New dog walkers

(11 Posts)
Floralnomad Mon 21-Jan-13 15:32:15

The snow didn't arrive here until yesterday ,since when I have encountered 3 'new' dogs on the local dog walking field that I've never seen in the last 2 years . Is it just here or does snow bring out people who only walk their dogs on high days and holidays ?

Yep. Christmas had the same effect.

Floralnomad Mon 21-Jan-13 15:35:20

Not just me then , and stranger still its been men with every dog .

alwaysworking Mon 21-Jan-13 16:15:18

Maybe they don't usually take them there though? I usually take mine up into the woods but it's horrid on the roads up there and so I don't trust that I'll come out unscathed. We've been walking locally instead which is far less fun but you meet more people.

wriggletto Mon 21-Jan-13 17:28:01

Could be that the usual walk they go on is inaccessible because of the snow/icy roads, or too muddy? All my usual walks are slushy mud baths at the moment, and my 'reserve' walks are in places where I can't easily park!

Floralnomad Mon 21-Jan-13 19:24:11

Maybe , but it seems a bit odd ,its the only large open space on a quite large development so if you don't walk them there it would mean going in the car to somewhere .

mycatoscar Mon 21-Jan-13 20:10:34

Maybe they've been off work because of the snow? Therefore their walking times have been different. Or they might normally use a dog walker who takes their dog out in a car for a walk?

letseatgrandma Mon 21-Jan-13 21:11:36

Probably they're off work.People usually tend to walk their dogs at the same times-so you always see the same people! You saw a delayed or brought forward shift!

DeepRedBetty Mon 21-Jan-13 21:18:03

The places I normally go to walk my client's dogs are all a drive away, but well worth it for the fun they have, (and I have watching them). I'm not going anywhere near them until it's thawed a bit more, so today I was walking the Young Idiot Retrievers and Labradors group in a place within walking distance. Very dull it was too, hardly any trees or ponds or squirrels.

ShakeWellBeforeOpening Mon 21-Jan-13 22:59:06

Perhaps the 'new dog walkers ' are usually a bit more adventurous in their dog walks then the 'local dog walking field' but decided not to go there because of the weather.

You need to get out more grin

Floralnomad Mon 21-Jan-13 23:02:12

All true of course apart from yesterday was Sunday and I walk at all different times so invariably see lots of different people. It could be that they all use dog walkers normally who don't use our field . I would be surprised if they could find anywhere better locally to walk though as it is like a vast Heath with a nice field part ( complete with trim trail) and then some wild areas with paths through, the only thing that's missing is a lake but there are several large puddles that may join up to form one if this winter gets much wetter !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now