To neuter or not to neuter...

(37 Posts)
quazi Thu 10-Jan-13 10:34:30

Hi all, we have a lab dog who is nearly eight months old. He is a great dog, very placid despite his breed and excellent with other dogs. My dh is keen to have him done, I'm not so sure. Any advice / experiences much appreciated!

LtEveDallas Fri 11-Jan-13 13:35:09

it's all the other lifetime diseases that vets will treat that are the big money

That some dogs will get with or without neutering.... so what on earth is your point?

OwlLady Fri 11-Jan-13 13:52:26

£70 for spaying, wow! My vet costs £250

I still don't understand why people wouldn't get their dog spayed or neutered though whether it's costly or not

thegriffon Fri 11-Jan-13 14:36:53

OwlLady - my 2 year old lab hasn't been castrated yet, nothing to do with cost. He's well trained and never run off or humped other dogs (although neutered dogs often try to hump him he's not bothered by this and has perfected a sideways role so they fall off smile). I haven't ruled out castration but so far there seem to be more risks than benefits

shoutymcshoutsmum Fri 11-Jan-13 17:51:46

I got my pup neutered at 11 months. Whilst it may just coincide with him growing older, his marking of trees etc has reduced by 99% and he is much calmer. I also prefer how he looks without his giant dangly bits!

LtEveDallas Fri 11-Jan-13 18:10:38

That article is about early neutering thegriffon, not neutering. A dog that has gone through puberty (12 months to 2 years, breed dependant) is at no more risk than an entire dog.

thegriffon Fri 11-Jan-13 18:53:20

LtEveDallas - the vet told me risks of cruciate ligament rupture and bone cancer (for labs) are greatest if neutered early but there's still a risk after neutering at any age this seems to support his theory although doesn't state when the dogs were neutered.
I know it's not clear cut, that's why I'd prefer to wait until it is.

LtEveDallas Fri 11-Jan-13 19:52:56

Your choice griffon, but 3.8% - is that really a big risk?

I wonder what the percentage is of entire Labradors being stolen, or what percentage are run over? What percentage escape going after in-season females? Oh and what percentage father unwanted litters that end up in rescue?

THIS study (from the same source as yours above) shows that Labs are predisposed to ACL injuries, male or female, neutere or not. Labs have always been at risk (darn dogs) smile

MrsTucky Fri 11-Jan-13 20:39:12

I'd say neuter every time. Mine always have been.

Bowlersarm Fri 11-Jan-13 20:45:34

Our lab boy isn't neutered. We have had few problems with him. Sometimes he looks for a bit of trouble with unknown males we come across but he's so eager to please us he's by our side as soon as we need him to be

Nigglenaggle Sun 13-Jan-13 20:19:02

Multipoodles your poor vet probably wishes that you trusted them more as they try to give you a good service for the best price they can manage. Vets don't go around sprinkling fairy dust to make your animals sick. Spaying a bitch, which is major surgery, charged out 'properly' would be around £300-400 (depending on area (which affects rent and overheads)). However vets want you to neuter because its healthier for your animal. It is far more profitable sorting out womb infections and mammary cancer. But vets actually want your animal to be healthy, that is why they became vets. (For males neutering its a more controversial issue as this thread shows).

This article illustrates the continuing rise in dog thefts. A neutered dog is of much less value to thieves.

TataClaire Mon 14-Jan-13 01:06:58

I left my boy because I showed him and he had to be entire for this, but if I had the choice again I would definitely neuter. I have gone for plan B as I left it so late, he now has an implant called Suprelorin which he has put in roughly every year, it chemically castrates him, so after a couple of weeks of initially slightly more randy behaviour than usual, he calms right down, stops humping and marking every single gate post he comes across and acts like a neutered dog, with the benefit of his coat staying the same as though he were unneutered (he's a big coated breed and neutering can often make their coats harder to manage). Just another option to consider. Less permanent and no surgery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now