongers is a good pets at home one - I don't know how it compares in price though.

Wallace Wed 13-Feb-13 20:18:31

Looks like it works out a bit more expensive, which is a shame.

bubbles1231 Wed 13-Feb-13 20:20:18

I usually Beta Pet Maintenance.

ballybee Wed 13-Feb-13 20:26:20

depends on your budget, wainwrights from pets at home is good, if you want cheaper you can try skinners(field and trial), arden grange, CSJ(i use Hi-Lost and my dogs love it) or autarky.

If you can afford a bit more you could look at james wellbeloved, fish4dogs, barking heads, markus muhle or if you're feeling flush maybe something like acana, taste of the wild or orijen.

This link is really good, it has a ratings system and gives you prices, RDAs etc etc

http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-health-nutrition/255727-updated-dry-dog-food-index.html

Wallace Wed 13-Feb-13 20:29:36

Wainwrights was the one I was thinking of! Thanks for all the suggestions, I will go and have a look smile

Wallace Wed 13-Feb-13 20:30:10

That link didn't work - do I have to be registered?

cathpip Wed 13-Feb-13 20:30:55

We use beta pet maintenance or beta adult, if you check online there is a supplier ( something titmuss) I think and they do buy one 15kg bag and get a second half price, whenever I have ordered by 10am I have received the food the next day and they don't charge for delivery!

firstpost Wed 13-Feb-13 20:32:24

Another vote for Skinners heresmile

Fridaysmum Wed 13-Feb-13 20:33:44

The Pets at Home own brand is Wainrights as far as I know.

The other one my dog would happily eat when we bought small bags to take away on holiday (and is also available from some supermarkets) is Harringtons.

Mmmm.

Excelt they are all processed shite. Carbs sprayed with 'animal derivities' to make the dog eat it <boak>

Dogs are meant to eat raw meat.

tabulahrasa Wed 13-Feb-13 20:42:08

Yeah wainwrights is pets at home as well, fishmongers is better though, not that my fussy dog would eat either, lol.

There's ballybee's link but clickable

And which dog food is a really good comparison site.

Allfurcoatandnoknickers Wed 13-Feb-13 20:47:04

I've gone back to using Burns for my six year old dog, and Natural Dog food company for 7mth old puppy. Both seem good and not too many nasties in them,.,

Rikalaily Wed 13-Feb-13 20:51:25

We feed Wainrights wet and dry (1 tray of wet and 2 cupfuls of dry a day, split into 2 meals). The thing with more expensive foods is that you need to feed less of it so it can work out costing the same as a cheaper brand.

Have heard good things about the Skinners field and trial (just the field & trial though the others are not as good) James Wellbeloved too.

HotPinkWeaselWearingLederhosen Wed 13-Feb-13 22:34:49

Beta is massively full of sugars, so I am not surprised at the nose turning at other foods.

An excellent, well priced and minimally processed dry food is Burns Alert.

Skinners Rice range is the best of the Skinners range, but still has a lot of cereal in it.

Wallace Thu 14-Feb-13 07:44:32

Thanks for all the advice. I am still doing my research smile

grace - I have thought about feeding raw food, but really don't have the freezer room. Also dh is very unconvinced.

It is Beta she is turning her nose up at. She had some WAGG at MIL's and loved it.

HotPinkWeaselWearingLederhosen Thu 14-Feb-13 07:53:11

Ring the manufacturers - they are usually happy to send samples smile

lpy101 Thu 14-Feb-13 18:53:21

My lab has a sensitive tummy. He was having arden grange for quite a while until we came across a couple selling Trophy foods. He continues to have the sensitive range. It costs £30 for a 15kg bag, which lasts around six weeks. Would recommend. They deliver for free too! X

MIL has 2 black labs (both about a year old) and feeds them on Hills science plan. She buys in bulk so its not too expensive, but its only about 15ish% meat.
Ddog eats James Wellbeloved, which is very expensive (about £60 for 15kg which is 6months supply shock) but contains around 30% meat.

Wallace Fri 15-Feb-13 15:41:29

Thanks all smile

I've ordered some CSJ "That's all" So I'll let you know how we get on.

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Fri 15-Feb-13 15:45:50

We were on Fish4Dogs but it got a bit expensive so we moved on to Skinners Salmon & Rice. ArseDog loves it - but then he'd probably eat anything ...

maudpringle Fri 15-Feb-13 16:00:40

My lab loves skinners and I get many compliments on her beautiful coat. non working dogs have no need for james wellbeloved

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now