Picking rescue pup up on monday, his foster mum said he will be 8 weeks on Sat and had his first jabs 2 days ago (at just over 7 weeks), i went to register him at the vets today and book him in for his next jabs and was told that because he had the first before 8 weeks he may need a 3rd lot. Rescue are telling me he just needs a 2nd lot at 9 weeks. Who is correct?
Also my pup has an extra dew claw, rescue told me this should not be a problem, spoke to vets and they said 'it might be a problem and he might be able to have the claw removed when he's castrated' (which will cost me more money).
I am happy for him to have the 3rd jab and the claws removed if need be but will be a bit anoyed as my donation to the rescue is ment to cover (his chip, worming and jabs) so having to pay for an extra one because they have messed up will be a bit .
Could be Honey, they asked to see his vacination card to see what he has had, i dont have the card until i pick him up on monday. Am now worried that he's too young to be leaving mum (although mum has been removed anyway and gone to another home). Luckily my bitch will probably mother him.I will have to see what the vet says on monday.
It does vary with brand. Some of the newer vaccines Nobivac and Duramune can have the first dose given from 6 weeks of age. As far as I am aware no UK vaccines suggest giving the second dose before 10 weeks due to maternally derived antibodies. Ideally both doses should be the same brand. Also if the first injection has just been Parvo then two more doses are required. Dew-claws can only be removed from a pup over 7 days under general anaesthetic (this is the law) hence why your vets have correctly suggested them being done at the same time he is castrated. This is my bread and butter.
Also if a pup is vaccinated too early the natural immunity from the mother means the vaccine is usless, therefore only the second vaccine is acting as the first one and a third is required. I think this is the reason in USA three vaccines are used as they start early.
Than you, i dont mind if it does need a 3rd jab (though will cost me more than i thought), just wish the rescue had left it a week before giving the first. They have said i can take the pup back to them for 2nd vacine but it quite a drive so i said i would rather my vet did it (thinking all would be ok and it would save me taking the pup miles away).
Will i not be able to take him out until after the 3rd vacine?
As for the dew claws, i am bit anoyed as the foster carer said 'they would probably fall off) which i thought seemed a bit odd , the vet said to wait and see if they cause a problem, if they do they will take them off when they castrate him.
Trust me to pick the only pup with extra dew claws .
We weren't allowed to pick up our rescue pup until she had had both jabs as the fosterer said that sometimes the vets use a different brand so they have to start all over again. Sounds like this is what has happened and the vet is making out that its the rescue's fault.
You could be right blink. The vets did say 'they will let me know when they see the vaccination card', if they use a different brand will it mean i will have to take him back to the vet that did the first lot? or can they order in the same brand? i realy dont want to drive all that way .
I actually did wonder why they let the mum go when you said that on your other post , perhaps she wasn't very ' motherly' . When we got our pup from Battersea he'd had a different first vaccine than the one our vets give so our vet phoned around the local vets and found me someone who did it and arranged for me to go as a temporary client to have the second jab.
Nothing to do with brand. Is due to maternal antibody (antibody from mum) that interferes with vaccination. V important last vacc not given too soon or is pointless. Actually some current guidelines recommend 3 doses with last at 16 weeks or so. Google WSAVA vaccine guidelines if you are bored! I would get dew claws off at castration, they get annoying as they catch on things and you have to cut the nail on them.
Flora, i'm not too sure about mum, i know she was a nervous dog so maybe she wasn't a great mother? and i know the fosterer had been suplimenting them with goats milk (so maybe she stopped feeding them), the pups seemed fine without mum, confident and healthy.
I cant remember how old our other dog was when we got her, i think she was quite young but mum was struggling with 11 pups, i think she was vaccinated at 8 and 10 weeks.
There are 5 different brands. Pretty easy to find other people using Duramune and Nobivac, much harder to find Vanguard, Canigen and Quantum as these are much older vaccines and the majority of people have moved away from them. The manufacturers of the major brands will not support mixing brands between the first and second dose.
Thanks Lonecat-will find out on monday what he has had (fingers crossed its something we can get hold of easily), if he has to have a 3rd lot then so be it. I just want to get him home and not have to take him back .
He was given the first vax with the breeder using duramune but our vet uses vanguard. He had to have a third. The vet did say that speaking personally she felt he was probably covered but professionally speaking she had to advise a third. We did it as couldn't risk getting it wrong and him not being protected.
My vet advised a third shot at 12 weeks because they have seen some parvo cases in pups getting 2nd vax any earlier. Then wait a week before walking. SpicyPup was a real bitey wriggler so carrying him anywhere was a nightmare and I didn't get him out as much as I'd have liked, just very short trips.