Spaying question

(6 Posts)
frazzled123 Wed 09-Jan-13 21:18:00

Went back to the vets for 2 day post op check with nurse. She's very realistic and said best to do small on lead walk to end of road twice a day just so she's being stimulated. She had a mad half hour earlier when she was rolling a ball in And out of her head collar, bonkers...
Put fire on which seems to have had a great sedating effect!

littlewhitebag Wed 09-Jan-13 18:01:26

We lead walked out lab after being spayed as she was getting really antsy in the house and trying to run up and down the stairs - NOT good. Gentle walks on the lead were a much better option.

Dogsmom Wed 09-Jan-13 16:57:46

I've taken all of mine out after a couple of days, they were kept on lead for the first 5 minutes then loosed off, I've always had at least 4 at a time and walk with 3 others and find they spring around/jump up a lot more on lead out of frustration. They are gsd's though and none of them have been particularly mad at any age, they tend to potter and not race around.

I did have one years ago who licked her stitches out after 3 days and the cut had already healed across

Jayne266 Wed 09-Jan-13 15:47:12

I have always told people strict lead walks only to go the toilet. But maybe the vet has noticed she is a bouncy little thing and has gave you this advice. If she pulls out her stitches or opens her wound most vets don't cover this and it's a extra fee. It's only 10 days this will give u a chance to have a little one on one time with your older dog.

Imsosorryalan Wed 09-Jan-13 15:10:14

Funnily enough I was talking about this to my behaviourist yesterday. In her opinion, as long as she is on lead and you walk where other dogs are likely to be on lead ( streets etc) you should be fine. Just her opinion though so not sure if its right.

frazzled123 Wed 09-Jan-13 13:30:31

Our six month old pup has just been spayed on Monday. She's a small jrt x possibly collie (?) and only weighs 6.5kg. The vet has given her a buster collar and said she must only toilet in the garden for 10 days, no lead walks at all.
This seems abit excessive to me, and I wondered what other people did?
Our other dog, a 6 year old male, is loving his solo walks without annoying puppy, but she is hating it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now