the secret life of dogs on tv now

(17 Posts)
RedwingWinter Fri 01-Feb-13 16:36:36

I enjoyed it but it was quite dumbed down. I would love to see a similar programme about the science of dog behaviour. And about cats, too, since cats are misunderstood even more than dogs.

DreamingOfTheMaldives Fri 01-Feb-13 15:14:37

Very true SpicyPear. My dog yawns when I am trying to clean his ears out and it definitely isn't because he thinks I'm his best friend at that moment in time!

SpicyPear Fri 01-Feb-13 13:16:41

That yawning thinf annoyed me a bit as it's also a calming signal and can be a sign of being uncomfortable. So people might think rhe dog is loving them when it is actually trying to say leave me alone!

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersWife Fri 01-Feb-13 12:55:00

Is it true about the yawning thing? I yawned at my dog last night wen I saw that bit and he started to yawn back but then stopped confused what does that mean? Are just mates? Not best friends?

DreamingOfTheMaldives Fri 01-Feb-13 12:09:16

That's exactly what I thought Toughas. I remember seeing a thread a few weeks ago where someone called dogs pointless creatures. Grrrrrr! I wonder if they would still have said that had they seen the programme.

I will have a look at the hounds for heroes website, thanks

Shame that the dog haters wouldn't have watched this, might have changed their minds about these amazing animals.

SpicyPear Fri 01-Feb-13 09:09:35

I generally didn't think much of the programme as it was so basic, but I sobbed like a baby for Endal and will definitely look to support Hounds for Heroes in the future so glad I watched it.

Cuebill Fri 01-Feb-13 08:07:58

endals webpage

Allen Parton (Endals owner) is very heavily involved in Hounds for Heroes a charity that supports service men and women who sustain injuries with assistance dogs.

If you are feeling generous or want a charity to support.......

hounds for heroes here

DreamingOfTheMaldives Fri 01-Feb-13 07:00:10

And the dog got the VC!

I may have to buy that book, although I imagine its a cryer and being pg I may flood the house!

DD and I watched this and I was completely in awe when he spoke about the accident he had (hit by a car) -the dog was injured too but managed to get the man's blanket,mobile phone and help from (pub IIRC) .

Amazing animal.

DeDevilTail Thu 31-Jan-13 22:05:16
DeDevilTail Thu 31-Jan-13 22:04:45

There'a a book about [http://www.amazon.co.uk/Endal-Extraordinary-Brought-Family-Brink/dp/0007303009 Endal and his owner]]

Aren't dogs marvellous? smile

I cried too

DreamingOfTheMaldives Thu 31-Jan-13 22:01:13

The man in the wheelchair with his Labrador had me and my husband in tears!

giraffesCantEatNHSPotatoes Thu 31-Jan-13 21:53:24

I like dogs, but don't have them. Am absolutely glued to this programme though!

DreamingOfTheMaldives Thu 31-Jan-13 21:27:42

Dogs truly are amazing. Me and mine are having sofa snuggles while watching this. It's making me broody for puppies though!

giraffesCantEatNHSPotatoes Thu 31-Jan-13 21:21:18

It is really great!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now