Puppy died today because nobody wanted her. Please adopt a dog don't buy pups

(68 Posts)
dibsmum Sat 05-Jan-13 00:12:30

Just read about a pup that had to be put to sleep today. nobody wanted her and no space at the pound. Please consider adopting a dog rather than buying a puppy. This world doesn't have to be cruel to innocent dogs. We can all do our bit. Please help. sad

MrsDeVere Sun 13-Jan-13 22:31:51

Thank you.
I am still waiting for my call.
Its all very exciting.

LadyTurmoil Sun 13-Jan-13 19:32:32

I think the bickering was about a dog that had been adopted and then died afterwards but seemed from the thread that the adopter had done all she could (visits to vet etc) and it was the rescuer in Romania that needed reassurance that the dog had gone to a good home, although it wasn't the outcome that was wanted obviously. But, of course, you've got to be happy with the whole process. I know that they also have a separate group for "Rommy adopters" so you might want to join that and see how people there have done with their dogs...good luck anyway smile

MrsDeVere Fri 11-Jan-13 21:12:27

Thanks lady. I have found it.
I am a bit uneasy now though. There is an awful lot of bickering going on. Do you know much about this rescue?

Some of the stuff I am reading is not sitting well with me.

I do understand that these things can happen on FB and there are always internal politics but I do not want to get involved in anything dodgy.

I will keep an eye on it and will have a proper chat with the rehomer and I have the dog's carer's email too.

fingers crossed.

LadyTurmoil Fri 11-Jan-13 17:27:31

www.facebook.com/groups/actionaidforanimals/ On this group, if you scroll down to yesterday evening, you'll find it...

MrsDeVere Fri 11-Jan-13 16:58:16

lady where did you see the notification? I cant see it on FB or dogs.blog .

MrsDeVere Fri 11-Jan-13 15:13:21

Have they? oooo.
The email said they would do that pending a home check.
So i suppose I have to wait for them to call to arrange. Would be just as I have a busy week coming up! Eeek.

They will have trouble getting us all in at the same time so I hope they won't mind. OH works evenings so unless they come at 4pm and only stay for half an hour they will never catch us all here.

Probably best if they come when DS2 is at school. He will need careful prep for a new dog, specially a I am hoping she will be 'his' dog. I will be doing all the proper stuff but I want to encourage a special relationship with DS2 if possible.

Gosh.

I hope we pass the home study.

MagratGarlik Fri 11-Jan-13 12:35:06

We have two rescue dogs and adopted the first when ds2 was just 2 and the second when he was 3. Both are from large, national rescues. We also both work, but dp can leave later in the morning, walking the dogs before he goes, then a dog walker comes at lunch and walks them again and my mum brings the ds's to our house after school at 3pm, so they don't go longer than 2 hours without having someone around.

I think many rescues will rehome to homes with children, but obviously will not rehome just any dog to a hone with children, only ones they consider have a suitable temperament. This is also an advantage of a rescue over a pound, they will assess the dogs and point you in the direction of a one with a suitable temperament for you. They will also provide back up and support after adoption which can be invaluable.

OwlLady Fri 11-Jan-13 10:39:43

All of my previous rescue dogs would have been PTS. My older dog was an unclaimed stray that was rescued and ended up with us. The second one was a farm pup that was rescued by another farmer as she was going to be shot as she was no good sad and the third was rescued from a pound too but rescued by the organisation quiettiger has linked to. It makes me so sad sad

why aren't breeders or everyone actually, forced to microchip? maybe I am being simplistic but surely then everyone can be held accountable for their animals

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LadyTurmoil Thu 10-Jan-13 23:49:44

Mrs they've put up a notification that Mada is adopted on ActionAA group - hope it's you!

MrsDeVere Thu 10-Jan-13 23:32:16

Thank you.
I think I have joined. I have been joining so many rescue pages lately I have lost count!

They seem to move quite quickly. I hope to know more soon.

LadyTurmoil Thu 10-Jan-13 23:26:32

There's an Action Aid for Animals group on FB you could join as well. I joined and helped transport some donations before Christmas. The people involved seem really committed and with a good sense of humour. Hope it works out for you. smile

MrsDeVere Thu 10-Jan-13 23:20:24

They asked me if I had decided on little Mada and I said yes.
They are going to contact me about a homecheck.
Then they arrange transport and I pick her up. Luckily we are near to two of the pick up points.

I just showed OH and he seemed resigned (don't worry he was like this with the DCs as well grin)

I have already told them about the children and that one has SN. Outlined the exercise little DeVere Dog gets already.

Just so they know, to save time. I don't want to go through the hassle and them say 'we dont home to families with small children'.

So maybe......?

MrsDeVere Thu 10-Jan-13 22:43:17

They emailed me! Squeeeee!

LadyTurmoil Thu 10-Jan-13 18:51:37
MrsDeVere Thu 10-Jan-13 17:20:26

I have liked both pages on FB. Thank you.

Still havent heard back about the little dog sad
I know they are busy so am trying to patient.

LadyTurmoil Thu 10-Jan-13 16:29:52

Have you looked at www.facebook.com/SE.Dog.Rescue?fref=ts (South East Dog Rescue) and www.facebook.com/WagtailsRescueEssex?fref=ts? These are FB links but they have websites too (although some aren't as up to date as FB pages). You could also try Oldies Club if you don't mind dog being a bit older... or there's always Many Tears. I know some on here don't like them much but they often have dogs fostered in London/Surrey areas I've noticed which would be near to you. Good luck smile

QuietTiger Thu 10-Jan-13 14:10:34

MrsDeVere - it might be worth talking to Wiccaweys Here They are predominately collies, but also have a number of other little mutts, mongrels and pedigrees, all of whom are looking for a home. They also don't have blanket policies - they look at the home & support being offered before they say no. Young children are not an issue, nor is the age of adopter - my gran adopted a beautiful Border Terrier from them 8 weeks ago and she's 85 years old!

MrsDeVere Wed 09-Jan-13 20:26:32

She does look sweet. It looks like she comes from abroad.
I have told them about the kids to save time. They can just tell me no straight away if they don't home with young children.

She is the same colour as my dog. I do feel it is important to coordinate pets don't you? wink

MrsDeVere Wed 09-Jan-13 20:14:23

www.dogsblog.com/category/age/0-1-years/page/2/

I have just emailed about little Mada....

MrsDeVere Wed 09-Jan-13 19:47:52

I live in London so have the whole of London and the Home Counties to choose from!
I have a four year old x breed atm and we said goodbye to our 17 year old x terrier just before Christmas (our animals live for aaaagggeees bless him).

Terrier came from Battersea but my youngest at the time was about 8. We had to beg even then!

My little dog was from a private owner. The first dog I have ever bought and I agonised over it. We were lucky and the owner was genuine, dog is lovely but things have gone seriously downhill since then (with regards to little dogs) and I wouldn't risk it again.

The world has gone mad and the small breeds are being exploited in the most horrendous way.

It seems even worse for cross breeds now than it does for 'pedigrees'. It is insane.

I have to admit I much preferred having a puppy. After the first few weeks of house training and chewing, it seems much easier for them to fit in with the DCs than an older rescue. With older children this is probably not so much of an issue.

Anyway. Please all you doggie peeps, keep an eye out for a young, small, dog for me!

Just bumping sad

Would love a dog. Nasty landlord my mum wont let us though. Have a few years to work on her while the DSs get old enough for our local rescue to let us...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now