Are you a Greyhound, Whippet or Lurcher owner? Come and have a seat on the newest Pointy Hounds cushion!

(995 Posts)
TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersWife Sun 03-Feb-13 22:15:26

Pointy hounds include-
Greyhounds (Grunds)
Whippets (Whippys)
Lurchers
Italian Greyhounds (Iggys)
Salukis
Afghans
And any others I have forgotten. If you are a new pointy hound owner, an old and experienced owner or looking into getting one of these fabulous creatures, come and have a seat (that's not taken up with a hound).

Share advice, stories and shopping tips!
AK Creations
GRWE shop
Our very own Scuttle's Milgi coats
Silver Peacock

Jake
I didn’t really want you,
I wasn’t really sure,
And I’ll admit I had my doubts,
When you first came through that door.

Not small, or cute, or fluffy,
With big, soft puppy eyes,
But tall, and thin, and bony,
With bald, pink, bulging thighs.

You weren’t the kind I had in mind,
Not in any way,
“Perhaps it would be better if I took you back today,
Before we know each other,
It really won’t be kind,
To keep you here for one more day,
And then to change my mind.”

But against my better judgement, I decided you could stay,
And quickly I discovered you were kind in every way,
Your gentleness and patience, they really stole the show,
“Why these dogs are wonderful, I must let others know!”

For you’re my gentle giant,
Who just needed the chance,
To show us all what you could be,
To wipe away that history,
And dispel our preconceptions, which put us all to shame,
And so we come to know and love,
What lies beneath that frame.

And now I’ve come to understand,
What I missed right at the start,
That greyhounds need that great deep chest,
To house their great big hearts!
By Denise Dubarbier
smile

MissBetseyTrotwood Sat 23-Mar-13 22:15:49

How disappointing for her - fingers crossed for the 21st! It would have been mighty uncomfortable up there today. Perhaps she'll have some spring sunshine for round 2!

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersFiancee Mon 25-Mar-13 14:28:44

Llama trekking? That sounds awesome! Sam sounds like he's taken to raw like a duck to water, how fantastic that he hasn't had steroids since August!?! You must be dead chuffed smile

Betsey poor Billy, he doesn't have much luck does he? I hope it clears up soon. How are his wounds healing?

MissBetseyTrotwood Mon 25-Mar-13 16:14:20

I know Cunny. We had about a year with him when it was all pretty straightforward and since about last summer it's just been one thing after another!

Betsey, we had all our issues with Sam in the first year, his tummy problems, then an abcess, then the harmless tumour on his stomach.
This year has been better so far but I am so anxious now I fear another disaster is just around the corner...
Dogs, who'd have em??

Hello wise people I'm new here and have a newly acquired whippty x she really needs a good run but is so used to city parks with other dogs about that she'll only run if she can find a playmate. I feel like a stalker trying to find other dog walkers! She took a bit of an interest in some rabbit burrows today so hoping maybe finding some rabbits might work. Any other ideas to get her running?

MrSlant Mon 25-Mar-13 21:45:07

I've managed to get my whippy boy to chase a ball thrown from one of those wangy ball thrower things and he loves it. Took a while to master but then I think it's pretty much Mensa level for a whippet ;-)

Had a bone scan today for my crappy back/pelvis, I'm not supposed to cuddle the children but what about my precious baby dog? I'm being mean and not letting him cuddle up at the moment as they said any child that is still growing is not allowed too near and I figured he's only 16 months so that's quite young (and yes, yes I am pfb about my lovely boy and I don't care!)

<waves at everyone, sorry, not often in the mood for chat at the moment, Dbil still deeply unconscious, it's so horrid>

MrSlant Mon 25-Mar-13 21:51:10

Cunny I hope your brothers x-ray stuff went ok, that's my job! Would have been fascinating to see where the food was getting through. Fingers crossed for all better and home for good soon.

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersFiancee Tue 26-Mar-13 18:50:27

Welcome Fairy! Iirc you've said hello on here before haven't you? Maybe you could find somehwere that does Lure coursing and take her to do that? Mistle on this cushion takes her dog Lurcher racing, you could PM her to ask her about it.

MrS you're not allowed to cuddle anyone who's still growing? How odd.

My brother hasn't yet had his eating x-ray, he's not having an eating test until Thursday (!) and they may not even x-ray him then!

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersFiancee Tue 26-Mar-13 18:59:29

Sounds like an interesting job, being a person who does x-rays (radiographer?).

Sorry to hear your BIL is still unconcious, is there any improvement or is he the same?

CMOTDibbler Tue 26-Mar-13 19:59:42

Fairy, have you tried things like frisbees or squeaky balls? Mine likes to run round madly squeaking away with his, then occasionally returning for a throw. He likes a wanged normal ball too, but its too much stress on my arm

You should be fine to dog cuddle by now MrSlant - the half life is very short on the bone scan isotopes.Sounds like you could do with the cuddles

MrSlant Tue 26-Mar-13 20:39:11

CMOT needed you last night! Half life's 6 hours I think so lots of cuddles this evening. <adjusts her venn diagram to include physics geeks who like pointy hounds and Terry Pratchett> I had the scan in an evening session so there was no hugging of children last night, I didn't hug the dog either as I figured as he appears to still be growing I would sit in splendid isolation wink.

Yes radiography is an ace job, it's fascinating, everyone is different so even though things should be standard you constantly have to change how you work and work out how to gain someones trust in seconds. I think I would have made a great con man! (My father is an Estate Agent though so I think it's genetic wink) Bil has started to move his limbs a bit but it's very hard to know if it is due to him or just his brain firing off randomly due to the swelling going down.

Found a hotel near Bil's hospital that will take dogs so we are all off on a mini break next week!

