Colitus (sp) in pup?

(13 Posts)
Marne Tue 15-Jan-13 19:42:18

Poor pup has been very poorly and started passing blood early this morning, after a morning at the vets and being starved the vet decided that it was not Parvo and was probably a tummy bug or parasite. We were tiold he has slight colitus when we picked him up so this may have caused the bleeding. Pup did not produce any poo for the vet but sinse being home he has been a few times and is still passing fresh blood sad. He seems fine in himself, he's quite playful and is very hungry, he was allowed a tiny bit of chicken tonight which he was pleased with but got very frustrated that he couldn't have anymore. He is on meds for the poorly tummy and antibiotics but so far theses no change in his poo. Does this sound like colitus? how long does it take to settle down?

HelgatheHairy Tue 15-Jan-13 22:32:33

What age is he?? Poor puppy.

My boy has had 2 or 3 bouts of colitis at this stage - he's 8 months now. The first bout of colitis settled within 2 weeks I think. That was on Hills prescription I/d food. The second bout took a little longer and now Bailey is on the prescription food full time.

The vet said the blood was a sign he'd been straining for quite a while and the starving is to give his digestive system a break and a chance to heal. The blood cleared up pretty soon (within a day or two).

We fed Bailey little and often (think we were feeding 5 times a day at one point).

Marne Wed 16-Jan-13 09:09:45

He's only 9 weeks, he seems a little bit etter this morning (not as much blood in his poo and hasn't been sinse late last night. I am just feeding him a tea spoon of chicken and rice at a time (as vet has told me to do), he's also been given antibiotics and i'm worried these could make it worse?

He was being fed 'bakers' when i picked him up which isn't great and probably made things worse, i'm not sure what to feed him once he's off the chicken and rice, are there any puppy foods for sensitive tummies?

OwlLady Wed 16-Jan-13 09:14:14

god no don't feed him bakers or any other dry food at this stage (or at all, but I don't like dry food). He needs to be eating very bland food like chicken and rice as you are doing or a prescription dog food and no dog treats at all for the forseeable future

if you ring your vet they should be able to give you some food for sensitive tummies. We had some but I have forgotten what it is called blush

Marne Wed 16-Jan-13 09:29:15

Bakers is evil isn't it? My other dog is on james welbeloved dry food which has always been ok for her, she has a sensitive tum too and its the only thing she can eat. The vet did offer me some food but said it was the same as chicken and rice, it seems to work out less money just to cook my own for him. Will have a look at other foods for the future though or find a cheaper way of buying chicken.

OwlLady Wed 16-Jan-13 09:32:22

those packs of cooked chicken are cheaper, from the cold meat aisle and well they work if you are lazy like me blush

OwlLady Wed 16-Jan-13 09:32:42

or you can buy cooked frozen chicken (from iceland)

Floralnomad Wed 16-Jan-13 09:37:19

My mums last dog had colitis his entire life and she gave him Chappie ,which was recommended by her vet and on the whole was quite good.

Marne Wed 16-Jan-13 09:41:02

I have been giving it frozen chicken from farm foods smile, probably works out as cheap as special dog food then? (i think you can get 2 bags for £6 ish).

OwlLady Wed 16-Jan-13 09:42:36

mine has had gastric problems and has tinned chappie but absolutely nothing else and the vet recommended that too floral

Floralnomad Wed 16-Jan-13 10:15:25

I think there is a lot of 'dog food snobbery' on MN and for that reason I've never declared what I feed mine , but he came to us with a free pack of a particular brand , has never had a stomach upset ( except when he ate some daffodil bulbs!) and hence I'm not going to rock the boat by changing . Should I now be cursing myself with a dog with diarrhoea Chappie will be my first port of call.

Marne Wed 16-Jan-13 10:29:50

I think a lot of dogs can eat anything (just a few that have sensitive tum's), i used to look after 4 dogs who were fed bakers complete and they were fine on it (poo's were solid and they were healthy) but if i gave it to my Staffie she would be farting for england and have runny poo's. If you have a dog food that works for you then cary on using it (changing would upset them anyhow). I wish i could find a cheaper food for both of mine.

OwlLady Wed 16-Jan-13 10:30:48

the reason bakers isn't recommended is because of the additives causing behavioural problems. Obviously this isn't unique to bakers though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now