Puppy died today because nobody wanted her. Please adopt a dog don't buy pups

(68 Posts)
dibsmum Sat 05-Jan-13 00:12:30

Just read about a pup that had to be put to sleep today. nobody wanted her and no space at the pound. Please consider adopting a dog rather than buying a puppy. This world doesn't have to be cruel to innocent dogs. We can all do our bit. Please help. sad

D0oinMeCleanin Sat 05-Jan-13 15:02:28

GRACE are getting in a 15 month old black girl this week, who is coming to me to be cat tested but I think she is a whippety cross.

ZeldaUpNorth Sat 05-Jan-13 15:16:11

My oldest dd (9 next month) read Born to Run at school and has wanted a greyhound ever since, but i read they are programmed to chase small animals (like cats) so not sure whether to risk it. Her dreams wold come true if we got one lol.

D0oinMeCleanin Sat 05-Jan-13 15:22:16

They are bred to chase and are often trained to chase but they fail sometimes, this can be because they are not fast enough or it can be because they don't chase, for reasons known only to the dogs themselves grin.

I don't know this black girl's story yet, but I know she hasn't been worked, so she's not been trained to chase. It might still be an instinct she has, that will be my job to decide and to see if I can cat-train her or not, but she wouldn't be offered to a home with cats or children if I or Tracy, who runs GRACE decide she would be unsafe. The last thing anyone in rescue wants is a dog sent back with a black mark against their name because they've attacked a cat or bitten a child.

Around 20% of Greys can live happily with cats. Milly, the black girl coming to me will be the third pointy I have fostered for GRACE with my cat.

Shadow who is on their FB page has just left me to go to foster in Scotland, where there are less lurchers about so he might find a home quicker, he was actually scared of my cat grin

dibsmum Sat 05-Jan-13 15:27:48

I have a lurcher who chases cats but is petrified of my cat so yours may be different with his own cat. He caught her once, she kicked the crap out of him. He hasn't tried again. I caught the cat trying to murder him once, she had her paws round his neck trying to throttle him. He just cried.

NewYearNewNN Sat 05-Jan-13 15:33:25

Zelda have you tried this place?

dibsmum Sat 05-Jan-13 23:24:06

There are some great organisations helping under dogs. Happy staffie rescue is fab in the Midlands, also romanian underdogs and today I've read about lurcher link. I hope one day I will be able to help some of these organisations that do such a great job.

mrsjay Sun 06-Jan-13 10:46:29

my aunt and uncle have always had lurchers since i can remember they never chased and always just liked a seat grin they were lovely dogs,

higgle Sun 06-Jan-13 14:31:21

"Zelda have you tried this place"

They must be lovely people, half the dogs on their site are not black lab crosses at all, but lovely unfortunate dogs of other breeds they have taken pity on. Sally is just georgeous!

dibsmum Sun 06-Jan-13 15:08:07

hi higgle, not sure if it's just me but I can't see your link sad

higgle Sun 06-Jan-13 16:50:11

There wasn't one - but there you are isn't she a cutie?

dibsmum Sun 06-Jan-13 19:10:47

Sorry I misunderstood. and yes, gorgeous!

lotsofdogshere Mon 07-Jan-13 09:22:07

ZeldaupNorth, you could contact the Labradoodle Trust, they have a Facebook and website page. They re-home any poodle mix dog, including labradoodles, cockapoos, yorkipoos etc etc. One of the dogs I fostered was an 8 month old doodle with a lovely, gentle and biddable temperament. She was adopted by a family with children aged 4 and 6. The trust is careful about placing labradoodles with children under 6 because some of these dogs are huge,and whilst gentle can knock small children over due to exuberance. All the dogs they care for are fostered, so a proper assessment can be made about the dogs temperament etc to match with a family. Great to hear you are considering adoption, there are so many unwanted dogs out there

diddl Mon 07-Jan-13 09:27:38

We have a garden & dog rarely goes in it tbh.

He has never wee´d there!