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersFiancee Tue 26-Mar-13 20:58:25

Oh she might like the rabbit ball she's taken a liking to a rubber ball, and she liked her frisbee the other day but not has gone off it.

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersFiancee Tue 26-Mar-13 21:12:59

I suppose you can't really get too excited about him moving can you? We did that with David when his eyes opened, turned out it was just reflex actions he was doing when he was having his teeth brushed!
Fingers crossed the movement is due to him though.
It's good that you found a dog friendly hotel nearby, ime no comfort is as good as the comfort a dog can give smile I really needed and missed my Sprocket cuddles when he was away.

MrSlant Tue 26-Mar-13 21:25:18

I know, I had considered getting him fostered for a bit as he is getting clingy after four weekends of being passed around friends but I am too selfish to do without him! If the hotel thing works out then it's brilliant and in the summer we can camp quite close to the hospital so he can come with us no problem then. You were so brave and grown up (sorry if that seems condescending but this is the first time in my life I have felt like I'm actually acting like a proper adult) sending Sprocket to his foster family, I'm so glad it worked out well for you. Nurses can be ace can't they, I love that they clean teeth and shave Bil, one day we went in and they told me they'd given him a mini facial so if he looked a bit glossy it wasn't sweat it was moisturizer!

mistlethrush Wed 27-Mar-13 09:04:40

Our dog loves the ball wangy things - she'll have a go at that if you're not throwing the ball for her. Trouble is that she's not got the concept of 'fetch' sorted. So you throw the ball and she bombs after it happily, then stays approximately where the ball landed, throws it up in the air, pounces on it, then sees another dog going after their ball, drops hers and races off after that one instead, leaving her ball in splendid isolation miles away from where you are standing.

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersFiancee Wed 27-Mar-13 09:59:55

I know what you mean MrS, although tbh I didn't have a choice. I don't know anyone who would've been able to take him. It turned out great in the end though because Sprocket now has his own set of Grundparents who adore him and are adamant that they'll be his next home if ever we can no longer keep him!

Yy to the nurses, the level of care is just fantastic. Even to visiting family! My mum and sister saw in the new year at his bedside and at midnight the nurses handed out Schloer. My sisters DH sat with him one night from 3am till around 9.30am and at 8 they brought him some tea and toast! The best thing was how they washed his hair in Manchester, they had these special shower caps, they microwaved them, put it on his head for 15 mins and when they took it off his hair was clean! I have got to get me some of them grin

MrSlant Wed 27-Mar-13 11:15:32

mistle I think my dog is just trying to make me get a good bit of exercise too when he does that! We have about 75% bringing the ball back after some intensive work and a lot of sausage this week. I think I'd forgotten how effective rewarding good behaviour is and he even stopped chasing another dog's ball today shock when I called him back.

I want one of those shower caps!

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersFiancee Fri 29-Mar-13 14:18:07

David is out again, he came out yesterday almost straight after his eating test! I've just seen my grandma who told me more about Davids release, turns out he was let out straight away because he can't actually eat shock he's been given a supply of bagged food, enough to last 28 days. He still has his feeding tube in hanging out his nose!

EddieVeddersfoxymop Fri 29-Mar-13 20:24:36

Hello, we're in the process of finding out about rehoming a retired greyhound....we have a home check on sunday and I'm terribly nervous about it!! Its a local rescue coming out to assess us as we have 2 cats and a 5 year old child...any advice? Argh I feel like I'm about to sit an exam or something!!! grin

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersFiancee Fri 29-Mar-13 23:55:32

Welcome Eddie smile how exciting for you! Don't worry about the homecheck, I felt exactly like you, I was so nervous and positive we would fail! I needn't have worried, the people that came were lovely, all it was, was a chat about greyhounds and a few questions asking if we knew what we were letting ourselves in for etc. I do feel that my local rescue are a bit lax with the HCs though, they didn't look at the garden or where the dog would sleep/eat which I've heard that some rescues do!

I hope it all goes well for you, and feel free to ask as many questions as you like smile

EddieVeddersfoxymop Sat 30-Mar-13 17:27:50

I am nervous!!! Worried that they might say no.......nervous cat, bitey cat and a 5 year old may all conspire against us! We know we'd love and look after a hound but its convincing them....eek!

MrSlant Sat 30-Mar-13 20:32:34

Aw, I entered a photomarathon and took a photo of whippy boy snuggling on my bed and won the 'gentle' category with it, so chuffed grin.

They'll be on your side Eddie don't worry. Scuttle is our expert on here but she told me they will probably check you know what you are getting into re insurance, not leaving the dog for long times etc, she'll probably be along soon and fill you in. How exciting for you, I'd love to rehome a greyhound, I'm just waiting until the children leave home so I have some sofa space. Oh and welcome to the cushion!

Cunny how fantastic your brother is home, it must be wonderful for your family (and be saving you a fortune in parking charges at the hospital!)

MrSlant Sat 30-Mar-13 20:34:07

They will find a dog to suit you btw, there are cat friendly, child friendly hounds out there just waiting for a forever home. We were being considered for a rescue whippet with 3 children in the house.

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersFiancee Sat 30-Mar-13 21:01:00

Yy MrS, we must've spent a fortune with petrol, parking and food. We were all joking that we'd present him with a bill for it all grin including the cost of all of his treatment. All of it, altogether (medical bills, our expenses etc) must come to around £250-£300k at least shock

Eddie although we don't have a cat, we have a toddler. She was 5mo when we had our homecheck, and 7.5mo when we eventually got Sprocket and she's now 21mo. It will be fine, don't worry smile there is a greyhound out there for you, possibly still living in a racing kennels dreaming of your sofa. . . .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now