Dogs 'falling out'

(8 Posts)
horseylady Mon 14-Jan-13 12:31:20

no idea how else to describe it!!

My older curly (5) keeps having a go at my younger curly (1). As in growling the biting her. It probably lasts about 10 seconds. Initially there seemed to a reason (laying on her, knocking her, taking a toy etc) but this last week they've both been lying quite happily then suddenly the older one gets up and goes for her.

I've just taken her to the vet to see if there's something pain related but she couldn't find anything. They happily play outside and on walks. But on the rug is where the incidents take place. I was just told they will 'sort it out'.

The younger dog now lays elsewhere away from us and the older one, while the older one lays on the rug.

I'm now feeling sorry for the younger one and wondering if we should have beds in the lounge as well so they both have their own bed in the lounge as well as in their room?! Im at a loss?!! They are otherwise very very happy dogs!!

MrsZoidberg Mon 14-Jan-13 16:44:58

Are they both bitches?

This was how my two started - about when the pup became a teenager. They now have to be kept totally apart as the older one will kill the younger one - she very nearly did the last time I trusted them together sad

It may be a good idea to get in a behaviourist to see it happen - perhaps video it as they never play up when the behaviourist is there grin. We didn't do anything in time to stop ours escalating and they now have to live seperate lives.

horseylady Mon 14-Jan-13 17:46:45

Yes they both are. We've always had two bitches?! Can there be issues with two bitches?

It doesn't happen daily probably three or four times a week. Just the last couple of times the younger one has cried!!

I don't even know if I'd have time to video it!! It happens so quickly and I never know when. Nor does it daily or in front of me all the time?!

horseylady Mon 14-Jan-13 17:47:47

Interestingly they've just laid next to each other for the past hour on the rug!!

I am a bit clueless (generally), but could the older one be guarding the rug? If it's the preferred place for snoozing?

MrsZoidberg Mon 14-Jan-13 21:40:43

With mine, it happened once. Then the next time was several months later. We thought it was just an argument over something, so ignored it and carried on as normal. Then we noticed it was happening more often, maybe monthly. Then there was a serious incident which hospitalised the pup.

We started monitoring them, and we never saw a reason. Every incident was different. Then the next major incident was also serious, more stitches sad Then the older one laid into the youngster and she would have continued until she'd killed her. It took me ages to pull her off. The pup was very badly hurt.

Since then, our whole life revolves around keeping the 2 girls apart.

This may not be the issue with yours, but please be very careful with them until you get to the bottom of it. I still think a behaviourist is the best next step.

I really hope you can get to the bottom of this.

Wow, someone else with Curlies <waves>. They are wonderful dogs aren't they? My latest Curly is 4 1/2 months old and curled up tight against me as I type this.

Years ago my Old Dog, who's a Curly/Lab cross took to attacking our full Curly, Teazle (RIP). She was also round about a year old and it coincided with her coming into her first season. It never happened again after her spay so I presume the hormones were triggering something in the older dog.

I think though, if bitches fall out properly, it can get really nasty very quickly. A friend had to rehome her younger springer bitch because she was going to get killed otherwise.

horseylady Tue 15-Jan-13 18:05:36

Well I'm hoping she was just feeling a bit off colour as there have been no unexplained attacks. I'd try anything as I'm not sure I could pick one!! I didn't realise there could be an issue. The younger one is due into season!

Hello fellow curly owner!!! Lovely breed aren't they!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now