Advocate- how often?

(17 Posts)
PeppaPigStinks Sun 03-Feb-13 18:41:06

Hi
I was just wondering how often you need to advocate? I've lost the instructions!!

4 weekly.

beachyhead Sun 03-Feb-13 19:41:28

I do every month in the tic season, about every six weeks in winter... That's not official advicegrin

portraitoftheartist Sun 03-Feb-13 20:34:14

I wait until I suspect fleas, so about twice yearly. It's hideously expensive and I don't want to dose them with nasty poisons and it makes such a mess on their hair.

peckforton Sun 03-Feb-13 20:58:04

I also only do my dog and cats a couple of times a year or whenever I suspect anyone of them has fleas.

I use it primarily as a wormer with the defleaing aspect as a bonus (I have a slug eater!) so I wouldn't dare mess with recommended dosing in case he wasn't protected.

LostInWales Sun 03-Feb-13 21:57:47

My dog shaped dustbin has it monthly with a different wormer that covers the bits advocate misses every 3 months.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 03-Feb-13 22:19:19

Beachy advocate doesn't work for ticks.

ShakeWellBeforeOpening Tue 05-Feb-13 19:19:45

monthly and worming tablets every 3 months as I too have a dog shaped dustbin !

Floralnomad Tue 05-Feb-13 19:24:58

I thought it worked for tics , what else am I supposed to use ? I advocate every 4/5 weeks and then Drontal or Milbemax every 3 months as well ( not at the same time) .

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 05-Feb-13 21:48:19

Either Advantix or a Seresto collar for ticks. The best solution to do roundworms, protect against lungworm and ticks is to do Advocate every 4 weeks year round and pop a Seresto collar on from April to November (1collar lasts 8months). One day there will be the magic bullet one drug, but not yet.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 05-Feb-13 21:56:38

Oh yes if you Advocate every 4 weeks you only need Drontal or Milbemax once every 6 months unless your dog is eating lots of rodents then it should be three monthly.

Floralnomad Wed 06-Feb-13 09:59:04

Sorry to keep picking your brains lonecat ,but is it ok to have a seresto collar on and still do Advocate or would you be overdosing with something . Also are the seresto collars one size fit all or do they go on weight . My terrier is 12-13 kg.

beachyhead Wed 06-Feb-13 13:36:53

Sorry, using generic term. I Prac-tic for Ticks and fleas every month in the season and every couple of months out of season and I Drontal for my worms, every three months...

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 06-Feb-13 19:58:27

Yes you can use seresto and Advocate together. seresto collars come in two sizes less than 8kg and greater than 8kg.
Beachy you won't be getting any lungworm cover with Practic and three monthly Drontal may not be sufficient.
For those who don't know lungworm is a bastard killing dogs up and down the UK it causes everything from diarrhoea to heart failure and many, many things in between. Ultimately unless caught early the dogs develop fatal clotting disorders.

Floralnomad Wed 06-Feb-13 21:06:19

Thanks , will get one ready for April.

PeppaPigStinks Thu 07-Feb-13 10:05:15

Thanks everyone! I use it for the worming element as have kids around lots. Will also get a seperate wormer and do every three months!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now