Does anyone remember my quest for another dog?

(91 Posts)
MrsDeVere Sat 02-Feb-13 14:52:21

Just had my home check done today.
Doggie due to arrive next Saturday (touch wood)

Squeeeeee!

It's too much hard work. Honestly.
And ds1 best friend managed to hack the school twitter, Facebook and school website last week. He posted that it was the wrong week, non school uniform day, all exams were cancelled and school closing at 1pm every day.

FB privacy settings would be nothing compared to him grin

LadyTurmoil Sat 02-Feb-13 18:43:20

Slummy which doggie did you get from Romania? I look at their page frequently on FB and actual website so I might remember - just being nosy! Great news for both of you - more pictures please... smile

Iamaslummymummy Sat 02-Feb-13 18:53:53

I am Mrs d. I've just put a pic on the main aaa page. We have adopted Apollo. Lovely black and white cross breed (some lab and some collie in there somewhere. Also has a lovely curly tail!

gymmummy64 Sat 02-Feb-13 19:03:42

Congratulations MrsDV, your doggy looks absolutely gorgeous! Looking forward to your updates!

Tantrums, that's hysterical shocking, did he get into huge trouble?

<<joins Tantrums in the FB haterz club>>

Can someone link to the Romania adoption website, please? Who knew??
My DB actually brought his dog back from a holiday to Romania shock

He was excluded gymmummy

No doubt he spent the 3 day exclusion hacking into MI5s website grin

Poo and wee stage soon passes.

She looks like there's a bit of Tibetan Terrier about her ears. She is indeed a real Cutey.

onlyoneboot Sat 02-Feb-13 19:31:53

oo, she's gorgeous, very similar colouring to my rommy rescue. Have funsmile

Iamaslummymummy Sat 02-Feb-13 19:39:13

[[ http://www.actionaidforanimals.com action aid for animals]]

Iamaslummymummy Sat 02-Feb-13 19:39:43
LadyTurmoil Sat 02-Feb-13 19:39:56

Apollo and Cutey both look lovely - very good luck with everything grin LOL at the FB haterz but it is great for keeping in touch with friends! I just say no to all my daughter's friends who've asked and that's it...never understand why 13 y/o would want to be my friend anyway confused. Only let my daughter on condition I'd be her friend and be able to check her whenever I asked, she hardly goes on it now anyway.

LadyTurmoil Sat 02-Feb-13 19:42:03

www.facebook.com/groups/actionaidforanimals/ and www.romaniaanimalaid.co.uk/ It's a bit confusing on the FB page 'cos loads of Romanian rescuers put up dogs/cats, asking for help to get them rehomed, but not all appear on the actual website (don't know quite why, think it's just because there's so many sad but FB is prob better for being up to date.

MrsDeVere Sat 02-Feb-13 19:51:28

It is confusing. I had to search for ages today to find that link. There were so many places I had been looking and I had forgotten where it was!

Its all appears a bit chaotic which put me off at first but it seems like organised chaos and the logistics are terrifying!

Lovely people and very friendly and open. I have not had good experiences of rescues in the past. I have re-homed from Battersea and they were monumentally snotty. Others treated me like a fool for wanting a dog when I had children. Others were very hmm because I was quite specific about the sort of dog I wanted. Like it would have been better for me to just take any size, breed, temperament!

Anyway...I will only believe she is here, when she is here!

LadyTurmoil Sat 02-Feb-13 20:07:10

Tantrums I hope your DS1's best friend has already sent his application form to MI5!!

