Bastard Dog Club

(247 Posts)

Roll up, roll up! Anyone who has a Bastard Dog sign in here! Does your dog hate other dogs? Does he or she bark, lunge, growl or actually want to eat other canines? Are you regularly stressed, embarassed or rocking in a corner by your Bastard Dog's antics? Then this is your safe zone. Come hither and share your tales of woe, and also hopefully your successes.

Give us some background, thus:

BD breed: Spaniel cross
BD age: 18 months
BD behaviour: Jumps at approaching dogs and tells them to fuck off in a very vocal way.
BD training attempts: We're working on BAT, using tons of treats and actively avoiding interactions.
Frequency of BD incidents: Probably some kind of reaction every month or so, usually my fault.

Now, who's for gin? <profers bottle>

Floralnomad Fri 01-Feb-13 13:20:43

Just checking in quickly as Bastard hound is at the hairdressers having a cut ,wash and blow dry .
Breed X Patterdale
Age. 2.7
Behaviour Fine if everyone else would leave him alone !
Plus points. He is the love of my life ! ( and I do have a husband and children)

Rowgtfc72 Fri 01-Feb-13 13:48:29

BD1 Parson Jack Russell terrier (16 this Aug)
BD2 Jack Russell terrier (11 this April)
BD behaviour Well theyre Terriers arent they, bigger and louder than any other dog. Unsteady aged BD1 has a particular dislike of Rottweillers and German Shepherds. Small fat Jack is not choosy. Haccles up, teeth out.
BD Training attempts They will both sit and give paw but only for food. No recall. Old dog is a rescue dog and never had it, fat jack pleases herself. Old jack barks like crazy if we stop to cross the road. He has a particular dislike of waiting at zebra crossings.
Plus points They keep me and DD entertained. Old jack in his yoof jumped a six foot fence in one leap to have a lick of next doors rabbit. Fat jack can get herself in the stupidest places to nap (second shelf up on the bookcase behind the printer .Dont ask me why. Shes a terrier.

You have no idea how happy all these Bastard Dogs make me <weeps with gratitude>

Masterchuff Fri 01-Feb-13 13:58:16

Ok I'm in! BD is a 3 yo JRTx. She weighs 4kg. She hates anything that moves. Better for DH than for me but a nightmare walking her. Have tried everything onc 1-1 with trainer to no avail. Loves our cats and rabbits and DD but if she's out she'll attempt to eat anything with 4 legs sad

Masterchuff Fri 01-Feb-13 13:59:08

Oh and we had made real headway when seeing trainer but a husky knocked our DD over at a local park and now she wants to eat everything again

foolonthehill Fri 01-Feb-13 13:59:23

feeling better too.........,sigh, amongst friends.......

ClaimedByMe Fri 01-Feb-13 14:03:56

You people with more than one dog and one is anti social BD, how do they on in the house, we are contemplating a foster puppy as BD is a rescue but I am slightly scared BD will eat puppy.

I've wondered that, Claimed. I daren't bring another dog in our house, I think Jasper would combust with anxiety sad

HoneyDragon Fri 01-Feb-13 14:09:31

Bd Labrador
Bd teen Labrador

We can now 9/10 times go past dogs on lead

We are working on recall before we get within 50 ft of any dog on lead or not.

Off lead good at reading other off lead dogs body language

However

She loves people, especially dog owners. If I can't get immediate recall she will respond to leave! But will then jump up at bastard dogs owner instead. Sending bastard dog into a melt down.

Thankfully bastard dog owners are generally more forgiving than people who have forgotton how hard training a dog is and like to make bitchy comments people.

BD1 and 2 are fine with the other dogs at home, its just unfamiliar dogs that are a problem.

Dont ask me why, I have no idea.

HoneyDragon Fri 01-Feb-13 14:11:11

I know I'm not officially a bd owner. But I end up on all the same threads as you guys so may as well hang here grin

* ClaimedByMe * I have two other completely nonBD's. CollieBD was here first, she hated SillySpaniel for 2 weeks when we got him as a puppy (she was 2 and a half) and had a go at him several times. So he learnt to completely ignore her and after 2 weeks she gave up and started to play with him., they've been fine ever since.

