Would you have gone to the vet too?

(16 Posts)
pimmsgalore Wed 09-Jan-13 13:10:50

Ahh poor onlydog, once she is better ask your vets if you can nip in every other week for her to get a treat and cuddle from the nurse (our nurse visits are free) and hopefully this will build up her trust in the vets. We have been doing this for the last 4 months with pimmsdog and he now sees the vets as a place where he gets 5 mins of cuddles, games to play and plenty of treats rather than that horrid place that took away his interest in girls and made him wear the cone of shame grin

MrsZoidberg Wed 09-Jan-13 12:56:41

Poor Onlydog sad I prescribe lots of TLC and snuggles with Mum on the sofa - then she doesn't have to wear the horrid collar. Hope she feels better soon.

onlyoneboot Wed 09-Jan-13 11:50:13

Yes, post op checks are free and they thought perhaps I was charged yesterday because it after hours but as soon as I got home they called and refunded me for yesterday. So, all good, except poor Onlydog is quite swollen and is on absolutely minimal exercise until it improves. All these vet visits aren't doing much for her fear/trust issues but they were great today with her. Thanks for all the advice.

pegster Wed 09-Jan-13 09:04:41

These should be post-op checks for the repeat surgery to repair the spay wound though. I would have charged you for the surgical correction but then not for these post-op follow ups.
What have they said?

onlyoneboot Tue 08-Jan-13 22:22:24

No, twooter, she was already spayed when we adopted her. She'd reacted to a single stitch that had been left in and it flared up over time. I did ask this evening if I should pay but it a muttery kind of way, I'll question it tomorrow.

onlyoneboot Tue 08-Jan-13 22:18:43

Ah, maybe tomorrow is included then, i'll check. She's not looking herself at all, poor thing.

twooter Tue 08-Jan-13 22:18:36

Did the same vets do the spay though? Because most vets will charge a consult if its a post op check on someone else's work ( though not necessarily referrals ) .

HoneyDragon Tue 08-Jan-13 22:13:38

I think you are well within your rights to question the charge as its post op.

pegster Tue 08-Jan-13 22:12:40

We don't charge for post-op checks so I think you should question the consultation fee - especially given its a post-op complication!

toomuch2young Tue 08-Jan-13 22:11:21

All post operative checks are free here too. Any worries at all they should be keen to reassure you and put your mind at rest.
Always better seen to often than too late. I'd definately query the charge though never heard of that!

NotSoNervous Tue 08-Jan-13 22:09:59

I would have went but it is a post op check and most practices don't charge so if I was you I'd question it and only be willing to pay for any extra treatment

When I worked in a vets all post op checks were free. I'm surprised they charged you at all.

pimmsgalore Tue 08-Jan-13 22:05:30

all the post op check ups etc are included at our vets so I would have gone. But then I panic when pimmsdog is ill, he is a very important part of the family now and the DC would never forgive me if I left it and something happened to him. I have decided the dog is now the same as DC if in doubt check it out (yes I spend my life split between the vets and A&E) grin

onlyoneboot Tue 08-Jan-13 22:01:35

That sounds like a great vet, Chickens. I thought they might just charge me for tomorrow's appointment because I was literally in there 2 minutes. Memories of taking first baby into A&E with a couple of spots to be told she had chicken pox blush

I would have, but my vet wouldn't have charged the consultancy fee again for the appointment tomorrow. I bloody love my vet <which is lucky as we are there a lot>

onlyoneboot Tue 08-Jan-13 21:43:40

So, Onlydog had surgery on Friday to repair her spay scar and she's been recovering well, the head collar things freaks her out so much that she's been lying uncharacteristically still and just having short walks but this afternoon she was panting and I thought around her scar looked swollen. When DH came in from work he said he was rubbing her tummy last night and had thought the same and that it had been very warm to the touch. I called the vet and they said to bring her straight in before they closed. She has a follow up appointment for tomorrow anyway but I thought they must think it urgent enough. Anyway, for 27 quid they told me that, yes, it was a little swollen and that they would see her again in the morning when I'll pay the same again and more if she needs more antibiotics.

I'm not sure I've got the hang of vets in general, my cats have never been ill (touch wood). Should I just have waited until the morning or would you have done the same? Just annoying because insurance won't cover treatment even though she was already spayed when we got her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now