LadyTurmoil Sat 02-Feb-13 20:08:51

onlyoneboot what sort of dog is your Rommie? Big, small, old, young?

issey6cats Sat 02-Feb-13 20:14:14

OMG she is georgous mrs D the roumanian dogs all seem lovely and the rescues that bring them over here do a fantastic job

issey6cats Sat 02-Feb-13 20:15:25

ps wilma the cypriot chi cross i mentioned on the other thread has now got a permanent home to come to she flies over in april when her pups are old enough to be rehomed

Thank you for the link, although having clicked on it has not helped my yearning... sad

onlyoneboot Sat 02-Feb-13 20:48:23

Lady I've put a photo on my profile. She's medium sized and GSD crossed with anyone's guess. I reckon a bit of husky, collie maybe?? She was 18 months when we adopted her from Any Dog'il Do in Edinburgh. She had been found as a tiny pup with a broken leg having been hit by a car and looked after in Romania before they brought her over. They've been brilliant with on going support when I've needed it. She's a sweetheart, very nervous at times but very playful too smile

permaquandry Sat 02-Feb-13 20:57:51

Mrsd, she looks absolutely gorgeous and so like my beautiful old boy. He was from a uk rescue but I aways thought he'd have an Eastern European accent if he could talk.

I want to cuddle her (obvs, after 10 a few baths).

Hope all goes well with the pickup, looking forward to hearing how delightful she is!

LadyTurmoil Sat 02-Feb-13 21:46:10

only She looks gorgeous, does have that "Rommie" look about her. Was it difficult to be confident you were making the right decision when you couldn't meet her beforehand - I look with longing at their website and really fell for a small lab cross, but (apart from bugger of a DH who doesn't like dogs sad) would find it difficult to know if it was THE dog just from a photo and short description... this question to all the new owners!

MrsDeVere Sat 02-Feb-13 22:00:32

You have to take the leap of faith I think.
I said to the nice lady who called me that I could wait and wait for the 'perfect dog' and miss out on the perfect dog while I was waiting.

I knew I wanted a young, small dog.
I suppose ideally I would have a very small, male, 4mth old puppy.
But tbh unless they knew the parentage they would not know how small a dog would become at 4mths and anyway, it will be nice to have another female to keep me company smile
So when they sent me photos of Cutey (or Betty-Whizz (dont ask)) and she met the critea of being small and young, I thought 'lets go for it!'

She has been in a foster home so has some training and we know a bit about her character. I would not have accepted a 'yard' or 'pound' dog if they were over 6mths.

My youngest DC is 2 and I have a 5 year old. My 9 year old has autism. I need to be realistic about the sort of dog we can be a family to.

I really like the way the Rommie dogs are 'proper' mongrels. Like my first dog (as an adult) they are a real mix and you can't really pick out the parentage.

I am so pleased about this, love hearing about a genuine rescue dog. Can you put a photo on your profile when you get time for those of us that don't have Facebook?

onlyoneboot Sat 02-Feb-13 22:21:23

Leap of faith is about right, MrsD, I was just floating the idea around of getting a dog then saw Hope and fell for her. A bit heart over head, I must admit...But I saw loads of photos of her right from when she was first found and a video of her interacting with other dogs and people so I had a fair idea what to expect. It was still a bit nerve wracking. I did look at other local rescue's but it was hard to find a dog that was used to children and cats.

MrsDeVere Sat 02-Feb-13 22:33:36

I will tough. smile

Apparently Betty is used to people coming and going and kids so I am hoping all will be well.
I am expecting a few ups and downs though. The kids are bound to be very excited and will need lots of watching in case they try and crowd her.
I have to be careful they don't get inbetween her and my other dog if there are any spats.

The dogs are little and my two year old is massive so its not like having a baby and a bull mastiff so I am not worried, just being cautious.

I spoke to the home checkers today and was very honest. I have never had to give an animal up and do not intend to but if it all goes horribly wrong I have to be sensible. As Betty is only about 7-8mth old I do not think there should be any serious problems.

This rescue keeps ownership of the dogs so they will always take a dog back. I think that is the mark of a good rescue.

But I am working on the assumption that we will have some weeing, some pooing, some chewing, a few doggie spats and quite a bit of whinging, kids doing my head in and then it all settling down after a few weeks.

So fingers crossed!

Oh and I am fulling expecting my other dog to try his best to wee on my bed. That is how he shows his annoyance!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now