We got SmallScruffyDog just before Christmas. Well she really hated him as he was of edible size! however she lasted a month before she started to play with him. She still growls at him if he comes up to her but she's weakening and actually quite likes him now although he is very careful around her. They are funny when they play tug as she is so much bigger she ends up throwing him about!

You just have to keep a close eye on them, especially for the first few days. Most dogs know to keep away from an unfriendly dog, even as puppies. I wouldn't get another bitch though. Not sure she'd accept that!

NotMostPeople Fri 01-Feb-13 14:17:09

BD greyhound type lurcher age aprox 18 months.

Growls at other dogs except his mates, has escalated to attempting to attack. I don't know if he actually would bite as I only let him off lead with a muzzle.

Dog trainer has him on lead walks only for the last two weeks, he's responding we'll to training and is calming down a bit.

Pluses - he is actually a big softie, sleeps a lot,likes a lie in, does everything he's asked to at home and he lubs me.

Marne Fri 01-Feb-13 14:23:11

BD Breed- Staffie
BD Age- 5 (but thinks she's 1)
BD behaviour- over friendly, loves to run up to people and knock them over and loves to run fast towards small dogs forgetting how big she is, scared of puddles, scared of birds, rubbish on the lead (pulls and pulls), have tried every type of training but nothing works. We now have a 11 week old pup who is better behaved than her.
Plus points- fine at home, sleeps most of the day (apart from half an hour of madness in the evening), great with the kids and never barks.

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Fri 01-Feb-13 14:27:24

I feel guilty having a bastard black bastard Labrador. (Your bastard dogs must all hate him, and I can see why) But agree that fellow bastard dog owners are much better than the pfb-dog types that pick up precious tootsie when BLD (bastard lab dog) approaches. tootsie is usually a spaniel sized beast who can stand on his own feet and look BLD in the eye

Am tempted to add "he's a bastard" onto my usual shameful lab-owner scream of "I'm sorry,"

Oh dear. Oh dear, dear, dear.

Just got back from walking BD - and someone complimented me on how well behaved he was as he came back when I called him (there was another dog in the distance). How lovely.

And how it all turned ugly when he caught a fecking Canada Goose.

<hangs head in shame>

ClaimedByMe Fri 01-Feb-13 15:02:01

I am going away out there to see who we can terrorise today, YAY! hmm

Exit shock Is your Bastard Spaniel still in possession of both eyes?

Good luck, Claimed <salutes>

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Fri 01-Feb-13 15:14:29

I want to join the BD Club! But ArseDog just isn't a BD! He is beeyootiful and I luffs him!

He eats shit and murders squirrels though. Can I join anyway?!

Masterchuff Fri 01-Feb-13 15:23:07

Ooh you just reminded me. BD eats car shit constantly and has putrid breath. Just been for walk. Was pleasant but saw no other dogs smile

Masterchuff Fri 01-Feb-13 15:23:23

Car shit???? Cat!!!!

TessTing123 Fri 01-Feb-13 15:34:53

Oh god. I am not alone.

<gets emotional>

BD is a rescue pointy hound / collie / gawd knows.

She barks.

She wants to kill ALL OTHER DOGS. And some children.

She barks.

She widdles in the house.

She barks.

She growls at the baby.

She barks.

She has no recall.

She barks.

She barks and barks and barks and nothing we do makes any difference. We MOVED HOUSE for this dog and still she barks. Everyone hates us. My baby has never ever slept without being woken by the fucking bastard barking dog.

Also, she barks.

And she barks.

ClaimedByMe Fri 01-Feb-13 15:38:13

For Tess wine

Well we only saw a golden lab off lead who the owner called it back and it went, BD wasnt bothered as it wasn't in her space and we chose a different route rather than pass the lab smile

topbannana Fri 01-Feb-13 15:41:27

<sigh>
Why was there no Bastard Dog Club while BlackDog still roamed this earth? We would have been fully paid up members. hmm
GingerDog is unspeakably polite, has excellent recall, tolerates all other dogs and is generally A Good Dog. I am at a loss in the face of such good behaviour and see there is no place for us here sad grin

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Fri 01-Feb-13 15:47:14

Banana, let's start our own club for good dogs!

(Though to be fair, Bastard dogs sound much more fun.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now