Dog tag

(13 Posts)
lulu2 Wed 06-Feb-13 12:50:11

What info needs to go on a dog tag please? Should we put microchip details on it ?

I have just had one made for our puppy via Amazon for less than a fiver. Came within a day too - very pleased.

In the email that they sent, the advice was not to put the dogs name (in case of theft, the dog will answer) Put a mobile number that someone will answer and a surname (of the owner). Also put 'I am micro-chipped', if the dog is!

I think the microchip details would be scanned anyway.

ShakeWellBeforeOpening Wed 06-Feb-13 13:22:44

I have put my mobile , postcode and house number.

lulu2 Wed 06-Feb-13 13:25:23

Thanks for the help.

LovesGSD Wed 06-Feb-13 13:35:45

I have mobile number, 1st line of address and 'microchipped'

SillyTilly123 Wed 06-Feb-13 14:52:08

Oh i didn't realise you weren't meant to put names on it! I've got dogs name, address and phone number. Also i got the tag before she was chipped...will have to get another one.

This is the one I used, as I said, they contact you via email and ask which colour you require and what wording (plus advice ref said wording). I used standard delivery but it arrived the next day!

Although, there's lots to choose from I see.

www.amazon.co.uk/Personalised-Engraved-Stainless-Steel-Design/dp/B004Q55ISE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1360164831&sr=8-4

topbannana Wed 06-Feb-13 16:26:29

Name: may make theft easier. May help calm the dog if it is lost or involved in an accident. Personally I always put the name on, more out of habit than conscious decision.
Address: not necessary.
Phone no: put mobile no. on. If you are out desperately searching for your beloved, a kindly person could be ringing your house phone to let you know they have him/ her <bitter experience>
Microchip: mine always have a small tinkly tag from the vet when they are done, though its a few years since I had a chip done so maybe not anymore.
Vets no: a good idea IMO

Mooycow Wed 06-Feb-13 16:28:31

House number and post code and mobile number
We have a separate disc that says" im chipped scan me"

Floralnomad Wed 06-Feb-13 16:31:14

Battersea do nice ones and they last quite a long time . We've got surname , house number , postcode and a phone number on ours .

SpicyPear Wed 06-Feb-13 20:19:05

By law (control of dogs act 1992) you must put your name and address on it. Anything else is optional.

I do name, house no, postcode, mobile as a minimum. Not dog name.

As well as "microchipped" some people put "neutered" if applicable to discourage theft.

SpicyPear Wed 06-Feb-13 20:28:12

Apologies, it's an Order not an Act. But still the law smile

Ok I am illegal!! I will take my chances I think!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now