what to feed an old lab!

(5 Posts)
chocolatelime Mon 21-Jan-13 19:22:00

I find that James Wellbeloved is the best food for our labs. However, I am not sure if they have changed the recipe for their Turkey & Rice flavour as we had a sack recently and both my dogs did not like it. I had to supplement it with additional treats to persuade them to eat it. Very unusual as they are normally walking dustbins. In actual fact, my older lab also had quite an upset stomach on this food, but this could be down to the treats rather than the actual food.

I have now switched to the Ocean Fish flavour and this is going down very well.

I have fed my labs on JW for years and it has suited them very well.

HoneyDragon Sat 19-Jan-13 19:54:49

If he's eating the nice stuff normally, I'd keep him on his usual kibble.

Only possible reason for rejecting it might be a sore mouth.

But if he's been eating the chicken etc fine Ghana I'd stick to the kibble for a couple of days before worrying.

Cookingupastorm Sat 19-Jan-13 19:52:16

Really?! So, just like with the kids, serve it up and if he doesn't eat it, take it away and try again later! What a muppet! Thanks xx

HoneyDragon Sat 19-Jan-13 19:49:41

You are being suckered by a Lab who has been enjoying the good life grin

Cookingupastorm Sat 19-Jan-13 19:47:10

I've inherited my mums 14 year old labrador whilst she is in hospital long term. She fed him on Wellbeloved turkey and rice kibble. The last few weeks he has an upset stomach. I took him to the vets last week who prescribed some antibiotics and bits and bobs and s light diet if chiicken/rice/scrambled egg etc for a couple of days. . Forwards to a week later, tummy sorted but turning his nose up at original food. Still likes bonios etc . Should i try a different brand? If so, which one...i am having to count the pennies a bit? Or if i continue with 'human' food, what do i need to give him to ensure he has a balanced diet? Thanks in advance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now