Are you a Greyhound, Whippet or Lurcher owner? Come and have a seat on the newest Pointy Hounds cushion!

(995 Posts)
TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersWife Sun 03-Feb-13 22:15:26

Pointy hounds include-
Greyhounds (Grunds)
Whippets (Whippys)
Lurchers
Italian Greyhounds (Iggys)
Salukis
Afghans
And any others I have forgotten. If you are a new pointy hound owner, an old and experienced owner or looking into getting one of these fabulous creatures, come and have a seat (that's not taken up with a hound).

Share advice, stories and shopping tips!
AK Creations
GRWE shop
Our very own Scuttle's Milgi coats
Silver Peacock

Jake
I didn’t really want you,
I wasn’t really sure,
And I’ll admit I had my doubts,
When you first came through that door.

Not small, or cute, or fluffy,
With big, soft puppy eyes,
But tall, and thin, and bony,
With bald, pink, bulging thighs.

You weren’t the kind I had in mind,
Not in any way,
“Perhaps it would be better if I took you back today,
Before we know each other,
It really won’t be kind,
To keep you here for one more day,
And then to change my mind.”

But against my better judgement, I decided you could stay,
And quickly I discovered you were kind in every way,
Your gentleness and patience, they really stole the show,
“Why these dogs are wonderful, I must let others know!”

For you’re my gentle giant,
Who just needed the chance,
To show us all what you could be,
To wipe away that history,
And dispel our preconceptions, which put us all to shame,
And so we come to know and love,
What lies beneath that frame.

And now I’ve come to understand,
What I missed right at the start,
That greyhounds need that great deep chest,
To house their great big hearts!
By Denise Dubarbier
smile

Marvellous news, Betsey, and so glad to hear that Billy is now healing well. My only concern is that like others, I'd say it's completely normal for the bitch to be top dog - this has always been the case with us, both with our dear old Bootie, and now with the two girls we've got in, and is the norm with all the friends/volunteers I know. All the boys are very happy to defer to the girls and this is absolutely standard with mixed sex pairings.

I'm a bit worried by all the "rank reduction" advice you're being given too - hope you are not being advised to be the pack leader. sad If things are so bad she is continually biting Billy and needing to be muzzled all the time, I'd be rethinking it urgently. A few "handbags at dawn" moments are natural in the first few days but this sounds a little more serious? If they don't get on, it is NOT a reflection on either you or Billy, just something that sometimes happens. We once had a foster like that - WW3 - after less than 48 hrs she was back in kennel and much happier - I'd been feeling like the UN peacekeeping force.

Sending you all lots of peaceful vibes smile

mistlethrush Wed 24-Apr-13 12:11:12

Mistlehound got really stressed last night - first time for months. It was because we had a couple of hedgehogs in the garden. Initially at the frantic barking I went down with a torch to find out what was happening - she showed me there was one here and one there - and one here and one there and one here and one there and OOOOOHHHH this one's moved!!! and the other's still there, look - AND ITS MOVED AGAIN!!! LLLLLLOOOOOOOOKKKK its down here now!!. But the other one's not moved. How come this one's moved and that one hasn't. Its still here.... and that one's still there..... She couldn't concentrate on what she was supposed to be doing and came in and found it difficult to settle and was panting... then didn't manage to perform when I took her out an hour later, but made it through the night OK - and tentatively went out to see if they were gone. I think it was the fact that they weren't running away out of the garden that really got her.

MissBetseyTrotwood Wed 24-Apr-13 20:29:13

Argh, just typed a really long update.

In short, all is much better.

She's adorable. And seeming to calm down a lot. And Billy's taking it all in his big stride.

Thanks all x

MissBetseyTrotwood Wed 24-Apr-13 20:45:51

And I should add. She spent an enjoyable few minutes licking herself in the mirror this afternoon. Then looking behind it for the friendly kissy dog. smile

And they spent their time together unmuzzled all day today and there have been no scraps. Even a few hours together alone while DH and I were both at work.

She met her public with great enjoyment today. Billy is taking his role as elder statesman very seriously indeed.

MrSlant Wed 24-Apr-13 20:52:15

grin

CMOTDibbler Wed 24-Apr-13 20:56:36

grin at the mirror licking

MagratGarlik Wed 24-Apr-13 21:00:59

Awww, how lovely. I bet they get loads of comments too.

grin

All sounds fantastic Betsey, am so pleased!!

