Advice please re 5 month old lab and me in kitchen!

(4 Posts)
punter Mon 14-Jan-13 10:04:12

I have had great advice from this forum so hoping someone can help. First time puppy owner but second time dog (10 years) owner. The lab puppy is usually with me in the kitchen so we know what he is chewing/destroying. We do clicker training and he has loads of toys. And a crate. But now all of a sudden when I am preparing any food not only does he counter surf (I am used to that) but when i tell him 'Off' he then sits down and barks at me. Constantly. I know I should ignore, leave the room etc but with food around this is difficult. Should I give him a kong when I am preparing food? Or crate him (he will still bark) or put him in the garden? Perhaps we are entering the adolescent phase.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

When you tell him "Off" and he gets off the counter, does he get a reward? At such a young age (and a lab!) he probably should still be clicked and rewarded for this, otherwise why would he keep responding to the off command? I'd give him his reward and give him an alternative activity, either the kong as you say, or a sit-stay, or send him to a mat. This should distract him from making a noise, but if he does bark just ignore it.

We have a firm rule, 'good dogs' who lie quietly on their mat and don't bark, jump up or paw get fed a stream of treats. 'Bad dogs' who do these things get cheerfully sent straight outside or into the hallway. The pup still sometimes forgets herself and jumps up or paws at my legs but it's not rewarding and she's doing it less and less.

The dog I lost recently was a master at lying on her mat AT you very pointedly. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now