He´s a rescue, lived outdoors until we took him on-aged 4

I think he just loves the security of being inside!

Even when we´re in the garden he rarely joins us.

Although by the time we´re in it it´s usually too warm for him!

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsDeVere Wed 09-Jan-13 18:14:28

I am DESPERATE for another dog.
Cant get one from Battersea or Wood Green or Mayhew because my youngest is two years old.

I am an experienced dog owner and ex veterinary nurse. Someone is home all the time.
We have garden which is dog proofed.

I want a non terrier, small cross breed. I really want a puppy but would home a young dog.

I have been looking for ages. I cannot bear to see one more photo of a 'designer cross' pictured next to a shoe or cup to show how tiny it is on gumtree or dog pages.

It make me insane!

I just want a little dog, is that too much to ask? sad

alwaysworking Wed 09-Jan-13 18:40:40

rescue wouldn't consider us as we have children, we work (even though dog would come with us), we were "out of area", the whole garden isn't dog proofed but we have a dog proofed area. the list went on and we lost patience and can see why they're full to bursting.

i now have a much-adored puppy and I'm afraid I don't regret our decision. Also a lot of dogs seem to be coming from Ireland and all over Europe which seems odd if we have too much of a rescue problem of our own.

D0oinMeCleanin Wed 09-Jan-13 18:46:03

Keep trying MrsDeVere.

I don't where you are in the country but lots of rescues home to people with children, honestly. It might not feel like it when you are turned down a lot by the bigger rescues but they do.

Try your local Dog's Trust or RSPCA branch and smaller, independent rescues Dog's Blog might have what you are looking for

it's shocking the number of unwanted animals being destroyed due to lack of homes sad

as long as there's byb's around, only interested in lining their pockets,& people buying from them (either through being unaware(hopefully the majority), not giving a shit so long as they get what they want,or doing it to save the dog/pup from a hellish situation (as i did, twice) i don't see it ending any time soon.

things need to change, massively sad

Just bumping sad

Would love a dog. Nasty landlord my mum wont let us though. Have a few years to work on her while the DSs get old enough for our local rescue to let us...

MrsDeVere Wed 09-Jan-13 19:47:52

I live in London so have the whole of London and the Home Counties to choose from!
I have a four year old x breed atm and we said goodbye to our 17 year old x terrier just before Christmas (our animals live for aaaagggeees bless him).

Terrier came from Battersea but my youngest at the time was about 8. We had to beg even then!

My little dog was from a private owner. The first dog I have ever bought and I agonised over it. We were lucky and the owner was genuine, dog is lovely but things have gone seriously downhill since then (with regards to little dogs) and I wouldn't risk it again.

The world has gone mad and the small breeds are being exploited in the most horrendous way.

It seems even worse for cross breeds now than it does for 'pedigrees'. It is insane.

I have to admit I much preferred having a puppy. After the first few weeks of house training and chewing, it seems much easier for them to fit in with the DCs than an older rescue. With older children this is probably not so much of an issue.

Anyway. Please all you doggie peeps, keep an eye out for a young, small, dog for me!

MrsDeVere Wed 09-Jan-13 20:14:23

www.dogsblog.com/category/age/0-1-years/page/2/

I have just emailed about little Mada....

MrsDeVere Wed 09-Jan-13 20:26:32

She does look sweet. It looks like she comes from abroad.
I have told them about the kids to save time. They can just tell me no straight away if they don't home with young children.

She is the same colour as my dog. I do feel it is important to coordinate pets don't you? wink

QuietTiger Thu 10-Jan-13 14:10:34

MrsDeVere - it might be worth talking to Wiccaweys Here They are predominately collies, but also have a number of other little mutts, mongrels and pedigrees, all of whom are looking for a home. They also don't have blanket policies - they look at the home & support being offered before they say no. Young children are not an issue, nor is the age of adopter - my gran adopted a beautiful Border Terrier from them 8 weeks ago and she's 85 years old!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now