Shops that allow dogs

(15 Posts)
AtoZandbackagain Tue 12-Feb-13 18:21:49

Last time I had a dog was back in 1969 when you could take a dog almost anywhere!

What shops allow you to bring your dog in these days? Does the Post Office, bank, library etc.

Are most pubs dog-free zones these days?

Thank you

BoneyEm1972 Wed 13-Feb-13 09:25:54

Hi

The only

BoneyEm1972 Wed 13-Feb-13 09:30:04

Oops. Sorry - sausage fingers !!!

The only places I have taken boneydog are the animal feed store, pets at home and the garden centres

Not sure my local tesco would appreciate my little lunatic grin

SpicyPear Wed 13-Feb-13 10:17:01

It depends where you are and what dog to some extent. Near me all those places are no dogs allowed. We have a couple of dog friendly pubs so I only really take them there or pet shops.

Friend of mine has a dachsund though and he seems to be allowed more places as he is tiny and cute!

AtoZandbackagain Wed 13-Feb-13 12:00:10

Thank you. That's interesting. Just shows how times have changed.

Gorran Sun 17-Feb-13 22:20:57

We're always amazed when we take Daisy to Cornwall at how many shops allow dogs, it's such a dog friendly place. Here in London, the only places tend to be pubs or Pets at Home...

Aquelven Mon 18-Feb-13 07:11:54

A lot does depend on the size of the dog.
In our village you can take dogs into the bank & the post office, three of the five pubs ( it's a boozy touristy village) but not the pet shop for some bizarre reason.
Other places, I've rarely been refused entry with my two little ones if I offer to carry them (even being told I can let them walk) but it's more difficult with our two bigger ones.

Some areas are far more dog welcoming than others, mostly tourist regions.

cogitosum Mon 18-Feb-13 07:17:52

I saw a lady with a dog (not an assistance dog) in John Lewis on Oxford street on Friday. As far as I saw no one told her to leave or approaches her at all! That surprised me!

TheChimpParadox Mon 18-Feb-13 08:33:23

Alot of pubs allow dogs - came across this website the other day -

Photos of Dogs in Pubs

You will get people who think its 'disgusting' to have a dog in a pub - but at least they lie quietly under the table unlike children grin

Just waiting for the comment -' but my children don't lick their arse !'

sleepysox Mon 18-Feb-13 19:12:52

Most places near me accept dogs- our local chocolatier/ cafe, cafe Nero, Joules, East, our local pubs and restaurants. Places which don't accept dogs still let us in, as I have a chihuahua, such as the pharmacy and library!

wildfig Mon 18-Feb-13 20:03:10

If you look closely at the side door in Liberty's in London, you'll see a silhouette of a medium-sized dog and a note above it which says that dogs this size or smaller are allowed in the shop. I have large but low-slung dogs - have never been brave enough to try it!

Where I live, in the middle of nowhere, you can take dogs on leads into most pubs, the Natwest bank, the country store, and the dry cleaners.

Around here the dog can go in half the garden centres, pets at home, orvis and (oddly) Waterstones. Plus most of the pubs but not in restaurant areas in most. I think it varies so you need to check for signs or ask.

TootaLaFruit Mon 18-Feb-13 22:05:32

Where are you based? There's a website called Buster's Best which lists all dog-friendly pubs, restaurants and shops, but it's just for London I think (well, within the M25) I love dog-friendly places, shows a lot of warmth, I think

My local bank allows dogs, Robert dyas, pubs and pet shops. Not B&Q for some reason or millets.
I am going to plan a trip to libertys just to take my baby substitute dog there.

TheChimpParadox Tue 19-Feb-13 07:48:56

Funny that Millets doesn't - Cotswold Outdoor does .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now