Awww, this is lovely. smile

TheCunnyFunt Thu 25-Apr-13 19:18:24

I really laughed at the mirror licking grin so pleased they're getting on now smile

And yy to girls being in charge! While I was at Scuttles I witnessed this first hand. Andy is so big you look at him and think 'Yeah he's the big boss man!' but no, not the case at all. My jaw hit the floor when he wandered too close to Callie (darling little Callie who you just know would never hurt a fly) in her bed and she growled at him shock twice!!

grin grin at mistlehound and the hedgehogs grin bless her.

MissBetseyTrotwood Thu 25-Apr-13 20:49:55

Ah, that's good that sweet Callie does it too!

We've had a few growls from little Roxy and Billy got a full on handbagging yesterday very late evening, but otherwise all fine and she's had no more chomps. She's been out on the street again this afternoon/evening and loving all the attention! We're still not 100% yet but each day makes us a little more sure.

The hedgehogs tickled me too.

Sprocket must be very pleased to be home Cunny!

MagratGarlik Thu 25-Apr-13 21:01:04

When do we get pictures, Betsey?

TheCunnyFunt Thu 25-Apr-13 21:14:11

grin <arf> at 'full on handbagging' grin

<Taps fingers impatiently. >
Yes, Betsey, there's a distinct absence of pics.
< Looks sternly at Betsey>

MissBetseyTrotwood Thu 25-Apr-13 22:13:05

Soon... soon... wink

Hi all, I have a thread here about ShyDog and DS, would appreciate any help.

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/the_doghouse/1741685-How-can-I-help-new-GH-to-relax-around-DS

Hi all, I have a thread here about ShyDog and DS, would appreciate any help.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/the_doghouse/1741685-How-can-I-help-new-GH-to-relax-around-DS

Your hand, I've already posted on that. I'm sorry you are having a difficult time.

Just seen, have replied and have inboxed you. I wouldn't say we are having a difficult time, more just that I feel for ShyDog being so nervous and wondered if anyone else had had the same or had any tips.

Does those DAP plug ins work? Don't know whether they are worth a try or not?

mistlethrush Fri 26-Apr-13 14:59:45

We got one for Mistlehound as it was such a big change for her - and it was fireworks - and we were trying to housetrain her (aged 2 ish) - I think that it probably did help, although it is a bit difficult to tell. You can get it as a liquid that you can dab onto a bandana too.

MagratGarlik Fri 26-Apr-13 18:16:50

We had a dap collar for Jessie when she first arrived. Difficult to say whether it worked as we don't know how she would have been without iyswim.

Jessie snarled at ds2 once and even though she is more confident with the boys now, we keep a close eye on them. We also never allow the boots to approach her, she must come to them, so if they want to fuss her, they call her to them. It took a long time for her to realize she would get nice stuff (liver cake) when they called. She is never allowed to sleep or lie down anywhere other than her bed because as she starts to fall asleep she does get sleep aggressive.

She does now enjoy going to the boys and sniffling them and always wants to take them to bed in the evening and wake them up in the morning. Ds1 also now feeds the dogs (under supervision) in the evening and so he has gained a new level of interest for her.

I would think very carefully about Scuttle's excellent advice on the other thread. You need your dog to be a good match with your family, or long term it will be stressful all round.

MagratGarlik Fri 26-Apr-13 18:17:35

*boys not boots.

MissBetseyTrotwood Fri 26-Apr-13 20:45:03

Right, remind me someone it's normal for the girls to be dominant. Poor old Billy is being ruled by Roxy.

1. She growls when she wants in when Billy's being fussed.
2. She pushes past him to be first with everything.
3. Although they have their own beds in the kitchen, he's not allowed to lie on one if she's in the kitchen too. She just chases him off. I miss my boy!

He's just intent on taking himself off for a quiet life! His only sanctuary is his sheepskin on the sofa, which she doesn't seem to be interested in and his bed in our room (next to hers). He can't decide which is his at the mo though and they seem to swap around a lot.

I think this behaviour is her insecurity at being in a new place. Once she knows she's (probably!!!) staying and settles down, might it abate a bit? Billy just looks so henpecked.

Also, she's rather too interested in DS2 when he does his R2D2 squeaky noise. Very curious, ear pricky and sniffy. He is an old hand at pushing her off with a big 'uh uh' but I still don't completely trust her. We don't leave the kids on their own with the dogs anyway but I'm keeping a very, very sharp eye on her with that one.

She is lovely though. grin

MissBetseyTrotwood Fri 26-Apr-13 20:46:13

And I've posted on your thread YourHand . Like Scuttle , I am sorry things are hard with your dog right now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now