Strange puppy viewing experience

(7 Posts)
Pinkbear Fri 04-Jan-13 11:36:25

Well we have been looking at getting a second dog since our last died at 15 and have been looking round rescues but not found anything sutible for a year now I happened to see a local ad for lab puppies and got in touch with the woman.

So we get there find its a small flat with 2 labs living there pups are tiny only two visable they don't look well we are told there ready Sunday at 6 weeks(I looked online and think they look more 3/4 weeks) the two are a long haired golden and black short haired girls both very quite and apparently on pedigree chum now. My partner asked when I was out of the room were the other pups were and they said they'd gone already.
We then find out mum is 9 surly too old? We said we would talk about it and get back to them. Then later in I see those two and another one for sale again Butwe were told other pups already left?

On one hand I want to rescue the poor animals take them to the vets and rehome the others myself as I feel like I'm letting them down leaving them on the other hand I don't feel I should be contributing to this type of breeding. Would any animal agencies care if I phoned them?

Pinkbear Fri 04-Jan-13 11:41:43

Oh and the two labs were black current mum and son from a previous litter just all felt so strange

littlewhitebag Fri 04-Jan-13 12:29:39

Sounds like a terrible breeder. Maybe call the council - they will have a dog warden who can advise you.

charlearose Fri 04-Jan-13 13:23:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

If it feels wrong, walk away. Don't be suckered in.

Lab pups will all have short hair; the long haired pups don't sound like lab pups although it is more than possible for 2 black parents to produce a mixed black/yellow or chocolate litter.

I would run a mile from the breeder you describe. It sounds very like a puppy farm seller.

If you want a reputable Labrador breeder, there are some fabulous, committed ones about. Avoid small ads and contact the breed society - there'll be a local branch.

Go to this site and read Charlie's story. I know Charlie - he is heaven on a stick but he has had an awful start. Read carefully the health tests a good Labrador breeder should have available for BOTH parents.

dibsmum Sat 05-Jan-13 00:31:54

Please tell the rspca about these dogs and please think about adopting a dog rather than buying a puppy. I read about a puppy put to sleep today because nobody wanted her and no space at the pound. sad

Paddlinglikehell Sun 06-Jan-13 18:14:51

We're the pups still with mum and feeding? Dud she look like she had not long had pups? Ie tests large/droopy?

Some puppy farms give pups to people who look like they have bred the pups and have the bitch, but they aren't and get a 'cut' of the price.

Go with you gut feeling. Walk away and tell dog warden and RSPCA.

If you don't buy, then they will be less likely to do it again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now