Are you a Greyhound, Whippet or Lurcher owner? Come and have a seat on the newest Pointy Hounds cushion!

(993 Posts)
TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersWife Sun 03-Feb-13 22:15:26

Pointy hounds include-
Greyhounds (Grunds)
Whippets (Whippys)
Lurchers
Italian Greyhounds (Iggys)
Salukis
Afghans
And any others I have forgotten. If you are a new pointy hound owner, an old and experienced owner or looking into getting one of these fabulous creatures, come and have a seat (that's not taken up with a hound).

Share advice, stories and shopping tips!
AK Creations
GRWE shop
Our very own Scuttle's Milgi coats
Silver Peacock

Jake
I didn’t really want you,
I wasn’t really sure,
And I’ll admit I had my doubts,
When you first came through that door.

Not small, or cute, or fluffy,
With big, soft puppy eyes,
But tall, and thin, and bony,
With bald, pink, bulging thighs.

You weren’t the kind I had in mind,
Not in any way,
“Perhaps it would be better if I took you back today,
Before we know each other,
It really won’t be kind,
To keep you here for one more day,
And then to change my mind.”

But against my better judgement, I decided you could stay,
And quickly I discovered you were kind in every way,
Your gentleness and patience, they really stole the show,
“Why these dogs are wonderful, I must let others know!”

For you’re my gentle giant,
Who just needed the chance,
To show us all what you could be,
To wipe away that history,
And dispel our preconceptions, which put us all to shame,
And so we come to know and love,
What lies beneath that frame.

And now I’ve come to understand,
What I missed right at the start,
That greyhounds need that great deep chest,
To house their great big hearts!
By Denise Dubarbier
smile

LegoAcupuncture Tue 07-May-13 13:32:21

Urgh, it's no working!

LegoAcupuncture Tue 07-May-13 13:35:31

Aha! Should work now. Picture on profile.

Got my wristband in the post today for the Great British Greyhound Walk on 23rd June. Anyone else doing it?

Hoping to do it with Celia Cross again, as we did the last two years smile
Never had a wristband though??

moosemama Tue 07-May-13 17:11:09

Lego she is gorgeous. My dcs - and my Mum - absolutely melted when I clicked on your profile.

Speaking of my dcs, they are waging an all out campaign to get me to adopt Ellie from LL. I have explained that we aren't ready and won't be for almost another two months, so there's no way it's happening, but the pleading and eyelash fluttering is beyond belief!

I just showed them lots of different rescue sites to prove my point that they would fall in love with at least a handful of dogs on every single site. They did - but they still want Ellie. hmm

Oh - I have just been informed that it's apparently Ellie or Wilma. hmm grin

At least we seem to be all on one page about wanting a black pointy hound of some sort. Even dh is now talking about 'when we get the new pup' rather than 'if'. To quote a famous tv character and give away my age "I just love it when a plan come together!"

Lurcher boy didn't do too badly while I was out today, just one little puddle of drool, but he was doing that before I went out after coming back from his walk absolutely exhausted. I have no clue if he howled though - any ideas on how to check that - besides asking the neighbours - would be gratefully received.

LegoAcupuncture Tue 07-May-13 17:32:24

Thank you Moose, she was 5 weeks in that photo, so a bit bigger now. Her favourite toy ATM is a piece of rope she managed to unravel out of her seeing of sausages.

Ant wait to take her for walks.

I must admit I too have a softspot for the black dogs (and cats too), can't understand why they don't appeal to people I think they are gorgeous! I have a black cat and a fawn GH. Greyhound being cat and kid friendly was more important than what colour.

Lego she is gorgeous! Is it usual to get one so young? Don't have much experience of pups. smile

Moosemama that's it there are so many adorable pointies needing homes there will always be a dozen one you would become taken with. I try not to look as mine has been homed with the knowledge she'd prefer to be an only dog.

LegoAcupuncture Wed 08-May-13 09:35:33

I also have two black cats. I love black animals.

