Best tips to stop hound saying 'hello' in a bouncy way

(9 Posts)
chipstick10 Thu 17-Jan-13 08:23:46

Our boy is the same. Especially with family members. He literally hurls himself at you he has knocked me off my feet before now. I just stand with my back to him and fold my arms. It really does the trick.

PuppyMummy Wed 16-Jan-13 22:00:04

Bouncy cocker here to!
we keep a pot of tiny treats by the door. when someone comes to the door if its delivering something or coming in we give her the command 'on your step' (you could have a mat or bed, we have stairs set back about 3m from the door so people have space to get in). and get a treat out.
She has to wait on her step until people are in or door is shut then she gets the treat.

You have to build this up and keep treating but now when someone arrives ours goes to her step to wait for the treat and is less bothered by the person.

We also ask people to ignore her and/or give them a toy for her to distract her.

Twattybollocks Wed 16-Jan-13 21:05:08

I now have a sign on my door - dog in training, please do not greet her or acknowledge her in any way until she is sitting calmly. Please ignore any jumping up or other desperate measures to get your attention!

mrsjay Wed 16-Jan-13 17:22:27

put a lead on your dog let the visitors come in and sit down all the while ignoring the jumpy loon till they calm down and yes fold arms, I have a nippy dog and we have to do the above, although he is calming down

RedwingWinter Wed 16-Jan-13 16:37:25

Fold your arms and turn away from the dog without speaking to it (even saying 'no' is giving some attention). Ask all your visitors to do the same. If everyone is consistent, it will stop fairly quickly (until then she will learn gradually by person, i.e. to stop jumping on the person who always turns away but keep jumping on others).

There are alternatives - some people teach a 'say hi' command - but ignoring works best. Folding your arms sends a signal that you don't want to be bothered and it also removes hands from nipping reach.

Obviously if you have visitors who are too small/frail/need extra care for any reason, put her on a lead or shut her away when they arrive, until she's learnt not to jump.

HormonalHousewife Wed 16-Jan-13 14:47:22

Similar cocker here, and at 3 we are still sadly experiencing this.

We just ignore to be honest and I tell guests to ignore as well.

At first they say "Awww I can't ignore she's so cute" but when they realise she will either a) pee on the floor with excitement or b) have to spend their entire stay with this dog attached to them they soon learn its best to ignore in the first place.

releasethehounds Wed 16-Jan-13 14:43:15

Watching this with interest! Our border collie is 'over-friendly' in this situation and it's a difficult one to fix. She doesn't nip but she does like to jump up people when they first come in and demand a fuss, then after a minute's madness she calms down and is no trouble after that!

shoutymcshoutsmum Wed 16-Jan-13 14:38:35

My one year old GSP has the same problem. I put him on the lead if someone arrives and then retreat! he barks, desperate to go and say hello. I ask visitors to ignore him and after the frenzy of excitement, I give him a carrot to enjoy. normally after all that, he is a little calmer and the greet is less intimidating to the visitor.

ScalesAndMirrorsLie Wed 16-Jan-13 13:35:13

We have a cocker.
1 year old giddy girl.

Her favorite way of greeting visitors tithe house is lots of jumping up at them, licking, even the odd excitable little nip.

Drives me and visitors mad.

Doesn't matter who it is, or what time if day, she goes crazy for visitors.

Meeting people outside she's as good as gold. She sits and shuffles on the spot with excitement.

Please help!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now