I didn't get her when she was 5 weeks, the picture was emailed to me from the breeder. We had been visiting her from her being 2 weeks old and couldn't make it that week so were emailed a picture.

mistlethrush Wed 08-May-13 10:51:13

When we decided to get mistledog we expected to get a black dog (with ginger eyebrows) but ended up with a tan one instead. With mistlehound we didn't care what colour we ended up with - it was the character of the dog that mattered. Mistlehound is a slightly scruffier, longer nosed version of mistledog, certainly in terms of colouring - although she doesn't have such wonderful black eyeliner like mistledog had.

I am finding it very remarkable - mistledog shed for England - at this time of year I would take handfuls of coat out every day. Mistlehound gets zoom groomed once a week ish - and that gets some long and short out - and that's it... There are a few hairs around the house, but its nothing like as bad as mistledog. She also looks 'peculiar' when she's been groomed with all her scruff all nice and neat, but it only lasts about 20secs until she has a good shake then its back to her 'really expensive hair do' look again grin.

We took her to Clumber Park on Mon - long story why which I won't bore you with - it was absolutely packed. Mistlehound was in her harness on a lead rather than slip lead as I knew she would have to be on all the time. It gave me great satisfaction to have her padding along beside me with the lead slack as we passed dogs of all shapes and sizes straining at their leads... blush

moosemama Wed 08-May-13 15:59:13

I feel the same about it being the character of the dog that matters, but am finding myself weighed down with guilt for going for a pup/youngster instead of an older dog and also worry about all the black dogs that are constantly overlooked in rescues. I honestly tie myself up in knots trying to do the right thing by everyone, even though I know you can't please all of the people ... etc

Mistlehound's fur sounds similar to lurcherboy's. I always think he looks really odd when he's been groomed and is all sleek and slinky looking, but as you said - it doesn't last long.

I love Clumber Park, haven't been for years, but used to go there for walks with our first ever dogs. We were planning a big birthday meet-up picnic there last summer, with friends from all over the country, but I was ill and it was a washout - so it ended up being cancelled. Am thinking of trying again this June and considering camping there as well sometime.

Well, I went out for an again hour this afternoon and managed to spend a fortune on clothes for dd that I then had to fess up to dh about and lurcherboy was curled up in his bed when I got back. (I left the tv on in the living room when I went out, so I could sneak back in without him hearing me and see what he was up to.) There were a couple of tiny drops of drool by the kitchen door, but he seemed relaxed and sleepy, so fingers-crossed, he is starting to get used to being on his own.

On a less positive note, we went for a very wet walk this morning and he slipped on surface water whilst careering round the middle of the field like a loon. He seems a bit stiff on his nearside hind now, so will have to keep an eye on him.

TheCunnyFunt Wed 08-May-13 19:18:20

Blimey there's a fair bit to catch up on! Will do it later.

I'm gutted sad we're going on holiday later this year and BIL booked it yesterday, 22nd September we're going. GGG is on the 21st, I'll be able to go to that, but Sprocket probably won't sad he'll be going to his foster family while we're away. DP just doesn't understand why it's a big deal, he said 'But why do you have to take a dog to a dog show?' well I can't exactly show a dog that I haven't got can I? And it's ridiculous going to a Greyhound gathering without my Greyhound!!

MagratGarlik Wed 08-May-13 19:45:05

Aww, Cunny, I'll lend you a dog for it! We're planning on going to the GGG, even if it does give Woody 'short dog complex'.

TheCunnyFunt Wed 08-May-13 20:00:18

Thanks grin I'll bring some stilts for Woody grin

We'll be taking at least two dogs - probably the two girls to join us on the Milgi stand. You're very welcome to have one if you are Sprock-less.

MagratGarlik Thu 09-May-13 08:25:55

Stilts for Woody might be good, Cunny grin.

MagratGarlik Thu 09-May-13 08:55:14

Has anyone else seen the twat who is advertising their Labrador pup in the doghouse?

Grrrr. It makes me so mad.

moosemama Thu 09-May-13 09:37:32

Just came online and went to report it and it went poof. I honestly couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it. angry

moosemama Thu 09-May-13 09:49:02

Dd is being so cute this morning, she has set up a rescue centre in the living room with all her millions of cuddly toy dogs.

There's a huge dog bed made out of all my cushions and every single blanket she could find and the dogs are taking it in turns to have a healthcheck, vaccinations, any medicine/treatment they might need - all courtesy of her toy medical kit (one has a poorly paw and another an ear infection, apparently) and then some training, followed by a walk and finally a groom.

Lurcherboy thought his luck was in and commandeered the bed for himself - poor dd didn't know what to do with herself, because - after all - it is a dog bed, but then her dogs don't shed clouds of fur - or let of noxious emmissions. grin

She wants some of lurcherboy's liver and garlic treats for them - but I fear that could end in tears!

She is now telling me why we mustn't throw sticks for dogs to chase. grin

I am also in her bad books this morning, because I am not taking lurcherboy out until she goes to school this afternoon. On every walk this week she has been another dog. I have had to train her, give her lots of head scratches and pretend to give her treats. She's not at all impressed that her doggy alter-ego is missing out on a run over the fields this afternoon. grin

MagratGarlik Thu 09-May-13 10:34:58

Unfortunately idiots like that probably don't care if the thread is deleted, so long as it was up long enough for some moron to see it and contact the seller.... There will probably be a thread on here in a few weeks from someone having recently bought a Labrador pup who now has health or other problems angry.

So sweet though with your DD. Our whippy tends to steal the ds's soft toys. He doesn't destroy them, he just cuddles them. The latest is a big cuddly spider.

mistlethrush Thu 09-May-13 12:02:43

Mistlehounds soft squeaky toys get groomed as well as thrown around the place - I'm really surprised how well they are lasting, having had some toy destroyers in the past that would have demolished them in 5 mins.

She's starting to get the hang of the fact that if she brings a 'toy' back to near you and stops playing with it and puts it on the ground, you might throw / kick it for her again - you never know, in a couple of years we might have mastered the 'fetch' ! grin

MagratGarlik Thu 09-May-13 12:18:24

Whippy chases his toys when you throw them for him, throws them in the air, shakes them and then stands next to them giving you a look like, "what do I look like a retriever" grin.

mistlethrush Thu 09-May-13 12:22:49

Mistlehound rushes off after anything you throw for her, then races around playing with it for 5 mins before collapsing in a heap, looking at you then the item, clearly expecting you to walk (out of your way) over to her to throw it again... She is great at the playing though - her throwing skills are amazing, and she's also quite skilled with the 'two-front-pawed-push' at speed which can send balls flying again....

moosemama Thu 09-May-13 13:52:48

Hmm, think a trip to the vets may be in order.

Lurcherboy was stiff yesterday after slipping on standing water in the park when he was careering around. (He lost it taking a tight corner.)

He seemed OK again this morning, so decided to take him over the fields for a good long romp once dd was in school.

Didn't go according to plan. First of all there was a virtual hurricane blowing and he wasn't too impressed with that, so I decided we wouldn't stay as long as planned. Chucked his ball for him a few times and he seemed keen to run out, but then each time walked instead of ran back to me (he does retrieve and absolutely loves it). Then after half a dozen throws he came halfway back and lay down. Decided to cut it short then and took him home and he was really slow all the way back on the lead.

From watching him move, I think I was either wrong yesterday, or there's more to it than I though. I do think he was stiff on his nearside hind last night, but today that seems ok. I think it's his nearside foreleg and he wasn't not limping on it exactly, just stiff and dropping his shoulder slightly. I kept adjusting his harness when we were out at first, because I thought it was annoying him on that side.

Then after we'd been home for about half an hour, he went to get up from lying on the living room floor to come for a fuss and he couldn't pull himself up. Again, it looked like his nearside shoulder might be the problem. He did get up, but it was a bit of a struggle and once he was up he seemed ok again. confused

moosemama Thu 09-May-13 14:54:25

Okaay, almost as soon as I typed that last post my Mum turned up. Lurcherboy leaped up off his bed to say hello, then jumped the dog-gate into the kitchen without so much as a flinch. (He does this regularly in both directions, I'd day there is no point in having the gate there really, except he won't jump it if I specifically tell him not to.)

He seems fine again now. confused

mistlethrush Fri 10-May-13 09:27:54

Our first lurchery dog could jump a 5 bar gate without thinking, from standing next to it, if told to, but wouldn't go over our 3' wrought iron gate on the drive... and in fact wouldn't go past where it would be if it was closed unless asked grin

How old is lurcherboy as our collie cross had to have glucosamine chondroitin to help with arthritis from about aged 8.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now